Virginia Tech Gameday - Week 9

View as article

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
1.jpg

We're coming down the final stretch of the season. As we enter November we still have a chance to win the division, which is pretty remarkable since we are 4-4. Good news for us is the game is on a Thursday night. We do pretty well on Thursday night games. Bad news is, so does Virginia Tech.

Virginia Tech has the same record as us, as they are abnormally awful this year. A win sets us up to do something that hasn't happened in school history, or if you believe rumors, allows us the opportunity to get past our impending sanctions quicker. Either way this game is important.

16.jpg

Where: Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/LandShark/Sun Life Stadium

Who:
Virginia Tech (4-4) vs. Miami Hurricanes (4-4)

W​hen: 7:30pm/et

How: TV
- ESPN

4 storylines for UM in this game:

1. I can haz a running game?
2. Will Dallas Crawford have any impact on this game?
Can Morris recapture the form he had earlier in the season?
4. Can the defense prevent Logan Thomas from having a repeat performance from last year?

After two weeks of Morris putting up unlimited passing yards, teams (starting with Notre Dame) have figured out how to prevent us from hitting big plays. That's why we need to be more productive in the running game.

Jorge Milian @caneswatch
Scary stat from the Miami Herald's Barry Jackson: Stephen Morris is 3-for-17 passing this season inside opponents' 10-yard line.

Yikes. For those who don't realize why people are upset with Fisch for not running more when the team is in the redzone, the above stat is why.

Eduardo Clements seems to have suffered the same mystery injury that plagued Marcus Forston and Ramon Buchanon. This allowed Dallas Crawford to crack the depth chart for the first time. Golden talked him up for having good practices the past few weeks. We'll see if he does anything of note or if he's just another Greentree All-American.

I don't know if I can bear the thought of that glorified TE Virginia Tech has under center having another near perfect performance against us.

Last time they met: October 8, 2011. Virginia Tech won 38-35

[video=youtube;GqP8bXywFhI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqP8bXywFhI[/video]

So thankful that Spooner had the good sense to cut it off after Miller's TD run. SMH...disappointment thy name is Dorito.

What people were saying during the subsequent meltdown:

We weren't around for this game last year, so I once again turned to CanesOverHere for reference.

DaveCokerstadt said:
D'Onofrio makes Tom Olivadotti look like One of the Ryan brothers. I still think some of Shannon's boys are dogging it on defense to make this guy look bad. I could be wrong but I've never seen a Canes defense look so much like the 3 stooges X3. Sad....

He may be on to something. After all, the defense is so bad it's like they're trying to suck.

Know your enemy:
Gobbler Country

What they're saying:

chicagomaroon said:
Hokies Win If: They play defensively like they did for two quarters and change against Clemson, do not turn the ball over, fire most of their offensive coaching staff...oh, and get a competently-officiated game (A.K.A. not gonna happen)
Hurricanes Win If: They do something they haven't done yet to a serious team this year: Slow down their offense. They'll have a good chance to get their first against the Hokies. Also put themselves in position to get calls against the Hokies, because the ACC has established it is okay to gang up on them.

Gif that sums up the bolded portions:

1.gif

10.png
Miami Notes:

1. The season is on the line, no big deal
2. Tyriq McCord rushing to gain experience
3. Olsen Pierre might end up being our best DT on this team.

Lucifer is a pretty bad-*** nickname. Hopefully his play backs up a nickname like that.

1.png
Virginia Tech
Notes:

1. Virginia Tech hasn't won away from Blacksburg this year.
2. Virginia Tech's struggling offense hopes to pounce on our ****** defense.
Logan Thomas LOL's at our home field advantage

Anyone jammed up about Logan Thomas' comments better be at the game screaming their asses off. Otherwise don't bother complaining.

Favorite Virginia Tech related Image, Photoshop, or Gif
:

2.gif

That'll do Nate...that'll do.

