Virginia Tech (Game 2) 7pm ACCNX

Advertisement
Rosario and Mederos are the guys we’ve been missing. Starters like this are what carry you through the postseason. Glad to see our staff finally catch up with the times, and move on from the slow lefties we used to run out there 3 times a week.
You been in a coma for the last 3-4 years?

You been in a coma for the last 3-4 years?
McKendry wasn’t a flame thrower. McMahon, BVB and Slade are the only ones recently who consistently sat above 90. We only had them for one full year as a weekend rotation. So no I haven’t been in a coma. Before that we ran out slow lefties for a decade. We would always have one guy who threw hard. Mediavilla, Suarez, etc.

Wasn’t able to watch tonight. Good to see the win. I saw bits and pieces of game. Rosario’s was dealing. That was great to see. Also loved reading in here that new face in lineup had 2 rbis. Bats were non existent in couple innings I saw. Let’s take care of business tomorrow

Last edited:
McKendry wasn’t a flame thrower. McMahon, BVB and Slade are the only ones recently who consistently sat above 90. We only had them for one full year as a weekend rotation. So no I haven’t been in a coma. Before that we ran out slow lefties for a decade. We would always have one guy who threw hard. Mediavilla, Suarez, etc.
Forgot Veliz.

So, yeah. For like the last three years we haven’t been trotting out multiple soft throwing lefties every weekend.

Advertisement
Forgot Veliz.

So, yeah. For like the last three years we haven’t been trotting out multiple soft throwing lefties every weekend.
Veliz wasn’t a starter. And like I said we only had those three for a rotation last year. 2019 was the first year we had hard throwers as starters, but you’re forgetting Slade was midweek then. It was BVB, McMahon and McKendry. For f**** sake we were still running out Jeb Bargfeldt 3 years ago.

Veliz wasn’t a starter. And like I said we only had those three for a rotation last year. 2019 was the first year we had hard throwers as starters, but you’re forgetting Slade was midweek then. It was BVB, McMahon and McKendry. For f**** sake we were still running out Jeb Bargfeldt 3 years ago.
Veliz was a starter. Period.

Maybe you said the phrase “slow lefties three times a week” as some sort of hyperbole - sorry if I missed it - doesn’t make it any less untrue.

Veliz was a starter. Period.

Maybe you said the phrase “slow lefties three times a week” as some sort of hyperbole - sorry if I missed it - doesn’t make it any less untrue.
Veliz started for one year and only made 2 weekend starts if I remember correctly. And that was at the very end of the year against like BC and Tech maybe. Nobody is discussing midweek.

Edit: I’m forgetting Lepore. He was the one guy I couldn’t think of. But he threw no harder than Mediavilla. 88-92 isn’t hard in college. We were way behind on having multiple guys that can sit 92+ that’s a fact.

Veliz started for one year and only made 2 weekend starts if I remember correctly. And that was at the very end of the year against like BC and Tech maybe. Nobody is discussing midweek.

Edit: I’m forgetting Lepore. He was the one guy I couldn’t think of. But he threw no harder than Mediavilla. 88-92 isn’t hard in college. We were way behind on having multiple guys that can sit 92+ that’s a fact.
Fair enough - I don’t wholeheartedly agree, but that’s not what you originally said. I mean how many college staffs have three guys that sit 93+? Can’t be more than a handful every year (most of those guys are getting paid to throw baseballs) and I don’t think it’s a prerequisite to postseason success. 2019 Vandy had Rocker throwing bbs, but that’s really it.

And you’re also forgetting that Veliz was a weekend starter. I know. I was there. I saw it. Was the year he got hurt, but he probably made like 8 weekend starts that year.

Ultimately, though, we’re unnecessarily splitting hairs. Sorry if I offended your honor by making a coma joke.

Advertisement
Fair enough - I don’t wholeheartedly agree, but that’s not what you originally said. I mean how many college staffs have three guys that sit 93+? Can’t be more than a handful every year (most of those guys are getting paid to throw baseballs) and I don’t think it’s a prerequisite to postseason success. 2019 Vandy had Rocker throwing bbs, but that’s really it.

And you’re also forgetting that Veliz was a weekend starter. I know. I was there. I saw it. Was the year he got hurt, but he probably made like 8 weekend starts that year.

Ultimately, though, we’re unnecessarily splitting hairs. Sorry if I offended your honor by making a coma joke.
That was his freshman year and only started on the weekend a couple times. Next year he made 4 starts and then got hurt.

Vandy was loaded with pitching in 2019. It may have not seemed like it bc they didn’t have a Fulmer, or Buehler, or a David Price. But Fellows threw 94, Raby 93, and Hickman topped out at 93-94. Rocker didn’t even break the weekend rotation til later in the year. They had about 6 or 7 guys that could throw 93+

That was his freshman year and only started on the weekend a couple times. Next year he made 4 starts and then got hurt.

