Versatility could be key for Canes secondary

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
banda.jpg

The defensive back position was viewed as a potential weakness for the 2016 Miami Hurricanes prior to fall camp, but it seems like that could end up being far from the case – and versatility could be the name of the game.

The emergence of grad transfer cornerback Adrian Colbert as a legitimate starting boundary cornerback has opened up the option of Corn Elder sliding inside to nickel corner with Sheldrick Redwine holding down the other outside corner spot.

As a two-way athlete in high school, Elder relishes the opportunity to be around the ball more than normal as a nickel back.

“You kinda get to see a lot of different looks at nickel. You’re usually covering slots or running backs, but I think you get more action there.”

Not only are the corners giving Miami defensive coaches more options, but safeties coach Ephraim Banda said that JaQuan Johnson and Rayshawn Jenkins have both been working at the nickel spot, as well as Jamal Carter at nickel and dime.

“What’s great is they’ve all logged games. They’ve all ran across the white lines with people screaming and yelling and that’s important when you’re playing nickel and dime,” Banda said.

“If I’m not mistaken, the last staff had J-Rock (Jamal Carter) play it a little bit. JaQuan has played a little dime before too.”

Miami’s first-year safeties coach explained that although Rayshawn Jenkins and Jamal Carter might be the starting safeties on paper, the sophomore Johnson should be considered a first unit player.

“Like I’ve said before, JaQuan is a starter,” Banda said. “If that game calls for nickel, it may be Jenks or JaQuan. We’re going to work them. Corn (Elder) is working that spot too. We are going to put our best players on the field.”

Malek Young has emerged over the last week or so. Young is receiving more reps with Ryan Mayes still hampering a left shoulder injury.

**Two young players have made progress recently, according to Banda – Freshman Cedrick Wright and redshirt freshman Robert Knowles.

“Ced is doing a good job. What I like about Ced and a lot of the guys you see – the young players down here love football. In recruiting, that’s what I saw in Ced and that’s what I see throughout this tri-county area,” Banda said.

“Those are the type of kids that we love. We love kids with urgency who are tough. I’ll fix the M.A.s (missed assignments), I’ll fix the technique.”

Knowles redshirted last season and seems to be in the mix for playing time at safety.

“I’m really proud of Rob. He’s a young man that’s got to work really hard at everything and I respect hard work – everyone respects hard work,” said Banda. “Rob is the epitome of that.”

“He’s still a freshman on the field, but he will go to work and you love that,” he added.

Advertisement
This is why I like Banda and Diaz He praised knowles without calling him a baller because he knows he will never start here..yet ibspiring him to hopefully be a great special teamer. Coach that doesnt tell fairy tales I likes

View attachment 37644

The defensive back position was viewed as a potential weakness for the 2016 Miami Hurricanes prior to fall camp, but it seems like that could end up being far from the case – and versatility could be the name of the game.

The emergence of grad transfer cornerback Adrian Colbert as a legitimate starting boundary cornerback has opened up the option of Corn Elder sliding inside to nickel corner with Sheldrick Redwine holding down the other outside corner spot.

As a two-way athlete in high school, Elder relishes the opportunity to be around the ball more than normal as a nickel back.

“You kinda get to see a lot of different looks at nickel. You’re usually covering slots or running backs, but I think you get more action there.”

Not only are the corners giving Miami defensive coaches more options, but safeties coach Ephraim Banda said that JaQuan Johnson and Rayshawn Jenkins have both been working at the nickel spot, as well as Jamal Carter at nickel and dime.

“What’s great is they’ve all logged games. They’ve all ran across the white lines with people screaming and yelling and that’s important when you’re playing nickel and dime,” Banda said.

“If I’m not mistaken, the last staff had J-Rock (Jamal Carter) play it a little bit. JaQuan has played a little dime before too.”

Miami’s first-year safeties coach explained that although Rayshawn Jenkins and Jamal Carter might be the starting safeties on paper, the sophomore Johnson should be considered a first unit player.

“Like I’ve said before, JaQuan is a starter,” Banda said. “If that game calls for nickel, it may be Jenks or JaQuan. We’re going to work them. Corn (Elder) is working that spot too. We are going to put our best players on the field.”

Malek Young has emerged over the last week or so. Young is receiving more reps with Ryan Mayes still hampering a left shoulder injury.

**Two young players have made progress recently, according to Banda – Freshman Cedrick Wright and redshirt freshman Robert Knowles.

