Views on Baker

Canesbro31

Sophomore
I feel that the Baker heat has turned up after Friday night. My view is 50/50 on him. I totally understand either way whether to keep or fire him. Do people think he’s going to be fired. Or just want him to be fired?

Advertisement
He's at the wrong level, honestly. It was a gamble and Manny crapped out. If he truly wants to build something here, the guy will have to go.

I know Baker put up some good statistics at his last spot, but you only pluck some inexperienced guy with no D1 resume from LA Tech like that if they're some whiz kid. Two years in, its obvious.

The guy wouldn't get offered a DC job almost anywhere at this level.

It’s ominous when a head coach has to keep firing guys . Diaz can do either it just depends on whether he wAnts to run the D. Baker’s defense has lost all core principles of diaz (simple, fast, negative plays, prevent big plays). They have lost their way.

It’s ominous when a head coach has to keep firing guys . Diaz can do either it just depends on whether he wAnts to run the D. Baker’s defense has lost all core principles of diaz (simple, fast, negative plays, prevent big plays). They have lost their way.
And it seems turnovers are way down too.

Advertisement
What? He's kept his entire D staff (with the exception of Simpson, who left) intact since he arrived and Enos was a good to very good hire on paper.
IF he fires Baker he will have changed much of his staff over two years. That tactic is ominous. I’m not anti-Diaz but the obvious question in these scenarios is why they’ll keep getting it right down the line if they failed the first time. That is why it is ominous. I’m sure there are exceptions but Shannon for instance was like that.

under manny the defense was good for 2-3 turnovers a game it seemed like

it seems like a miracle if baker ever gets any.

the d line was disruptive and causing havoc with manny, non-existant with baker

the difference between the 2 calling the defense is so way beyond each other, that anyone that questions me about it should be ashamed. There's an IMMENSE difference between the two, absolutely huge.

Advertisement
We give up 40+ to NC State and we still tip toeing around the issue of firing a high school grad for a PHD level job! Why don't you defenders of same kind accept we can do better coordinator, evaluation and coaching wise with Winston Moss. We have Dorsey OC, Moss DC, you get my point. Allow them the chance to fail just like these unqualified people of privilege.

IF he fires Baker he will have changed much of his staff over two years. That tactic is ominous. I’m not anti-Diaz but the obvious question in these scenarios is why they’ll keep getting it right down the line if they failed the first time. That is why it is ominous. I’m sure there are exceptions but Shannon for instance was like that.

The issue was Shannon couldn’t land the right coordinators.

The best defensive coordinator he hired i forget his name. He didn’t get fired he went back to Kstate after only a season with us.

As far as the OP.

I’d typically be ok with Manny just taking the play calling duties away but for two things.

1) baker is not a great recruiter which typically young guys do well with recruiting with their energy and ability to connect with kids( due to a smaller age gap) alone. If he can’t recruit now I think he only gets worst with age.

2) Manny doesn’t want to be a full time sideline play calling head coach. I want Manny to do what his vision is. because I want no excuses or distractions for him.

So in that case Baker has to go.

under manny the defense was good for 2-3 turnovers a game it seemed like

it seems like a miracle if baker ever gets any.

the d line was disruptive and causing havoc with manny, non-existant with baker

the difference between the 2 calling the defense is so way beyond each other, that anyone that questions me about it should be ashamed. There's an IMMENSE difference between the two, absolutely huge.
I forgot we had that gaudy chain. They had to dust it off in the fourth quarter last game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well yes, that’s a glaring problem that everyone overlooks. “Hey, he was smart enough to make a change”, but...”hey, he was dumb enough to make a terrible hire in the first place”. Firing your own guys vs firing someone else’s is not the same.

I feel that the Baker heat has turned up after Friday night. My view is 50/50 on him. I totally understand either way whether to keep or fire him. Do people think he’s going to be fired. Or just want him to be fired?
He's trash, just like this defense. Just watching the UF/UGA game ND, and others on Saturday should really give credence to Baker being gone. Our defense has regressed since the FSU game. Unfortunately, Baker's not going anywhere and neither are we. He is the weakest link. We are constantly out of alignment, not to mention seem lost in coverage time and time again. Linebackers are straight garbage. LB coach needs to kick rocks as well. We do miss Flagg. McCloud and Jennings need to be on the bench. Are all of our other LB that bad that coaches won't put them in or are the coaches that incompetent that they can't see what's in front of them?

Advertisement
Obvious to everyone Baker is over his head. Manny went with the cheap disciple hire (after throwing the kitchen sink $$$ at Enos) and it isnt working. The D clearly is not as good as when Manny ran it under Richt.

Baker and Rumph can go.

That said, we win 10+, doubt Manny fires anyone

He's at the wrong level, honestly. It was a gamble and Manny crapped out. If he truly wants to build something here, the guy will have to go.

I know Baker put up some good statistics at his last spot, but you only pluck some inexperienced guy with no D1 resume from LA Tech like that if they're some whiz kid. Two years in, its obvious.

The guy wouldn't get offered a DC job almost anywhere at this level.

that’s the point I keep trying to drill into peoples heads. Not one of our defensive coaches besides maybe and I mean maybe Banda would even coach at a power 5 program if they got fired. That’s terrible. We have a AAC type of coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball. It’s amazing manny doesn’t realize that.

not one guy will every be promoted or plucked away from us be someone else who wants them. That’s eye opening.

I can't think of one legitimate reason to keep him around.

Yes, it would be real interesting to look at the pay for the coaches on the defensive side of the ball. And if the salaries are as low as presumed, would the budget dictate proportional replacement cost? That could be a big problem when searching for replacements.

Advertisement
Back