VATECH Game Experience

UknowWhat

Senior
On a particular 3rd down we had the ball a message came across the Jumbo screen... Get Loud ... I tell you I could not hear my phone ringing in my hand nor could I feel it vibrate...my wife looked at me and i don't know if she was just gesturing or if she was actually saying...Its loud... but it was extremely loud... I bet it was 10,000 people tailgating all over campus... it was crazy...i can only think of 4 occasions were i was in such close proximity to that many people...A Daytona 500...The
Ball Drop on New Years at Time Square...The Iron Bowl...The stagging area for incoming troops at Kuait International... It was a mad house

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Advertisement
On a particular 3rd down we had the ball a message came across the Jumbo screen... Get Loud ... I tell you I could not hear my phone ringing in my hand nor could I feel it vibrate...my wife looked at me and i don't know if she was just gesturing or if she was actually saying...Its loud... but it was extremely loud... I bet it was 10,000 people tailgating all over campus... it was crazy...i can only think of 4 occasions were i was in such close proximity to that many people...A Daytona 500...The
Ball Drop on New Years at Time Square...The Iron Bowl...The stagging area for incoming troops at Kuait International... It was a mad house

Never been, but heard the same. According to the same people, that place gets awfully quiet when you punch their team in the mouth, mount them and rain elbows to their faces. See: 2005 and 2014. I remember a friend text'd "this place and intro is insane!" in 2005. We then whipped them. And, I had a perfectly clear phone convo with him during the 4th quarter.

We'll get another chance to see that in 2018. Can't wait for Shaq and his front 7 to get that chance.

Never been, but heard the same. According to the same people, that place gets awfully quiet when you punch their team in the mouth, mount them and rain elbows to their faces. See: 2005 and 2014. I remember a friend text'd "this place and intro is insane!" in 2005. We then whipped them. And, I had a perfectly clear phone convo with him during the 4th quarter.

We'll get another chance to see that in 2018. Can't wait for Shaq and his front 7 to get that chance.
Coach Diaz said the same thing to my wife and I after the game...' We will be back '

its a badass environment. the fans are okay too. if you go to notre dame let me just warn you the fans are trash.

It's a fun family atmosphere, but it does get loud. It's not rowdy but a good environment

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
All opposing stadiums are hostile environments and loud when they got many reasons to cheer the big plays being made by their offense and defense. We were bad on both sides of the ball and they exploited us like a pay day *****. I appreciate the efforts of all the kids and would never demean their character, but we need a change of attitude and an influx of talent everywhere.

I was there. Enter Sandman was worth the price of admission. I got the chills. Unreal experience.

Advertisement
Was there in 2005 and it got quiet real fast.

Went there again in 2009 and it was loud for 3 hours straight.

Very friendly for the most part. Guys walk right up to you and say welcome to Blacksburg.

Been to a lot of away games, never understood the hype surrounding the stadium. While it's possible it was a matter of where we were sitting, game conditions, etc, it never got remotely as loud as Clemson, the Swamp, and others. 'Enter sandman' is cool, but not overly different than other entrances. The whole 'shake your keys' thing on third down is silly, rather than loud, as well.

Also, I find the crowd to be a distasteful mix of Appalachian mountain people and bratty kids from the DC area who couldn't get into better schools. Not even in a very pretty stretch of mountains, either. And the town is boring. Add it all up, Blacksburg is one of my least favorite tailgates in the ACC.

The hype around the stadium is pretty much just that, hype.

Last edited:
Agree with Seven. Blacksburg really didn't do it for me. The drive and the weather were pitch perfect the time I went & the parking in yards was agreeable as the walk to the stadium was rather short that way.

but my lasting memory of that place was the GOD AWFUL OBNOXIOUS gobble gobble over the PA system and the not as friendly as I would have thought southerners.

Advertisement
Been to Lane more than a few times and you most certainly get the chills when that place gets rocking. They get rowdy af.

One of the more intimidating venues.

Every VT fan I was around were very friendly as well.

