Vero Beach DE Harvey visits UM for Junior Day, updates recruitment

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
When 2019 3-star DE Jahfari Harvey landed a Miami offer three months ago back in January, he was excited to learn more about the program. So, it was no surprise Harvey was on hand for Miami’s Junior Day two weeks back to check out the campus and see if Miami could be the right place for him.

“The Junior Day made me consider Miami more because not only did they go after it in practice, but I saw the beautiful campus and the great academics as well,” Harvey said. “And they are surrounded by great coaches.”

Those coaches? That’d be Manny Diaz and Jess Simpson, who are in frequent contact with the Vero Beach lineman. Harvey admires what the two bring to the table both personally and professionally.

“I’m hearing from the DC, Manny Diaz, and D-Line coach Jess Simpson the most,” Harvey said. “My relationship with them is good. They talk about how they have a good history of defensive linemen and how their program is on the rise and getting the juice back.”

So, just what is it that is drawing Harvey to Miami?

“Miami is close to home and I like how they carry out their practice with energy and competition,” Harvey said. “Miami’s performance last year showed that they were bringing the juice back and I expect them to keep it rolling through next year.”

Harvey enjoyed his UM visit so much that a return trip is already in the works. While he plans to check out some other Power 5 schools so he has something to compare Miami to, Harvey says the Canes are already near the top of his list.

“I plan on coming back to Miami on another visit,” said Harvey. “I’m also planning visits to Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, and Syracuse. I don’t have a leader right now, but Miami is definitely up there.”

The recruiting process is still in it’s infancy for Harvey and there’s a long way to go for him at this stage to land on a final decision. However, the one program that wins him over will present a good fit for him schematically on the stop-unit, as well as a comfortable environment and a solid education.

“There’s no set time that I want to commit, but what I’m looking for in a school is being comfortable in the scheme they run defensively, relationship with the coaches, and academics,” said Harvey.

Harvey spent last season at John Carroll Catholic before transferring to Vero Beach in the off-season. It was that junior season tape that caught the attention of college coaches and begun landing the 6'3", 220 pounder offers.

“I actually transferred from John Carroll to Vero Beach High School in early January,” Harvey said. “My junior season at John Carroll went pretty good individually, but as a team we weren’t where we wanted to be.”

What’s Harvey most looking forward to in his final year of high school at Vero Beach?

“In the season coming up at Vero Beach, I’m looking forward to competing for a state championship and leaving everything on the field.”

Advertisement
Does anyone know much about this guy? Is he an up & coming 3* or does he have the potential to be a 4* type guy?

Guy looks like an absolute freak on tape. Would take him all day, just don’t know about at the expense of losing other targets.

Advertisement
Has not run track this year since transfer. Kid at John Carroll as a 9th grader in track 24.67--200m, 100m--12.03 not bad for a freshman D-Lineman. His explosiveness is something else as he recorded an official triple jump of 42-5 at the St. Lucie Championships as a freshman 2016. As a comparison this year Alphonso Blades has done 41-7 and Jaden Davis the DB as a freshman 40-2.

Last edited:
Tape shows some pretty impressive pursuit. Played a lot of 3-4 OLB in the tape. Could maybe even be a big MLB because looks good enough to play zone as well.

Advertisement
He look good. But I'm not convinced he's a DE. Even when he lined up with a hand on the ground, he wasn't really acting as a rush end, but as an edge defender. Does a great job there, and I like his instincts (knows where the balls is), body control and change of direction. But I can't tell from these highlights if he has the burst you want as a rush end.

Reminds me of a Trent Harris type tweener. I loved Harris, so don't get me wrong. Harvey's a take. But where to put him is an open question. Could he work out better as an OLB when we go 3-4, like we're doing with McCloud now. Or even as an MLB?

He reminds me of Tyriq Mccord. He's 6'3 215. I think he is a scheme fit in a 3-4 more than a rush end imo. I like his film though and Vero Beach is good to us and will get him right

Golden and Dorito wasted McCord; roadkill under that crap regime. Loved that kid's motor and believe he would have made it to the league with better coaches. ... I think Diaz will know what to do with Harvey, just not sure he's an every down kid for us unless they find a way to put him at MLB. He shows better lateral movement than McCord did, and already has experience in box management. I'd personally try him there. Love to see how he compares to Pierre at Paradise as an MLB.

Advertisement
Golden and Dorito wasted McCord; roadkill under that crap regime. Loved that kid's motor and believe he would have made it to the league with better coaches. ... I think Diaz will know what to do with Harvey, just not sure he's an every down kid for us unless they find a way to put him at MLB. He shows better lateral movement than McCord did, and already has experience in box management. I'd personally try him there. Love to see how he compares to Pierre at Paradise as an MLB.

i would actually make him camp as a LB too as well

We offered him as a DE or LB? Saw him play in space and dropping back more than Joyner. He is an above average prospect. Would not be a bad pick up if he was our 4th DE or 5th LB hybrid but huff fills that role pretty well.

Advertisement
It's a big step up in competition from John Carroll to Vero Beach. I'll keep ya'll updated on how he looks live.

Advertisement
Back