Utilizing Our Weapons/Strengths

And I agree w/ you, which is why I'm wondering if we're best utilizing what we have. Like I would love to see the slip screen more w/ Homer or DeeJay. We ran it once against VT and we gashed them for a grip...like 15-17 yards. I liked that he incorporated the Wild Cat, but how about letting DeeJay throw the rock once or twice or actually handing it off once in a while to keep defenses honest. I mean, there are so many different things we can do to open up the play book w/o straying too far from Richt's plan.

the wild cat was phenomenal. shows there is hope with richt and that maybe, just maybe, what´s holding him back is the lack of a trusted and accurate QB.

Advertisement
I'd say go to up tempo spread offense like Texas tech,Baylor and Oregon used to run.with our oline need quick slants etc get the ball out of the qbs hand by 2-3 seconds.do it until the oline gets built up into that power run game. Run the mike leach offense when dline and how get worn out the pass rush won't be as good.like Patton said attack,attack,attack never dig in and be on the defensive always advance keep the foot on the pedal

Not having a true fullback and proven depth at TE really limited what we were able to do last season more than people are willing to admit. Herndon was really good, but after him the depth was MI2 and a converted DE. We didn't even have a FB on scholly.

We had a wildly inaccurate QB attempt 45 passes per game, and despite the lies some would like to peddle, most of the time teams were dropping 6 and 7 into coverage. It infuriated me last season that we weren't running the ball against these 4 man fronts. At first I thought it was because after Walton got injured, we had no proven depth behind him. Then Homer became a pleasant surprise in the monsoon against GaTech, and Dallas became a reliable #2. But we still never attempted to attack those 4 man fronts on the ground. Looking back and re-watching it's crystal clear that we just did not possess the physicality up front to open running lanes with just 5 linemen, and keeping Herndon in as an extra blocker became almost a dead give-away that a run was coming.
You need to stop watching things on that 13inch black&white tv because if you're seriously telling this board, whom i assume were very much entrenched in every play of every game like myself, that we faced teams that consistently dropped 6-7 ppl into coverage against a qb that couldn't hit a tree if he was standing in a forrest, then telling a blatant lie.

Seriously, are you of some relations to #12? You have spent hours debating and making up conspiracies to defend his mediocre play and finding faults on the team to place the blame on. You sound ridiculous and in all honesty, i would like to open up a thread on CIS and not see where you have infiltrated it with all your false theories and analysis of CANES football in recent years. Judging by your post history, good luck with that.
I am truly convinced that you have issues that go beyond this board that may need psychological assistance. A lot of members and visitors just read and not post, but your ranting is so freaking annoying, who would want to subject themselves to foolishness. I guess me since I'm replying.

And just in case you just don't know this, most defense's have 4-man fronts w/ LBs(who play the run first) and depending the scheme against a certain opponent, a safety would routinely creep up in the box.

If we had Kendall Briles running the offense with these same players we’d be unstoppable. I don’t hate Rick as a playcaller, but he’s not in the Briles realm either. Rick needs more dominance across the board to be successful against good teams. The Briles spread run scheme is unrivaled in college football and would destroy here.

Our run game has been up and down and overall mediocre since Rick got here. We can keep blaming players and blaming Rosier’s unwavering innaccuracy. But it’s year 3 now.

At some point, and I think that point is this season, Rick either needs to get it done with Rosier and stop using him as an excuse, or he needs to get another QB ready. Year 3 is fix it time.
Briles offense would not hold up well against the big boys. I understand where you're going with the creativity of formations and playcalling to fit our talent pool, but to battle with the clemsons and bamas we have to become more balance, faster and stronger across the board. Always on the attack, can play physical and/or finesse.
I whole-heartily agree with it being year 3, there is no more excuses for limited qb play If he's choosing to run #12 out there again this season. After 3 recruiting cycles, i would assume the qb whisperer would have groomed 1 and had another in waiting by now.

If we had Kendall Briles running the offense with these same players we’d be unstoppable. I don’t hate Rick as a playcaller, but he’s not in the Briles realm either. Rick needs more dominance across the board to be successful against good teams. The Briles spread run scheme is unrivaled in college football and would destroy here.

Our run game has been up and down and overall mediocre since Rick got here. We can keep blaming players and blaming Rosier’s unwavering innaccuracy. But it’s year 3 now.

