vs Virginia 9pm ACCN

Advertisement
I wouldn't be surprised if Beverly misread the scoreboard. At least 98% of the football and basketball scoreboards in this country have the home team on the right side. That's the way it's supposed to be. Check ESPN or any schedule book and it never varies...home team on the right in horizontal layout, home team on the bottom in vertical layout.

Only soccer uses home team on the left, per European tradition.

I have mentioned this to the Canes basketball program for years. They don't care. Many times when opposing fans are in high number they are startled to look up there and see themselves oriented as the home team on our scoreboard. They laugh. I have to explain the stubborn stupidity of our athletic department.

Anyway, tonight tied at 44-44 the Canes had 6 fouls and Virginia had 5. As soon as Beverly grabbed the Cavalier player just beyond midcourt and intentionally fouled, the only sensible thing I could think of was that as a freshman he instinctively looked up there on the right side and saw the home team with a foul to give.

Except it wasn't the home team

That may not have been the way it played out. I hope it was the way it played out. We deserve to lose a game via the moronic layout of our scoreboard.

D.J. doesn't even pretend to play basketball anymore. I think that forced 2 pointer to end the game was the only 2 he attempted. Otherwise it's wing and fire the 3 immediately.

Beverly has the type of right or left game that can penetrate a defense like Virginia's. Unfortunately he was far too passive for the vast majority of the game. As someone else mentioned, he needs more Wong in him.

After a season of great halftime performances they had the most asinine version of all time, a mascot basketball game featuring 5 Canes mascots and 5 from other Miami teams. That can be retired immediately. Let's pretend it never happened. The crowd reacted properly once it mercifully ended. The mascots looked up for applause. There was no applause.

I wouldn't be surprised if Beverly misread the scoreboard. At least 98% of the football and basketball scoreboards in this country have the home team on the right side. That's the way it's supposed to be. Check ESPN or any schedule book and it never varies...home team on the right in horizontal layout, home team on the bottom in vertical layout.

Only soccer uses home team on the left, per European tradition.

I have mentioned this to the Canes basketball program for years. They don't care. Many times when opposing fans are in high number they are startled to look up there and see themselves oriented as the home team on our scoreboard. They laugh. I have to explain the stubborn stupidity of our athletic department.

Anyway, tonight tied at 44-44 the Canes had 6 fouls and Virginia had 5. As soon as Beverly grabbed the Cavalier player just beyond midcourt and intentionally fouled, the only sensible thing I could think of was that as a freshman he instinctively looked up there on the right side and saw the home team with a foul to give.

Except it wasn't the home team

That may not have been the way it played out. I hope it was the way it played out. We deserve to lose a game via the moronic layout of our scoreboard.

D.J. doesn't even pretend to play basketball anymore. I think that forced 2 pointer to end the game was the only 2 he attempted. Otherwise it's wing and fire the 3 immediately.

Beverly has the type of right or left game that can penetrate a defense like Virginia's. Unfortunately he was far too passive for the vast majority of the game. As someone else mentioned, he needs more Wong in him.

After a season of great halftime performances they had the most asinine version of all time, a mascot basketball game featuring 5 Canes mascots and 5 from other Miami teams. That can be retired immediately. Let's pretend it never happened. The crowd reacted properly once it mercifully ended. The mascots looked up for applause. There was no applause.
Per the AP article, L was screaming “foul! Foul!” to the refs because he thought UVA had fouled us on the previous possession. Beverly heard him (because we have the most deathly quiet “morgue like“ arena in college basketball) and then committed the intentional foul.

You really can’t make this **** up, and it sums up this program’s current state in a nutshell.

Per the AP article, L was screaming “foul! Foul!” to the refs because he thought UVA had fouled us on the previous possession. Beverly heard him (because we have the most deathly quiet “morgue like“ arena in college basketball) and then committed the intentional foul.

You really can’t make this **** up, and it sums up this program’s current state in a nutshell.

Something tells me that's bs and L was just protecting his player. It certainly didn't LOOK like an intentional foul, it looked like Harlond was stupidly going for the steal.

Advertisement

Here it is officially. Coach L was complaining about Sam's fade away layup attempt with 17.6. Coach L saw I foul, which I did not see. Harlond is hearing Coach L yelling foul and thinks Coach L wants him to foul. Do I believe the miscommunication? Absolutely.

The sad part is that this overshadows a good performance by Harlond in the late stages of the game as he played well once Chris Lykes had to leave the game with an injury.

Coach L vs Jim Larannaga (roster manager coordinator)

Down by 2 with 4.6 seconds left in the game, let's give Coach L and his staff some credit as the play they drew up was pretty good. Miami was able to get DJ open and on the move toward the basket for a layup on the right side of the basket. The only question is, why DJ?

This is where I have questions for Jim Larannaga. Given that Harlond Beverly is more athletic and he is a better finisher around the basket, why not go to him. Harlond had scored all 6 of his points on 3 layups under the last 6 minutes of the game. Harlond, IMO, was better suited to drive the ball to the basket for the layup, not unless Jim Larannaga feels more comfortable with DJ on the free throw line in the event of a foul. I highly doubt any referee would have blown the whistle in that situation.

In fairness, the late game strategy and play was good but the decision to put the ball in DJ's hands going to the basket is what I question.

Hope it’s just precautionary

In fairness, Coach L is putting everything on Chris and it is holding the team back. Coach L actually drew up a better play against UVA without Chris on the floor for the last shot than against Georgia Tech when he just gave Chris the ball and told him to play one on one for the game winner.

There are way too many people blaming Chris when the reality is, Coach L is putting Chris Lykes in some situations where failure is the likely outcome.

Advertisement
We have better talent the Virginia

Possibly but debatable. What UVA and Tony Bennett do well is maximize the talent on the roster. UVA does not have any "5 star" players on its current roster, yet they are probably going to the ACC regular season championship (with a win over Louisville at home on Saturday). UVA is my pick to win the ACC tournament next week.

Tony Bennett has mastered how to use all 13 of his scholarships as he understands how to redshirt and develop players. Jay Huff is a redshirt junior. Kehi Clark was a 3 star point guard coming out of high school and he is one of four "3 star" players on the roster. Everyone else is a 4 star player but none of them where ranked in the top 30 when they came out of high school.

This is part of the reason why Tony Bennett has the most wins of any coach in the ACC since the 2013-14 season.

Advertisement
Back