Vaughn addresses remaining spots in 2021 class, says CB a major focus

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The Miami Hurricanes signed 21 prospects yesterday during the first wave of the early signing period. Head coach Manny Diaz has previously stated that Miami has 24 spots this cycle, something Director of Player Personnel Andy Vaughn reiterated on Thursday.

“That’s the number (24) we’re working off right now,” Vaughn said. “We have some positions in mind. We would like to look into the cornerback market, missed a little bit. We got a good one in Malik Curtis, want more depth at that position. We’ll look for guys that make our roster better. If there’s a better player out there in the transfer market or hasn’t signed in this early period, we’ll look to make the roster the best we can be. Corner, we want more depth, we’re always looking to make the roster better.”

What traits are Vaughn and the rest of the staff looking for in a cornerback recruit?

“We have some guidelines, a range for height, speed,” he said. “We’re looking for guys that have that mentality, a dog mentality, a guy that’s not afraid, has a short-term memory. That’s a hard position to play. A guy that’s mentally tough, physical, a guy that can run and has some twitch to him.”

Vaughn was also asked what position group among the signees he was most excited about.

“There isn’t just one in particular, moreso we have a little bit of everything,” Vaughn said. “The wide receiver group is going to be exciting, defensive line we added a lot of size which is exciting, some athleticism with Thomas Davis. James Williams coming in the mix in the secondary, is really going to be a great player, and Kam Kinchens in the back end, a really physical, smart player. A little bit of everything, a lot of variety in this class, it’s pretty balanced. We filled a lot of needs.”

With the COVID-caused dead period, Miami is not allowed to host official visits or camp events, and recruits cannot interact with coaches or staff on unofficial visits either, something Vaughn sees as continuing to be an issue both in terms of building relationships and evaluating players.

“The dead period may drag on through the summer,” Vaughn said. “We’re trying to pore through as much film as we can from this season. There’ll be a lot of these camps whether it’s Nike, Under Armour, Rivals that will still happen in certain places around the country. We’ll have to pore into some of those camps and see what we can get, measurements, film we can pull.”

There has been some talk in recent months that the NCAA might be thinking of changing the 25 spot initial counter rule for this year, but there has still been no word officially from the NCAA on that subject.

“I think it’s something the NCAA has to address,” Vaughn said. “If they pass this one-time transfer rule, which it looks like they will do, they have to give us some relief from that, ways to adjust the roster and get back to the numbers. It’s over 200 kids in the portal the last few weeks, a lot of kids jumping in and not a lot of places to go because the 25 number is hampering schools.

“There are some easy solutions we proposed to our compliance office. If a guy were to get a medical (retirement), you get a one-for-one, for example. If a guy transfers and is eligible academically to return, that would be one we could get back. If a guy goes to the NFL early, that would be one we could get back. Some common sense solutions that make a lot of sense that would help rosters get back to where they need to be. This 2022 and 2023 class is where we’ll have to get creative if there’s no solution.”

While almost all of Miami’s signees were locked up before the season started, the Canes got one piece of big news last night when highly-touted QB Jake Garcia announced for UM.

“He was the QB we really pushed for the entire time,” Vaughn said of Garcia. “I don’t want to say every egg was in that basket, but a lot was in there. He was a guy we really wanted.”

How does Vaughn see Garcia fitting into Rhett Lashlee's offense?

"A lot is intangibles," Vaughn said. "You have to have a certain type of personality, be a leader... He's the kind of guy you want as a quarterback in your system. The guy can play. He can make all the throws, is athletic, he's not asked to do that a lot. Can make plays with his feet if he needs to. He fits really well."

Advertisement
“There are some easy solutions we proposed to our compliance office. If a guy were to get a medical (retirement), you get a one-for-one, for example. If a guy transfers and is eligible academically to return, that would be one we could get back. If a guy goes to the NFL early, that would be one we could get back. Some common sense solutions that make a lot of sense that would help rosters get back to where they need to be. This 2022 and 2023 class is where we’ll have to get creative if there’s no solution.”

I've been saying this for a looooong time.

After that UNC game i say they need to keep looking for that dog mentality. Nobody on roster now has one

He literally said that’s what they are looking for so not what sure what the point of this post is except to shït on the team. Can we try and keep the “we suck”,”we’re the worst 8-2 ranked team ever”,“let’s fire everyone”,“we should fold the program” bullshít on the main board?

I come to the recruiting board to read about recruiting. If I wanted to read about how much everyone thinks our players/coaches/etc suck, I’d waste my time visiting the main board.

He literally said that’s what they are looking for so not what sure what the point of this post is except to shït on the team. Can we try and keep the “we suck”,”we’re the worst 8-2 ranked team ever”,“let’s fire everyone”,“we should fold the program” bullshít on the main board?

I come to the recruiting board to read about recruiting. If I wanted to read about how much everyone thinks our players/coaches/etc suck, I’d waste my time visiting the main board.
Its because every year they say they want that dog mentality but this team sure lacks it all over.

Advertisement
What traits are Vaughn and the rest of the staff looking for in a cornerback recruit?

“We have some guidelines, a range for height, speed,” he said. “We’re looking for guys that have that mentality, a dog mentality, a guy that’s not afraid, has a short-term memory. That’s a hard position to play. A guy that’s mentally tough, physical, a guy that can run and has some twitch to him.”
Why do we suck at recruiting CBs, CIS asks.

Director of Player Personnel, Andy Vaughn, shares the secret.

Clueless *****.

why aren't things simple by the start of your first game you can't have more than 85 scholly players: by the way you will probably need to increase that number to 95 : with players opting out or moving to the portal during the season you might wind up with squads of 50 players by year end ( counting injuries) : Its a whole new era:

My sauces are telling me Rumph is very motivated and will hit the trail hard After NSD in February to find our CB’s. He’s currently sending friend requests on My space and has written a couple of pen pal letters as well. I’m told every unsigned CB will be targeted after February. I’m very optimistic about this news!😩

Advertisement
Why do we suck at recruiting CBs, CIS asks.

Director of Player Personnel, Andy Vaughn, shares the secret.

Clueless *****.
Every team has “ranges” - college, NFL —

How do you scout without some range or baseline??

Having height requirements for CBs is ******* stupid. Maybe like you want one guy at least at CB that can be that big physical athletic presence, but seriously get fast guys that can ******* cover. And if they're dawgs who aren't afrraid to tackle, thats best...

Advertisement
This is one stupid *** staff. Malik Curtis is a fast as **** WR not a DB. We need more speed at WR. Just because you sucked dyke at recruiting CB's you ***** this kid and put him at CB. This staff is going to take us back to the Golden era.
I was thinking more the Coker era when we had to try our punter at WR because we had such low numbers at WR. Think about how ridiculous that was -- a big-name school in South Florida being short on WRs. The only more absurd thing is a big-name school in South Florida being short on CBs.

Advertisement
Having height requirements for CBs is ******* stupid. Maybe like you want one guy at least at CB that can be that big physical athletic presence, but seriously get fast guys that can ******* cover. And if they're dawgs who aren't afrraid to tackle, thats best...
You would think this would be common sense for our staff, as some of our best corners these last few years have been undersized.

Our best cb in couch almost wasn’t a take because of his height lol

My sauces are telling me Rumph is very motivated and will hit the trail hard After NSD in February to find our CB’s. He’s currently sending friend requests on My space and has written a couple of pen pal letters as well. I’m told every unsigned CB will be targeted after February. I’m very optimistic about this news!😩
I doubt he’s sending stuff on MySpace....I’m their all the time and never see him.

is he on AOL or Prodigy?

Advertisement
Back