“Ced is doing a good job. What I like about Ced and a lot of the guys you see – the young players down here love football. In recruiting, that’s what I saw in Ced and that’s what I see throughout this tri-county area,” Banda said.

“Those are the type of kids that we love. We love kids with urgency who are tough. I’ll fix the M.A.s (missed assignments), I’ll fix the technique.”

Knowles redshirted last season and seems to be in the mix for playing time at safety.

“I’m really proud of Rob. He’s a young man that’s got to work really hard at everything and I respect hard work – everyone respects hard work,” said Banda. “Rob is the epitome of that.”

“He’s still a freshman on the field, but he will go to work and you love that,” he added.

I know it's early but if you had to guess now who would be the other starting safety next year between Knowles, Wright, James and Finley?

View attachment 37644

I know it's early but if you had to guess now who would be the other starting safety next year between Knowles, Wright, James and Finley?

I'll take Amari Carter

Advertisement
Love banda. Monster recruiter and he seems to be a very progressive and open minded coach. The only thing that worries me is his fascination with Jenkins at nickel. Don't think that's a good spot for him.

View attachment 37644

I'll take Amari Carter

Savage response.

View attachment 37644

I'll take Amari Carter

Is he at least an early enrollee?

Advertisement
Love banda. Monster recruiter and he seems to be a very progressive and open minded coach. The only thing that worries me is his fascination with Jenkins at nickel. Don't think that's a good spot for him.

Really good topic, [MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION].
[MENTION=32]AUcane[/MENTION], don't think you'll see Carter used there other than blitz packages. Jaquan is the guy to look for in terms of versatility. Also, from what I've heard and the little I've seen, extremely impressed with Malek Young. Like, very impressed. Think Duane Starks. Loose hips, acceleration, above average with the ball in the air. Look forward to perhaps seeing him in extended action those first few games.

The way the game is going with more and more teams running some version of the spread, versatile safeties are becoming more and more valuable. You rarely run base personnel anymore but if you try to play dime all the time, you'll get run all over. It hasn't been discussed much but I think the idea of having two separate coaches for corners and safeties is real forward thinking.

Really good topic, [MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION].
[MENTION=32]AUcane[/MENTION], don't think you'll see Carter used there other than blitz packages. Jaquan is the guy to look for in terms of versatility. Also, from what I've heard and the little I've seen, extremely impressed with Malek Young. Like, very impressed. Think Duane Starks. Loose hips, acceleration, above average with the ball in the air. Look forward to perhaps seeing him in extended action those first few games.

Yeah, I was referring to Jenkins, not carter. Thankfully, Banda did not mention carter and nickel in the same sentence. And as for Jenkins, I know that his is simply exposing them to all possible positions and give them SOME exposure - I don't really anticipate them using Jenkins at nickel much. I sure hope malek can step up. It would be nice to identify a 2017 potential starter already.

Advertisement
Telling statement on Knowles. Confirms what most astute fans knew. But it's refreshing to hear some honesty from coaches instead of the typical fluff and poor-mouthing about depth.

On the Sirius radio camp tour, that sniveling weasel Zarzour tried to goad Richt into whining about depth. But Richt would have none of it. Said he was a lot more worried about depth in the spring than he is now and that all he needs is a couple players at each spot.

Advertisement
Banda and this staff recognizes the natural intensity and knowledge of football with SoFl talent. Good that OL commits like Dysktra got a chance to experience that football in Florida is a lot faster and intense than what you'd ever get in the midwest.

Lol funny u "fb experts" on this site was talkn shxt when i was the 1st one to say that Colbert and Redwine on the outside with Elder at nickel would be the best possible line up on the field / lol do urselves a favor and just realize i know more than u about this shxt and deal with it. Lmao

Kool and the Gang up front will make all their jobs easier.

Amen. Teams do not even have film of Miami being Miami on defense unless they watch 30 for 30. ACC QBs have spent the last 4 years thinking they have a red practice jersey playing pitch and catch with receivers running open.

Kool and the Gang up front will make all their jobs easier.

Amen. Teams do not even have film of Miami being Miami on defense unless they watch 30 for 30. ACC QBs have spent the last 4 years thinking they have a red practice jersey playing pitch and catch with receivers running open.
We are going to miss those Saturday's watching 2 gap patty cake and 7 yards off the ball. (SARCASM ON)

Advertisement
Back