Extremities/Suspensions/Funerals:

10.png
Miami 2-deep depth chart

Injuries:

Miami (FL) Hurricanes
Next game: Virginia Tech at Miami (FL) on 11/01​
DatePlayer NamePosStatusInjuryNotes
10/30Curtis PorterDTQuestionableAppendixPorter has yet to play this season as he is still recuperating from an appendectomy. The junior missed 10 games last season due to injury. There is no timetable for when he will return.
10/28Eduardo ClementsRBOut For YearUndisclosedBackup running back Eduardo Clements is out for the year with an undisclosed injury. He played in seven games this season carrying the ball 16 times for 70 yards and two touchdowns.
10/25Kelvin CainLBOut For YearPersonalUpperclassmen Kelvin Cain has reportedly left the team, though there are conflicting reports on whether this was voluntary or not. Cain had 11 tackles on the year, including one sack.
10/19Ben JonesOLOut For YearFootReserve offensive lineman Ben Jones missed the game against North Carolina and is now out for the year.
10/02Jermaine JohnsonOLOut For YearPersonalJermaine Johnson has not been with the team for a few weeks now due to personal reasons and there is no timetable for when he'll be back.
09/23Malcom LewisWR Out For YearAnkleFreshman wideout Malcom Lewis went down with a dislocated ankle on Saturday against Georgia Tech. He is out for the year. He caught 8 passes for 73 yards and one touchdown this season before the injury.
09/19Sean McNallyLSOut For YearUndisclosedJunior Sean McNally is expected to miss the remainder of the season with an undisclosed injury.
09/09Ramon BuchananLBOut For YearKneeBuchanan will miss the rest of the season with a right knee injury he suffered during the Kansas State game. The fifth-year senior was also injured last season after starting only 4 games.

1.png
Virginia Tech 2-deep depth chart

Injuries:

Virginia Tech Hokies
Next game: Virginia Tech at Miami (FL) on 11/01​
DatePlayer NamePosStatusInjuryNotes
10/31Caleb FarrisCProbableAnkleReserve center Caleb Farris has been upgraded to probable for the game against Miami Thursday.
10/29Joshua StanfordWROut For YearKneeReserve wideout Josh Stanford is out for the year with a knee injury.
10/29Riley BeiroSOut For YearShoulderBackup safety Riley Beiro is out for the year with a shoulder injury. He had one tackle in six games played.
10/29Christian ReevesWRQuestionableHamstringBackup wide receiver Christian Reeves is questionable after missing the game against Duke due to a hamstring injury. He has only one catch for six yards all season.
10/29Andrew MillerCOut For YearAnkleStarting center Andrew Miller went down last Saturday with a fractured ankle. He is out for the year, Michael Via moved over to center when Miller went down.
10/29Eric MartinTEQuestionableShoulderStarting tight end Eric Martin is questionable after missing the game against Duke due to a shoulder injury. He has caught three passes for 16 yards and one touchdown on the season.

Gameday Character:

We've lost 3 games in a row, and 3 in a row to Virginia Tech.

To break trends like these we're going to have to consult with a madman to get things fixed.

2.jpg

Bow Bow

Lets Go Canes!

Last edited:
Advertisement
LOL@ them crying about the officials. Someone should tell them that FSU fans have the market cornered on whining about ACC officials.

VT ranks up there with FSU for the amount of disdain I have for those ********. I am tired of losing to them year after year, can we please step up at home and get a big win.

Advertisement
LOL@ them crying about the officials. Someone should tell them that FSU fans have the market cornered on whining about ACC officials.

Every team's fans think their team gets screwed by the officials just like almost every team's fans think the media coverage of their team is biased.

And to be fair to VT, I didn't see it, but heard from some people who were neutral on VT vs Clemson that VT got boned pretty hard on at least 2 calls in that game.

The last time we beat Virginia Tech was a Thursday night game, at home, in November. Hokies are going down, Gary.

Every team's fans think their team gets screwed by the officials just like almost every team's fans think the media coverage of their team is biased.

And to be fair to VT, I didn't see it, but heard from some people who were neutral on VT vs Clemson that VT got boned pretty hard on at least 2 calls in that game.
Yeah, they got boned on those calls. I don't have a problem saying that. But even if those calls go VT's way, they weren't beating Clemson--and Clemson was having a majorly off-day, and was still going to win that ballgame.

Yeah, they got boned on those calls. I don't have a problem saying that. But even if those calls go VT's way, they weren't beating Clemson--and Clemson was having a majorly off-day, and was still going to win that ballgame.

Yeah, from what I heard it most likely wouldn't have made a difference, I was just mentioning it b/c I actually heard from friends, unprovoked, that had no vested interest in the game that Tech got screwed, so I figured they must have been pretty bad if they were asking if I had seen them.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back