Vintage Miami Hurricanes newspapers

Trescerocinco

Retired staff
Premium
Recently go my hands on the Miami Herald cover after the Orange Bowl in 1988 and the Team of the 80's cover that was published in 1990. Was wondering if anyone on here has any of the other covers from the 83,89, 91 or 2001 championships im trying to build a complete framed collection for my house. PM if willing to sell any.
57912312033__A9480307-2ED2-48C7-90D2-A9C824FB93B4.JPG
57912313247__0F1BFD7F-BF2E-4B42-B463-179E3B074C72.JPG

Advertisement
Recently go my hands on the Miami Herald cover after the Orange Bowl in 1988 and the Team of the 80's cover that was published in 1990. Was wondering if anyone on here has any of the other covers from the 83,89, 91 or 2001 championships im trying to build a complete framed collection for my house. PM if willing to sell any.View attachment 84984View attachment 84988
I'll buy both...

Recently go my hands on the Miami Herald cover after the Orange Bowl in 1988 and the Team of the 80's cover that was published in 1990. Was wondering if anyone on here has any of the other covers from the 83,89, 91 or 2001 championships im trying to build a complete framed collection for my house. PM if willing to sell any.View attachment 84984View attachment 84988
Don't have the Newspaper...but I have every SI UM NC Cover framed...One signed by Dorsey...You can buy them online...

Those are awesome memories, remember each one of those. Unfortunately, I never gave a thought to saving any of those.

I had a ton of stuff that got lost over time. I had the "free posters" they used to make each year, like the one with Melvin Bratton running out of the mist. I had Media Guides. I may still have the "scoreboard" sheet that was printed out after Wide Right I, with a bunch of signatures (including Stephen McGuire's). I had a ton of old Miami Heralds, Miami News, Miami Hurricanes, and SI covers (before I started to boycott them).

Good times.

By the way, a friend found it for me, but I finally got my hands on the floppy plastic 45 RPM with the "Fun in the Sun" song that was commissioned by the old USBG back in 1986. Yes, our Student Government tried to pay some local music hack to write a song to replace our alma mater.

"We'll have fun in the sun
After all the work is done
Weekends are for sailing with a friend
It's a real good combination
And a first class education
It's a Magic place
UM is the one"

Good lord, that song traumatizes me, but I had to replace the 45 that I lost. THEY PUT IT IN OUR ORIENTATION BAG. Seriously.

Advertisement
I might have a 2001 paper somewhere. "The Perfect Storm"

I have a lot of Canesports from 1992 to 1997 (Not all but quite a few, I also have game programs 90's. I have one Orlando Sentinel Sports page from Jan 4th, 2002 headline is UM-believable!Miami runs away from Nebraska

Advertisement
I had a small newspaper article from the 1988 loss to ND where the head official said they made a mistake, and that it should have been Miami's ball, 1st and goal at the one. I'm still furious about that call, and quite frankly I was shocked they came out and said how badly they messed up.

I have a lot of Canesports from 1992 to 1997 (Not all but quite a few, I also have game programs 90's. I have one Orlando Sentinel Sports page from Jan 4th, 2002 headline is UM-believable!Miami runs away from Nebraska
Me too, I want to throw it away thinking it will help lift some kind of curse but I can't cause at the end of the day superstition are for fairies.

Advertisement
I used to have all of the cards they printed after the game with the score on them. Anyone remember after the 89 ND game they printed ones that said 24-10 because they didn't think Erickson would be a **** and kick a FG at the end to run up the score?

I used to have all of the cards they printed after the game with the score on them. Anyone remember after the 89 ND game they printed ones that said 24-10 because they didn't think Erickson would be a **** and kick a FG at the end to run up the score?
I’m ****ed Coach E didn’t go for a TD and make it 31-10 or better yet go for 2 and make it 32-10. That team was on a mission that night as many of them were in South Bend the year before for the armed robbery.

Advertisement
I had a small newspaper article from the 1988 loss to ND where the head official said they made a mistake, and that it should have been Miami's ball, 1st and goal at the one. I'm still furious about that call, and quite frankly I was shocked they came out and said how badly they messed up.

Yep. After the season, the NCAA banned "split-squad" referee crews. Back in the day, both UM and ND were major independents, so our games would feature half a crew from one conference, and half a crew from another conference.

The idiot refs at that 1988 game mistakenly thought we had a 4th and goal situation, when it was actually 4th and 7 from the 11. Cleveland Gary made it to the 1 yard line, should have been first and goal.

But the refs gave it to ND...ON DOWNS...it was NEVER ruled a fumble. Jimmy Johnson was jumping up and down on the sidelines making the FIRST DOWN motion, not the "runner-and-ball-were-down-by-contact" motion.

The refs spotted the ball at the ONE (where Cleveland Gary's knee went down), NOT AT THE THREE where Stonebreaker recovered the "fumble". I hate Lou Holtz for falsely calling it a "fumble" in his autobiography.

Never forget.

Man I'm too young to remember the 80's, but **** I know it was lit! listening to my dad tell me the old stories.....

Advertisement
Back