VS FAU

Advertisement
Advertisement
We did a good job tonight taking advantage of FAU’s mistakes offensively. 46 runs over four games isn’t too bad. Toral’s turnaround in the power department has been impressive.
I thought Slade pitched well for the most part. He seemed to let some of the (many) defensive miscues get to him, but that’s not really unexpected from a freshman. In a way it’s impressive that we were able to comfortably beat a quality opponent despite playing a sloppy game defensively. On a positive defensive note, that was a heck of a catch by Gil.
Hopefully the Gators midweek troubles carry into the weekend, and we can pull a surprise in Gainesville.

6 3 sac fly

Idk what's up with Florida but bet we will see the A game this weekend

You can bank on that...though they should and normally are beatable early in the season...we have just **** the bed hitting and fielding against them in recent years.

I'm just taking the small victories...we have done what we are supposed to do pre-UF...that hasn't been the case. I'm liking the look of the squad right now...got to carry it into Canesville.

UM

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 2
Advertisement
One thing that won't be mentioned much, but the 4-run 3rd inning to break open the scoring was really sparked by some nice AB's by Lala and Del Castillo. Lala had a long AB that he turned into a high chopper up the middle that the FAU 2B couldn't make a play on. Jenkins took the next pitch into LF with a sharp ground ball between the FAU 3B/SS. Vilar struck out to make it 2 away (Amditis grounded out to start the inning), and then Zamora worked another long AB to hit a chopper that FAU's 3B couldn't make a play on.

Then...Del Castillo's AB had to have gone at least 10-12 pitches. It went 3-2, and he fouled off several offerings to stay alive, and then eventually took a fastball that got a little up into left-center for a bases-clearing double.

Now that I'm done bragging on them, here's the impressive part - the FAU pitcher looked good. Good sized lefty that was working low in the zone and had us off balance to that point. Then came those 2 AB's from Lala/Del Castillo - BOTH true Freshmen lefty batters winning the lefty/lefty matchup in the same inning. They fought at the plate and made FAU's pitcher work harder...and he just broke. It was on from there. Really great stuff from Lala/Del Castillo there...can't give them enough credit.

One thing that won't be mentioned much, but the 4-run 3rd inning to break open the scoring was really sparked by some nice AB's by Lala and Del Castillo. Lala had a long AB that he turned into a high chopper up the middle that the FAU 2B couldn't make a play on. Jenkins took the next pitch into LF with a sharp ground ball between the FAU 3B/SS. Vilar struck out to make it 2 away (Amditis grounded out to start the inning), and then Zamora worked another long AB to hit a chopper that FAU's 3B couldn't make a play on.

Then...Del Castillo's AB had to have gone at least 10-12 pitches. It went 3-2, and he fouled off several offerings to stay alive, and then eventually took a fastball that got a little up into left-center for a bases-clearing double.

Now that I'm done bragging on them, here's the impressive part - the FAU pitcher looked good. Good sized lefty that was working low in the zone and had us off balance to that point. Then came those 2 AB's from Lala/Del Castillo - BOTH true Freshmen lefty batters winning the lefty/lefty matchup in the same inning. They fought at the plate and made FAU's pitcher work harder...and he just broke. It was on from there. Really great stuff from Lala/Del Castillo there...can't give them enough credit.

That was the key inning. And I like DiMare's aggressiveness on the bases. We have scored at least two runs from second base on balls in the infield, a tag from third on a shallow fly-out, etc.

It was also nice to see Veliz throwing strikes. And Toral's approach is making the difference for him - keeping the front shoulder in and not trying to jerk everything. Let's get 2 this weekend.

Advertisement
Back