UVA Breakdown

iLoveTDs

Junior
Banned
I watched their @Pitt and @Lou games.

Offense
Their system is similar to ours in many ways. Almost exclusively out of shotgun. They pass a lot more than we do.

QB draws, attack the seams, they find 1v1 and put the ball up for grabs (similar to Rosier), lots of slants and come back routes. They aren't afraid to get gimmicky at times. Heavy heavy passing attack.

QB is a bit of a gamer. Their OL isn't great so he scrambles around a lot. He has a live arm and can make throws on the move, but his WRs don't get open much. Tough kid who will be going up against the best DL he has faced all year.

RB is decent. He doesn't dance much - picks a lane and goes.

OL is weakest link. Very young and not talented. Lou had 4 sacks and Pitt had 3 sacks. Both of those teams have mediocre defenses at best.

WR is just blah. Other than 1 guy they create very little separation.

Defense
An aggressive 3-3-5 defense. They run a lot of stunts, delayed blitzes, double gap blitzes, etc.
They like to play man press, but they'll mix in zone as well.

DL - their 3 down linemen try and create chaos up front (leaving gaps open for blitzing LBs).

LB - blitz blitz blitz (Homer better be ready in Pass Pro). This group doesn't tackle very well. I see a lot of opportunities for Homer at the 2nd level.

DB - their strongest unit on the team. They are extremely physical and won't be afraid to jam and disrupt routes. This is where Jeff Thomas could really make an impact, as he is near impossible to jam up. They are very technical at CB - they don't have the speed of our DBs, but they are taught really well. If our WRs come out soft we could be in for a long night.

I expect them to shade towards Richards side all game.

Pros
Tough, physical defense. They play hard all game - Bronco teams are notorious for that.

Cons
Poor tackling, poor passing game, and pretty weak in the trenches.

Richt's gameplan
I expect us to go 5 wide a lot early on (Richt likes to simplify things for Rosier when we face heavy blitzing defenses).

Slant routes, stick routes, the skinny post will be there, and 3rd down HB screens.

The running game should feature a lot of off tackle plays, jet sweeps, counter action. They send heavy pressure up the middle - If we can get to the edge against their D we'll have a great day running the ball (WR downfield blocking against these guys will be fun to watch. They are really physical).

Keep the turnovers at 1 or less and we'll be hard to beat.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Evan Shirreffs getz a chance to play two or three series tonight?

I sure hope so. Not just for his sake, but so Rosier can sit and not risk injury. This is the game I want to see us roll early so our starters can get some decent rest.

If we're staring at a 3-3-5 6 man box and we're not running the ball relentlessly with Homer, Rosier, and Dallas, we'll be playing into what they do best. Not that they'll win, but why give up the numbers advantage. ESPECIALLY if they are poor tacklers. Make them tackle.

Advertisement
Evan Shirreffs getz a chance to play two or three series tonight?

I sure hope so. Not just for his sake, but so Rosier can sit and not risk injury. This is the game I want to see us roll early so our starters can get some decent rest.

Hopefully Evan can run First team offense some in blowouts next two weeks. Actually running first team offense w Dallas at RB. Then get full second string in fourth quarters.

would also add in Richt's gameplan some qb draws off RPOs or jet sweep action. They looked particularly vulnerable against Louisville on these type of plays. Granted it was Jackson but they knew it was coming and still could not defend it.

Advertisement
Back