Vegas odds for 9/7 against the Turds

Game has settled at -3. It will likely sit in that neighborhood all week unless one of the major betting groups gets involved. There are still a couple of them out there and they can have considerable influence, particularly early in the season when the oddsmakers are concerned about soft numbers.

When I was full time in Las Vegas and involved in the betting scene I always knew who was responsible for the moves, whether it was Billy Walters' Computer Boys or Artie Bodendorfer's group or the Poker Boys, etc. Sometimes I'd get advanced warning on who they who going to play, from one of their runners. These days I'm not as well informed. But if you see college betting numbers jumping all over the place, moving a point or more, particularly on a Thursday, it's due to one of the major groups. Their basis might be a computer program or any number of factors. There's no reason to be alarmed or to try to make sense of it. They bet dozens of games and hope to grind a profit.

BTW, currently the money line is relatively low at Florida -145, Miami +125. That's not good value for taking the underdog. A 3 point spread in college football normally offers the underdog +130 or +135 on the money line. I see lots of infrequent bettors try to make a point by refusing the points and taking the money line. That's fine as long as there is corresponding value. In this case you're robbing yourself if you take +125 when +3 points are available, and possibly +3.5 later in the week. The idea is to make the correct choice as often as possible.

My book's line has been strong at 3/-120. I took the game last month when it was 4/-110, so I am obviously in good shape. I think there is a good chance we see a line change. As you know, those computer sims put a bunch of weight in the weather variable. Will be interesting to see if the line moves on late Friday when the weather is exponentially more predictable than now. Objectively, I think this sets up as a good home dog play at 3.

Did a two team parlay with my Canes and Fins. Canes -3 and Fins pick em. Putting my money where my heart, mind, soul and mouth is!

I'm sure it's a misprint, but you didn't give 3 points did you?

lol yes meant to type +3, ah but what the heck, I'd a take Miami -3 anyways, I'm calling it Miami 20-16. But one thing I won't touch is the under, hate betting the under, even though that 49 is nice to take.

As what was stated before, encouraging is that it's only +125 for Miami, underdog with such little payout is a positive for us

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back