At some point, and I think that point is this season, Rick either needs to get it done with Rosier and stop using him as an excuse, or he needs to get another QB ready. Year 3 is fix it time.

You’re right about everything. The only thing I’ll say to that is when has a Briles type offense ever won a championship? I’m fine with a more pro style type offense and the idea that we need better players. There’s no shortcut to real, sustainable dominance.

Advertisement
You’re right about everything. The only thing I’ll say to that is when has a Briles type offense ever won a championship? I’m fine with a more pro style type offense and the idea that we need better players. There’s no shortcut to real, sustainable dominance.

Not so much w the offense v. the defense bled the same amount of points as the offense scored. Not sure if that was b/c of the offense scoring in a blink of an eye or b/c the def was deficient. As I browsed through NFL rosters, didn’t see any impact guys from Baylor’s def on any team. So maybe it’s the latter as opposed to the former.

You need to stop watching things on that 13inch black&white tv because if you're seriously telling this board, whom i assume were very much entrenched in every play of every game like myself, that we faced teams that consistently dropped 6-7 ppl into coverage against a qb that couldn't hit a tree if he was standing in a forrest, then telling a blatant lie.

Seriously, are you of some relations to #12? You have spent hours debating and making up conspiracies to defend his mediocre play and finding faults on the team to place the blame on. You sound ridiculous and in all honesty, i would like to open up a thread on CIS and not see where you have infiltrated it with all your false theories and analysis of CANES football in recent years. Judging by your post history, good luck with that.
I am truly convinced that you have issues that go beyond this board that may need psychological assistance. A lot of members and visitors just read and not post, but your ranting is so freaking annoying, who would want to subject themselves to foolishness. I guess me since I'm replying.

And just in case you just don't know this, most defense's have 4-man fronts w/ LBs(who play the run first) and depending the scheme against a certain opponent, a safety would routinely creep up in the box.
Bull****. A few of you have been on just about every QB board running Rosier into the ground with made up nonsense and ain’t had the balls to back up a word of it. As if it weren’t bad enough that Rosier’s inaccuracy cost us a lot of plays in the passing game, you’re trying to pin our problems running the ball on him as well by spreading the lie that teams regularly stacked the box with 8 and 9 guys. Don’t come at me with this “LBs play the run first” bull****. Which game? Tell me which game you’d like me to rewatch where the defense regularly had 8 and 9 defenders in the box on run downs. You guys said Pitt and you were wrong. I rewatched that game and Pitt was in their base Cover 4/Quarters for the entire game. Not a single down was there a safety in the box.

Your problem is that you’ve let your blatant hatred for Rosier blind you to anything else that might also be wrong, and now you’ve convinced yourself that just replacing the QB will fix everything, including the run game. Well why don’t you explain to me why last year we were 79th in rushing yards per game, but with an accurate QB in 2016 we were 101st, and 118th the year before. Seems pretty obvious to me that if you take away Rosier’s QB runs we were 115th and right in line with where we have been, and Rosier only affected the run in a positive way.

Let me clue you in on a little secret, sister. Nobody loads the box to stop the 115th ranked rushing offense. Nobody has to. Entering that Pitt game everyone wants to talk about, Pitt was around 60th in rushing defense and they held us to 45 yards, 16 from the tailbacks. We were the worst rushing team they faced all season and they almost lost a game to Youngstown State.

UNC had the 112th ranked rushing defense and in 12 games allowed 10 different players to go over 100 yards. Travis Homer got 40. We were the worst rushing team they faced all season and their schedule included Old Dominion and Rice.

Now you can go on calling me a Rosier apologist all you want because I refuse to join your little pity party blaming him for everything and thinking that all we have to do to ascend to greatness is somehow convince Rosier to transfer. Or you can realize that we ranked a full 20 positions behind the 2nd worst rushing team in the AP Top 15, and understand that if we don’t figure out how to get better performance from our O-line and run the ball consistently, we’re going to be a team that loses the tough games to good defenses.

The good teams, Alabama, Clemson, UGA, Ohio State...you don’t hear them *****ing and moaning about people shutting down their running game and forcing their underwhelming QBs to win games. Because it doesn’t ******* happen to good teams.