I went to a game back around 09 or 10, it was in late September and rained the whole game and was pretty chilly. It was the game Jimmy Graham dropped a few TD passes. No one really gave me and my girlfriend (both wearing UM gear) a hard time except one guy in front of us that was annoying. Said 'Japoopy' (Jacory) about 500 times. After the 500th I leaned over and told my VT friend, loud enough that the kid could hear me, if he says it one more time I'm going to hit him... to which my VT friend said "If he says it again, I will hit him for you"... he looked back at us and left a few plays later. Everyone else was great. Some friendly trash talking but all in fun.

Would have been better if the game ended up differently.

Definitely an awesome gameday atmosphere though.

Been to a lot of away games, never understood the hype surrounding the stadium. While it's possible it was a matter of where we were sitting, game conditions, etc, it never got remotely as loud as Clemson, the Swamp, and others. 'Enter sandman' is cool, but not overly different than other entrances. The whole 'shake your keys' thing on third down is silly, rather than loud, as well.

Also, I find the crowd to be a distasteful mix of Appalachian mountain people and bratty kids from the DC area who couldn't get into better schools. Not even in a very pretty stretch of mountains, either. And the town is boring. Add it all up, Blacksburg is one of my least favorite tailgates in the ACC.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Having been fortunate enough to attend several VT-Miami games at Robbie's Pro Player Dolphin/Land Shark and Sun Life Stadium (haven't been to your new place yet), it is interesting to read you comments.

Even is defeat the HokieNation has outnumbered Hurricane fans by the end of the games.

Paying premium prices for parking, having to pass through his and her gates being frisked and scanned with metal detectors, watching a seeming ambivalent fan base depart the stadium before halftime do not make for a good impression of a college football experience.

Your sophomoric references to the crowd and Blue Ridge Mountains further reinforce the stereotype of Miami fans being boorish and mostly of the fair weather variety.

I gave two of my tickets to a friend and his son who are avid Miami fans. They were gracious in defeat, enjoyed a good natured banter with Hokie fans and were very complimentary of the entire experience. I choose to believe they represent the majority of Miami fans and you are the loud, squeaky wheel which makes a lot of noise but in reality is the exception.

Y'all come on back in '18, ya'heer!!

Advertisement

Having been fortunate enough to attend several VT-Miami games at Robbie's Pro Player Dolphin/Land Shark and Sun Life Stadium (haven't been to your new place yet), it is interesting to read you comments.

Even is defeat the HokieNation has outnumbered Hurricane fans by the end of the games.

Paying premium prices for parking, having to pass through his and her gates being frisked and scanned with metal detectors, watching a seeming ambivalent fan base depart the stadium before halftime do not make for a good impression of a college football experience.

Your sophomoric references to the crowd and Blue Ridge Mountains further reinforce the stereotype of Miami fans being boorish and mostly of the fair weather variety.

I gave two of my tickets to a friend and his son who are avid Miami fans. They were gracious in defeat, enjoyed a good natured banter with Hokie fans and were very complimentary of the entire experience. I choose to believe they represent the majority of Miami fans and you are the loud, squeaky wheel which makes a lot of noise but in reality is the exception.

So vt guy makes mocking comments about a UM player all game and the fan who finally gets mad is the boorish one? Sure. How's about this one...

IMG_1694.jpg

Thanks for stopping by with your poor attempt at back-handed compliments and snarky remarks. You've never outnumbered Miami fans in Miami, stop being ridiculous.
And based on the number of "U suck", and "Sucks to be U" shirts as well as the above mentioned banner, you're fans are as big of a-holes as everyone else's, move along.

I was there on 2005. You could hear a mouse fart by 2nd quarter. Disappointed in atmosphere but loved the outcome

I was there in 2014 and it was silent. I was about 20 rows up and some VT fan right behind me yelled down at Bud Foster to say something about stopping Duke Johnson and he heard the guy and shot him the bird. One of the funniest things I've ever seen

Advertisement
Back