Veteran Offensive coordinator

Advertisement
Do you think it's time to hire an veteran assistant offensive coordinator with creative schemes to use our fast South Florida weapons?

Do you think it is time to take abig morning **** after that first cup of coffee?

That is clearly not going to happen. Richt is not giving up play calling, and Thomas Brown is not going to take a demotion. We do need to improve our scoring significantly though. I don't expect us to produce at Oklahoma levels, but the neighborhood of 33-35 ppg is a reasonable goal. Not sure it'll happen with another 54% year from Rosier. Need major improvement from him or a surge by Perry/Williams.

Advertisement
Check out Kaaya's numbers from the second half of the Notre Dame game through the end of the season, Same with Walton, Richards and Njoku.

CMR's offense was cranking out big numbers and kept getting better after some early struggles.

Kaaya-About 1500 yds with 15 TDs and 1 INT.
Njoku-About 500 yds and 8 TDS
Walton-Four straight 100+ yd games
Richards-Three straight 100+ yds games--frosh AA

When the pieces were in place and healthy, we scored just fine.

Yes if only we had a scheme that’s designed to get our guys wide open in the secondary!!!!

I seriously question if some people actually watched the games last year instead of just looking at the final score/stats.

Richts scheme doesn’t have all the bells and whistles (which is just window dressing to any semi-competent DC) but it was effective in the sense that the plays were there to be made. Rosier just missed, and missed a lot.

How many times did he miss JT deep? How many times was Berrios open short/intermediate and had to dive or slide to catch a ball? If Rosier puts the throw where it needs to be, it’s an easy catch and run for a big play.

With an accurate QB, Richt is going to look really good. The question is can he find and develop that guy sooner rather than later.

Yes if only we had a scheme that’s designed to get our guys wide open in the secondary!!!!

I seriously question if some people actually watched the games last year instead of just looking at the final score/stats.

Richts scheme doesn’t have all the bells and whistles (which is just window dressing to any semi-competent DC) but it was effective in the sense that the plays were there to be made. Rosier just missed, and missed a lot.

How many times did he miss JT deep? How many times was Berrios open short/intermediate and had to dive or slide to catch a ball? If Rosier puts the throw where it needs to be, it’s an easy catch and run for a big play.

With an accurate QB, Richt is going to look really good. The question is can he find and develop that guy sooner rather than later.

Kaaya's last season seemed like so long ago, but the offense really began humming after the ND loss and we all thought after the bowl game we would be working with a monster the next season....

Considering the success Richt had with pocket passers at UGA, its surprising to see him shift focus to dual threat QBs as much as he has at Miami....

Advertisement
Check out Kaaya's numbers from the second half of the Notre Dame game through the end of the season, Same with Walton, Richards and Njoku.

CMR's offense was cranking out big numbers and kept getting better after some early struggles.

You mean when we played Pitt, UVA, Duke, and an admittedly OK NC State team, but certainly nothing elite? Yeah. Wake me up when we don't have to kick a FG from the 3 yard line against Clemson to avoid being shut out, or when we score a point against FSU in a half when their offense is equally as inept, or when we don't go 2+ quarters without scoring a point against Duke, or when we don't get down at the half to a UVA team that got beat 100-0 by Navy, or we don't need a miracle bounce to score in the mid 20's against GT....and on and on and on.

Yes, late in 2017, Richt was coaching in a straitjacket. No AR, no Herndon, no Walton, and a baseball player as his QB. I get it. But I've seen more creativity from a kindergarten class drawing Thanksgiving turkeys using their outlines of their hands than I did from this offense since he's arrived. Does he need to hire an OC? Yes. Yesterday. Will he? No, so we need to live with what we have and continue to stockpile so much talent on offense that we could win with Jeff Bowden calling plays. Recruiting will keep this offense afloat, not the scheme.

We don't need a new OC we just need guys (QB) to play better. We could have the best OC (and we have a pretty solid group) in the country designing plays but the execution stalls drives. Stop looking at box scores and actually watch plays and not just the ball.

For Instance FSU losing Francois this year cost them 10 ppg. Averaged 33 ppg in '16 and 23 in '17. Did Jimbo forget how to call plays over that span of time to the tune of 10 less points? Players matter just as much as the play design.

Advertisement

But we played all crap teams...

You mean when we played Pitt, UVA, Duke, and an admittedly OK NC State team, but certainly nothing elite? Yeah. Wake me up when we don't have to kick a FG from the 3 yard line against Clemson to avoid being shut out, or when we score a point against FSU in a half when their offense is equally as inept, or when we don't go 2+ quarters without scoring a point against Duke, or when we don't get down at the half to a UVA team that got beat 100-0 by Navy, or we don't need a miracle bounce to score in the mid 20's against GT....and on and on and on.

Yes, late in 2017, Richt was coaching in a straitjacket. No AR, no Herndon, no Walton, and a baseball player as his QB. I get it. But I've seen more creativity from a kindergarten class drawing Thanksgiving turkeys using their outlines of their hands than I did from this offense since he's arrived. Does he need to hire an OC? Yes. Yesterday. Will he? No, so we need to live with what we have and continue to stockpile so much talent on offense that we could win with Jeff Bowden calling plays. Recruiting will keep this offense afloat, not the scheme.

I think in your haste to answer you started confusing your seasons.

But we played all crap teams...

No we didn't. Pitt was ranked and had beaten Clemson and Penn State that season. NC State took FSU to the final play and lost to Clemson in OT. West Virginia was ranked higher than us.

Those weren't crap teams.

Advertisement
If our o line improves this will probably be a mute point. But if Rosier gets another 1/2 to full second or more of time and still can’t hit an open receiver then Issa problem. It’s gonna look like CMR is trying to squeeze juice out of a raisin and we’re gonna have to at least give one of the new guys a look at some point. I just don’t not see rosier all of the sudden turning into a stud but stranger things have happened.

Without QB's that can get them the ball consistently, or go to the 2nd or 3rd option.....it won't matter what offensive scheme's we're running

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back