Last edited:
Briles offense would not hold up well against the big boys. I understand where you're going with the creativity of formations and playcalling to fit our talent pool, but to battle with the clemsons and bamas we have to become more balance, faster and stronger across the board. Always on the attack, can play physical and/or finesse.
I whole-heartily agree with it being year 3, there is no more excuses for limited qb play If he's choosing to run #12 out there again this season. After 3 recruiting cycles, i would assume the qb whisperer would have groomed 1 and had another in waiting by now.
So you can’t beat Clemson’s spread offense with Briles’s spread offense? Even though the Briles spread is a run-first offense? Ok.

Briles offense is a run-first spread. The last time someone won a NC with that type of offense was two years ago with Clemson. Previous to that, Ohio Taint won one with Urb.

Advertisement
Troy moved the football on LSU with far less talent...they used motion and misdirection to offset the d....if you don't have the horses to go power why keep trying the same $#!+?? Design plays to fit your personel.....There are no excuses Miami has enough talent to score against any defense....just gotta get our athletes in space where they can be effective.....richt used wildcat and motion with Thomas before...it worked well to open it up .....most good teams use motion and shifts to offset the d...not saying use it every play just enough to keep a D on its heels... ..it would definitely help a qb like rosier who cant go through his progressions....imo

Bull****. A few of you have been on just about every QB board running Rosier into the ground with made up nonsense and ain’t had the balls to back up a word of it. As if it weren’t bad enough that Rosier’s inaccuracy cost us a lot of plays in the passing game, you’re trying to pin our problems running the ball on him as well by spreading the lie that teams regularly stacked the box with 8 and 9 guys. Don’t come at me with this “LBs play the run first” bull****. Which game? Tell me which game you’d like me to rewatch where the defense regularly had 8 and 9 defenders in the box on run downs. You guys said Pitt and you were wrong. I rewatched that game and Pitt was in their base Cover 4/Quarters for the entire game. Not a single down was there a safety in the box.

Your problem is that you’ve let your blatant hatred for Rosier blind you to anything else that might also be wrong, and now you’ve convinced yourself that just replacing the QB will fix everything, including the run game. Well why don’t you explain to me why last year we were 79th in rushing yards per game, but with an accurate QB in 2016 we were 101st, and 118th the year before. Seems pretty obvious to me that if you take away Rosier’s QB runs we were 115th and right in line with where we have been, and Rosier only affected the run in a positive way.

Let me clue you in on a little secret, sister. Nobody loads the box to stop the 115th ranked rushing offense. Nobody has to. Entering that Pitt game everyone wants to talk about Pitt was around 60th in rushing defense and they held us to 45 yards, 16 from the tailbacks. We were the worst rushing team they faced all season and they almost lost a game to Youngstown State.

UNC had the 112th ranked rushing defense and in 12 games allowed 10 different players to go over 100 yards. Travis Homer got 40. We were the worst rushing team they faced all season and their schedule included Old Dominion and Rice.

Now you can go on calling me a Rosier apologist all you want because I refuse to join your little pity party blaming him for everything and thinking that all we have to do to ascend to greatness is somehow convince Rosier to transfer. Of you can realize that we ranked a full 20 positions behind the 2nd worst rushing team in the AP Top 15, and understand that if we don’t figure out how to get better performance from our O-line and run the ball consistently, we’re going to be a team that loses the tough games to good defenses.

The good teams, Alabama, Clemson, UGA, Ohio State...you don’t hear them *****ing and moaning about people shutting down their running game and forcing their underwhelming QBs to win games. Because is doesn’t ******* happen to good teams.

Let me clue you in on a little secret, sister. Nobody loads the box to stop the 115th ranked rushing offense. Nobody has to. Entering that Pitt game everyone wants to talk about, Pitt was around 60th in rushing defense and they held us to 45 yards, 16 from the tailbacks. We were the worst rushing team they faced all season and they almost lost a game to Youngstown State.

Now you can go on calling me a Rosier apologist all you want because I refuse to join your little pity party blaming him for everything and thinking that all we have to do to ascend to greatness is somehow convince Rosier to transfer. Or you can realize that we ranked a full 20 positions behind the 2nd worst rushing team in the AP Top 15, and understand that if we don’t figure out how to get better performance from our O-line and run the ball consistently, we’re going to be a team that loses the tough games to good defenses.