Vandy was loaded with pitching in 2019. It may have not seemed like it bc they didn’t have a Fulmer, or Buehler, or a David Price. But Fellows threw 94, Raby 93, and Hickman topped out at 93-94. Rocker didn’t even break the weekend rotation til later in the year. They had about 6 or 7 guys that could throw 93+
I know. I said the exact words (“he got hurt”). Maybe it was only 4, coulda swore it was more. Doesn’t change the fact he was a weekend starter. Can’t really blame the staff that one of their unicorns (college arms throwing 95 aren’t really common) got hurt. It was, clearly, part of the plan.

You're moving the goal posts. None of those guys sat 93+. They touched/topped 92-94... the same way Lepore did.

I know. I said the exact words (“he got hurt”). Maybe it was only 4, coulda swore it was more. Doesn’t change the fact he was a weekend starter. Can’t really blame the staff that one of their unicorns (college arms throwing 95 aren’t really common) got hurt. It was, clearly, part of the plan.

You're moving the goal posts. None of those guys sat 93+. They touched/topped 92-94... the same way Lepore did.
My first response to you said those were the only guys we had that consistently sat 90+. Before this year we are talking about 7 guys in about 7 years. I’m including McKendry and Mediavilla in there. And both those guys were 88-90 after 4-5 innings. That hasn’t been good enough. Which is my main point. We’ve been way behind the top teams in the pitching department the last decade.

My first response to you said those were the only guys we had that consistently sat 90+. Before this year we are talking about 7 guys in about 7 years. I’m including McKendry and Mediavilla in there. And both those guys were 88-90 after 4-5 innings. That hasn’t been good enough. Which is my main point. We’ve been way behind the top teams in the pitching department the last decade.
17, 18, 19, 20 - did we throw “slow lefties three times a week” (your words)?

I get it - the Bargfeldts and Radziewskis of the world aren’t very **** (they do seem to get a lot of college hitters out though - I’m guessing you watched our last two games...).

Advertisement

I get it - the Bargfeldts and Radziewskis of the world aren’t very **** (they do seem to get a lot of college hitters out though - I’m guessing you watched our last two games...).
I’ve already said Mediavilla and Bargfeldt were 17 and 18. And we’ve talked about 19 and 20.

Slow lefties were a staple of what we used to do. This goes back a decade. Off the top of my head I can name Diaz, Erickson, Woodrey, Epstein, Bargfeldt, Ewing, Garcia, Cook, and Carmona. Then borderline hard throwers in Mediavilla and Radziewski.

I know my 3 slow lefties every week was an exaggeration. I’m making the point that aside from last year, we haven’t had a rotation that had this kinda stuff. I loved McKendry, Mediavilla, and Radziewski, but when they made mistakes they got hammered. We have guys now that can make mistakes and not get hurt bc of the velo. It makes an enormous difference.

Any hitter that’s seen it will tell you, 90-92 is a world away from 94-95 and anything over 95 isn’t fair.

I know my 3 slow lefties every week was an exaggeration. I’m making the point that aside from last year, we haven’t had a rotation that had this kinda stuff. I loved McKendry, Mediavilla, and Radziewski, but when they made mistakes they got hammered. We have guys now that can make mistakes and not get hurt bc of the velo. It makes an enormous difference.

Any hitter that’s seen it will tell you, 90-92 is a world away from 94-95 and anything over 95 isn’t fair.
You see? that’s a measured, nuanced take that I can (mostly) agree with. This was my goal at the beginning - to call out your ridiculous hyperbole (by using a ridiculous point of my own) for what it was and get us back into normalsville.

I know. I’m one of those hitters that could tell you. If it’s flat, you can get the barrel to it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’ve already said Mediavilla and Bargfeldt were 17 and 18. And we’ve talked about 19 and 20.

Slow lefties were a staple of what we used to do. This goes back a decade. Off the top of my head I can name Diaz, Erickson, Woodrey, Epstein, Bargfeldt, Ewing, Garcia, Cook, and Carmona. Then borderline hard throwers in Mediavilla and Radziewski.
Exactly. Used to. 10 years ago, sure. 3-4 years ago? Not so much. Hence... a page worth of our useless back and forth.

I don't know what you consider "top" of the order but the 1-2-3 hitters went 4-for-10 and got on base 6 times.
To be honest, the offense was nothing special. 7 singles and 3 hits total after the 1st is nothing to write home about. But, yeah. It’s weird to ask for more from the top 3/4, when 5-9 had 1 hit total (“clutch” though it was - or, as clutch as you can get in the 1st inning of the 5th game of the year).

I’d like to see Morales in the 2 hole. It’s early, but he seems like the prototypical modern day guy for that spot (much more so than Villar, anyway).

Advertisement
Back