Versatile 2018 defender Abdullah one of SoFla's best

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
IMG_0426.JPG

2018 ATH Yasir Abdullah was a major part of Carol City's stout defense during their state championship run last season.

It was his first season as a Chief because he played his first two high school seasons at Cypress Lake High in Fort Myers, where his father was coaching. Abdullah was born and raised in Miramar and went to Miramar HS during the Spring 2016 semester.

What makes Abdullah's game so special is his versatility. If you watch his HUDL highlights from this past season, he played a ton with his hand in the ground -- and was very successful at that. He explained that this was because he transitioned to a pass-rush role when DeAndre Wilder's eligibility expired due to his age. Abdullah said he racked up "12 or 13" sacks this season, and that is evident in his tape.

[HUDL]video/3/4799974/584e9fc95b3cb0215c9719d7[/HUDL]

Abdullah said that earlier in the season he was playing more of a true outside linebacker role for Damon Cogdell's defense. Going back to his days at Cypress Lake, he was the team's starting free safety, and played both receiver and running back offensively. Abdullah made it clear that he feels comfortable in coverage even though that was not what he was asked to do this past season.

"I just had to do it for the team," Abdullah said.

Abdullah separates himself as an explosive athlete on the track. He competes in the 100M, 200M, 4x100M relay, and is also a long jumper. He recorded a 10.75 in the 100M last February at the Louie Bing Classic. His top mark in the long jump is 21'3.

The speedy prospect says that he is currently at 6-2, 205-pounds, but that his weight fluctuates now during track season.

Abdullah is rated as a four-star prospect on 247sports. He said that Syracuse is his lone offer at the moment, but that is sure to change. Miami, Wisconsin, and Michigan State were three schools he mentioned that are interested in him as well.

"I just love the defense. I watched the game against Florida State," Abdullah said about the Hurricanes. "The defense is fast, aggressive, athletic -- that's my style of defense."

His high school teammate DeAndre Wilder just signed with UM last week, and he's wasting no time recruiting Abdullah, "he's trying to bring me over there too."

Abdullah said that his offseason goal is to maintain his speed and then really hit the weights hard following track season.

Advertisement
Must get IMO. He has the athleticism and versatility to play the OLB / rush End in manny's scheme. He reminds me of Telvin Smith from FSU.

"I just love the defense. I watched the game against Florida State," Abdullah said about the Hurricanes. "The defense is fast, aggressive, athletic -- that's my style of defense."

Will always smile reading comments like these again after what the previous staff did to this program.

Hope we land this savage.

Advertisement
I watched CC a few times this year and Abdullah might have been the best player on the field. Probably plays linebacker at the next level but I'm all in.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
[MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION] is there ever a point in time when you have the ability to present recruits to anyone on the staff. Or have they ever asked you about your opinion?

Advertisement
Back