Views on Baker

Bakers in the deep end, that much has been obvious to anyone not blindly ignoring the glaring issues on D all year. If King doesn't have a career game Friday night, we lose. For my money, if we're going to take the next step I feel like we need to abandon Manny's whole system.

Yes, we had highly ranked D's in both 2017 and 2018, but that was largely a product of padding stats against mediocre ACC competition. If our goal is to occasionally win the Coastal and be a warm-up game for Clemson in the ACCCG every few years, Manny's defense is for you. But look what happened when we played any respectable or marquee programs during that stretch:

2017: Clemson - 38 points
2017: Wisconsin - 34 points
2018: LSU - 33 points
2018 Wisconsin- 35 points

If you want to point out the 8 points we held ND to in 2017, fair enough. That was at the pinnacle of our run and is the outlier, but its worth mentioning.

For most of us the goal is to be back in the national title picture every year. That means better recruits, better coaching and IMO a better defensive system. Manny recognized that he ****ed up hiring Enos, ****canned him after 1 year and got the University to open up the wallet and pay Lashlee. He needs to do the same for the defense.

Advertisement
No question he has to go. It's like a driving instructor who constantly has to take over the wheel because the student keeps ******* up. Baker has showed us nothing. The fact that there is even a debate on whether he has to go or not is ridiculous.

I feel that the Baker heat has turned up after Friday night. My view is 50/50 on him. I totally understand either way whether to keep or fire him. Do people think he’s going to be fired. Or just want him to be fired?

Baker isn't the guy—but don't see Manny letting him go, either, as theoretically he's "doing enough" because the Canes are 6-1.

Baker truthfully doesn't have the personnel—but he's also not doing enough with what he has. These guys don't look like a sound, fundamental defense.

He needed Manny to dive in last year to help and this year it's Lashlee and King outscoring people that is saving him from deserved criticism.

The Canes are going to have a solid finish in 2020—saved by King—but when Miami can't outscore people in 2021, Baker will be fully exposed and the Canes are going to backslide.

Manny had the wherewithal to dump Enos after one year—but Dan wasn't "his guy"; he was a last-second reel-in as Diaz was handed the keys late in the game and had a recruiting class to save.

Baker was hand-picked by Manny and until Diaz shows he can fire his guys for underperforming—a Rumph, a Banda, a Patke, a Baker, etc.—question marks will remain around his abilities to be a true leader for this program.

Again, he's a head coach who prefers to be liked / accepted than feared / respected—and the way he handles assistants is just one more strike against him as "the guy" for Miami.

Baker should go after 2020, but he'll be back in 2021 and the wheels will fall off for him defensively (without an offense to bail him out). Book it.

I feel that the Baker heat has turned up after Friday night. My view is 50/50 on him. I totally understand either way whether to keep or fire him. Do people think he’s going to be fired. Or just want him to be fired?
What? He's kept his entire D staff (with the exception of Simpson, who left) intact since he arrived and Enos was a good to very good hire on paper.
This is the part no one EVER addresses. Simpson is ELITE and that D Line prowess proved to be effective regardless of which of these bïtch *** ACC O Lines held for dear life with ZERO calls. Bïtch about Baker all you like but our D line coach now is not coaching the same tenacity as when Jess Simpson was here, these O lines hold, and guys like that FSU reject Friday night get 5 months in the pocket causing our DBs to run around the field aimlessly.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back