The good teams, Alabama, Clemson, UGA, Ohio State...you don’t hear them *****ing and moaning about people shutting down their running game and forcing their underwhelming QBs to win games. Because it doesn’t ******* happen to good teams.
You're worst than Lavar Ball...at least his son had some talent. Your son can't, well not good enough to manage an offense and make the plays when they present themselves. Since you're this stats guy, tell the board what #12 stats were on 3rd downs(only). Your job as a qb is to keep the chains moving. I don't care if he was 30% on 1st/2nd downs, we needed his *** to be <65% on 3rd downs and give the receivers a chance to make something after the catch. This time next year, you can watch the 2019 draft with your boy and console his *** for believing all your false hype.

You're worst than Lavar Ball...at least his son had some talent. Your son can't, well not good enough to manage an offense and make the plays when they present themselves. Since you're this stats guy, tell the board what #12 stats were on 3rd downs(only). Your job as a qb is to keep the chains moving. I don't care if he was 30% on 1st/2nd downs, we needed his *** to be <65% on 3rd downs and give the receivers a chance to make something after the catch. This time next year, you can watch the 2019 draft with your boy and console his *** for believing all your false hype.
Hey ****head, why don’t you put on your glasses and reread what I wrote, since you’re quoting me, and highlight where I said something positive about Rosier? The reason you keep looking like a moron here is because you’re arguing against something that nobody is arguing for. I don’t recall me or anybody else making the claim that Rosier is accurate or even a particularly good QB.

But when you can’t run the ball, those 1st and 10s have a tendency to become 3rd and 7s quite a good bit. Now your wildly inaccurate QB is constantly in a situation he’s not very good at. Quite frankly, no team is. Those teams who had good 3rd down percentages also found themselves in more 3rd and <3 where as Miami led the ACC in instances of 3rd and >6. It’s not just the QBs job to move the chains and moving the chains isn’t just something you accomplish on 3rd down. If you want to incessantly rag on our QB, that’s your prerogative, but you maybe should be a little consistent with your estrogen fueled outbursts and quit giving the rest of the team a pass.

Most teams that know their QB isn’t very good, you know, Alabama, Clemson, UGA, and Ohio State...they managed to do things that kept their QB in comfortable 3rd and 2s instead of 3rd and 8s allowing their weaknesses to be exposed. That thing is called being able to run the football. You know, that thing that along with playing good defense has decided just about every football championship at every level of competition ever?

Hey ****head, why don’t you put on your glasses and reread what I wrote, since you’re quoting me, and highlight where I said something positive about Rosier? The reason you keep looking like a moron here is because you’re arguing against something that nobody is arguing for. I don’t recall me or anybody else making the claim that Rosier is accurate or even a particularly good QB.

But when you can’t run the ball, those 1st and 10s have a tendency to become 3rd and 7s quite a good bit. Now your wildly inaccurate QB is constantly in a situation he’s not very good at. Quite frankly, no team is. Those teams who had good 3rd down percentages also found themselves in more 3rd and <3 where as Miami led the ACC in instances of 3rd and >6. It’s not just the QBs job to move the chains and moving the chains isn’t just something you accomplish on 3rd down. If you want to incessantly rag on our QB, that’s your prerogative, but you maybe should be a little consistent with your estrogen fueled outbursts and quit giving the rest of the team a pass.

Most teams that know their QB isn’t very good, you know, Alabama, Clemson, UGA, and Ohio State...they managed to do things that kept their QB in comfortable 3rd and 2s instead of 3rd and 8s allowing their weaknesses to be exposed. That thing is called being able to run the football. You know, that thing that along with playing good defense has decided just about every football championship at every level of competition ever?
First of all your mother is a ***khead, social media got you thinking you say stupid **** to anybody. Don't get yourself **** up. And that's all you do is say positive things and defend #12. Foh and reread your own ****.

Advertisement
So you can’t beat Clemson’s spread offense with Briles’s spread offense? Even though the Briles spread is a run-first offense? Ok.

I agree/disagree about your points with briles. The thing is, that **** works 100% of the time in the Big 12. Im not saying it couldn't be effective here, but with no QB or o-line it doesn't matter what you're running when you're matching up with ACC/SEC defenses.

What most people fail to understand. See BAMA. Thats our standard, not a gimmicky offense. Line up and dominate.

Every play is drawn up to score and its a matter of execution. I really do like the power spread, but people are mistaking our offensive blunders to be a scheme problem when the problem is a matter of execution. Whether that is Richt not preparing them right or the QB and o-line sucking I don't know...but too much time is spent here worrying about offensive schemes and motions.

On offense, I think it's simple CMR has to find plays that work for our playmakers!! With this team in 2018, CMR will have a lot of playmakers and getting them the ball is key.. (Last year, In some close games it was too much just lob the ball in the air and hope our guy make a play) It's all about play calling, CMR has to let his QB create more with his feet, I thought in the big games FSU, VT, ND Rosier was a threat at times with his feet and it opened up the offense for him.. I think in a RPO offense, the QB has to run the ball just to loosen up the defense and at times when Miami did that it really helped the offense, BUT in games where Rosier was trying to be a pocket QB it hurt the offense..
I know everyone have their own thoughts, BUT I really think this offense needs the better mobile QB, when a defense has to worry about a mobile QB it opens things up.. Miami have a bunch of weapons on offense, and we need a QB that can get them the ball..
I like the screen game, BUT I hate seeing the wrong players get the ball in the screen game!!

On defense, Diaz has our guys playing lights out, BUT I think from time to time, the blitzing hurts.. Moving forward with this type of aggressive defense, Diaz and crew just has to continue to recruit the right player's to play in that system!!

Advertisement
This is pretty much where I'm at.

Same here.. CMR has all the right intensions, BUT after this year IF this offense hasn't reach heights CMR will need to hire someone here to get it there!! Too much talent coming on that side of the ball, not to be putting up video game type numbers..

All the bithchin about richts play calling is overblown. 95% of our woes are based on the pathetic qb play. If we had even a Brock Berlin caliber qb behind center utilizing the skill talent on this roster I'd have a boner every Saturday. The OL play is slightly less demoralizing. If we can improve those two areas even the slightest we could see an offensive production good enough to consistently put us in the 4 man race each yr. I think the solutions to both currently reside on this roster. Time will tell. Then again I may be clueless and a wishful thinker.

On offense, I think it's simple CMR has to find plays that work for our playmakers!! With this team in 2018, CMR will have a lot of playmakers and getting them the ball is key.. (Last year, In some close games it was too much just lob the ball in the air and hope our guy make a play) It's all about play calling, CMR has to let his QB create more with his feet, I thought in the big games FSU, VT, ND Rosier was a threat at times with his feet and it opened up the offense for him.. I think in a RPO offense, the QB has to run the ball just to loosen up the defense and at times when Miami did that it really helped the offense, BUT in games where Rosier was trying to be a pocket QB it hurt the offense..
I know everyone have their own thoughts, BUT I really think this offense needs the better mobile QB, when a defense has to worry about a mobile QB it opens things up.. Miami have a bunch of weapons on offense, and we need a QB that can get them the ball..
I like the screen game, BUT I hate seeing the wrong players get the ball in the screen game!!

On defense, Diaz has our guys playing lights out, BUT I think from time to time, the blitzing hurts.. Moving forward with this type of aggressive defense, Diaz and crew just has to continue to recruit the right player's to play in that system!!

Spot on. Diaz is blitz happy and sometimes its great and sometimes I wonder why he doesn't just trust those DE's to turn the corner and eat.

On Richt, forgot about those screens. Probably the only thing that really ****ed me off about his offense was throwing screens to harris and langham.

Spot on. Diaz is blitz happy and sometimes its great and sometimes I wonder why he doesn't just trust those DE's to turn the corner and eat.

On Richt, forgot about those screens. Probably the only thing that really ****ed me off about his offense was throwing screens to harris and langham.

When I said what I said about the screen game, these are the player's I was referring too.. Miami has much better playmaker's to run screens with!! This Miami team is really coming into it's own, some ppl on here just expect too much too fast.. CMR and Diaz has done an awesome job in their first 2 years here, I just think it's all about getting better from one year to the next and by doing that, coach's have to tweek the system year after year.. Long as CMR and Diaz can do that, this program will get where everyone here expects it to be!!

Advertisement
Back