Utilizing Our Weapons/Strengths

First of all your mother is a ***khead, social media got you thinking you say stupid **** to anybody. Don't get yourself **** up. And that's all you do is say positive things and defend #12. Foh and reread your own ****.
You’re getting pretty personal. You got a problem with my social media? You getting itchy? You think this argument you can’t win online is gonna work out differently for you in person? Pm me. I’ll send you an address.

Advertisement
Spot on. Diaz is blitz happy and sometimes its great and sometimes I wonder why he doesn't just trust those DE's to turn the corner and eat.

On Richt, forgot about those screens. Probably the only thing that really ****ed me off about his offense was throwing screens to harris and langham.

The screens and the end zone fades to the wrong personnel.

Not having a true fullback and proven depth at TE really limited what we were able to do last season more than people are willing to admit. Herndon was really good, but after him the depth was MI2 and a converted DE. We didn't even have a FB on scholly.

We had a wildly inaccurate QB attempt 45 passes per game, and despite the lies some would like to peddle, most of the time teams were dropping 6 and 7 into coverage. It infuriated me last season that we weren't running the ball against these 4 man fronts. At first I thought it was because after Walton got injured, we had no proven depth behind him. Then Homer became a pleasant surprise in the monsoon against GaTech, and Dallas became a reliable #2. But we still never attempted to attack those 4 man fronts on the ground. Looking back and re-watching it's crystal clear that we just did not possess the physicality up front to open running lanes with just 5 linemen, and keeping Herndon in as an extra blocker became almost a dead give-away that a run was coming.

1. Not having a FB or TE shouldn't limit anything. The best offenses in college football barely utilize a FB/TE. Even when we had a legit TE (Njoku) we seldom used him in a traditional role. He was split-out and lined up as the #2 receiver.

2. How many defenders are lined-up on the front is irrelevant, it's about how many defenders are IN THE BOX. Watch the Pitt game for example. They had a 4-man front but they always kept 8 or 9 in the box. (it's a Narduzzi staple) This forces us to throw the ball, and if our QB can't hit his throws then we're SOL.

1. Not having a FB or TE shouldn't limit anything. The best offenses in college football barely utilize a FB/TE. Even when we had a legit TE (Njoku) we seldom used him in a traditional role. He was split-out and lined up as the #2 receiver.

2. How many defenders are lined-up on the front is irrelevant, it's about how many defenders are IN THE BOX. Watch the Pitt game for example. They had a 4-man front but they always kept 8 or 9 in the box. (it's a Narduzzi staple) This forces us to throw the ball, and if our QB can't hit his throws then we're SOL.
What are these best offenses you speak of, that aren't using fb/te? Because the Oklahoma, Clemson, bama , Georgia, Ohio state (all the teams winning big) offenses all use a ton of fb and/or te!

1-10 scale.

How good is Rozier?

Advertisement
What are these best offenses you speak of, that aren't using fb/te? Because the Oklahoma, Clemson, bama , Georgia, Ohio state (all the teams winning big) offenses all use a ton of fb and/or te!

No they don't. Not in the traditional form. OU, Clemson, OSU and even Bama and Georgia are lining up in more spread these days. (10 & 11 personnel)
They use TE's and FB's occasionally but they're not lining up in 21 personnel. (like people on here are likely referring to)
They certainly don't use a "ton" of FB/TE anymore.

To say that not having a TE/FB limited our offense is inaccurate IMO.
Having a legit TE/FB can add more wrinkles but it's not a necessity for success when running a spread offense. Certainly not something that should/would hold a good OC back.

Last edited:
I think we can argue semantics here a bit - Macho is right that very few teams are lining up in 21 (I-form with a FB and in-line TE and 2 WR) consistently. But the so-called "power/smashmouth spread" offenses run by guys like Chad Morris, Meyer (at OSU), and Malzahn use an H-back (kind of a hybrid TE/FB) as an option in the passing and running games. Chris Herndon to me was the perfect H-back - kid could block and had good enough hands to keep a defense honest. That's also why I'm concerned about bringing the new young TEs along early on - those blocking assignments especially will take time. Until then, I'd bet we see a lot of 3-4 WR sets with Jordan/Mallory split out a la Njoku where we try to get them lined up on a LB and exploit the middle of the field.

My biggest concern with going back to 21 personnel is telegraphing our playcalls based on the bodies on the field. I don't want to get to that point where every time Realus takes the field it's a run up the middle. Yes we should be able to "impose our will" on a DL blah blah blah but it's much easier if we can just get the ball to someplace where the defender isn't... To me, that means multiple plays out of very few formations. I'm looking at Bama under Daboll (with Hurts at QB) as a model of what could work really well here. 11 and 12 personnel (3 WRs with 1 RB and one or two TEs) from primarily shotgun or pistol. Win 1st down consistently, stay out of 3rd and long and if you're there, don't "turn a mistake into a catastrophe", to quote Richt. Go 5-wide occasionally and run the QB draw or screens. If it's Rosier, keep playing to his strengths and keep it simple. If it's Williams/Perry, really the same thing. Let them get the ball out quickly until they can prove they can read a defense - especially the young guys. Keep Homer/Dallas/RB #3 in the game to establish the run and as check-down options so the internal QB clock can just go "Read #1 - Check Down - Take Off."

Advertisement
No they don't. Not in the traditional form. OU, Clemson, OSU and even Bama and Georgia are lining up in more spread these days. (10 & 11 personnel)
They use TE's and FB's occasionally but they're not lining up in 21 personnel. (like people on here are likely referring to)
They certainly don't use a "ton" of FB/TE anymore.

To say that not having a TE/FB limited our offense is inaccurate IMO.
Having a legit TE/FB can add more wrinkles but it's not a necessity for success when running a spread offense. Certainly not something that should/would hold a good OC back.
Who said anything about 21 personnel? All those teams I listed use either a flexed out TE and/or a HBack/FB in the backfield, to help create blocking advantages on the perimeter or the inside.

1-10 scale.

How good is Rozier?
Honestly about a 4. Which is plenty good enough to hand the ball off and complete enough passes to win games. It is not, however, good enough to consistently win games by throwing it 45 times behind an offensive line that can only generate 20 yards In the run game.

Put it this way. I’d rather have Malik Rosier with Alabama’s o-line than Jalen Hurts and our O-line. You put that sophomore who’s started the last two national championship games behind our line last season and we maybe win 7 games.

Who said anything about 21 personnel? All those teams I listed use either a flexed out TE and/or a HBack/FB in the backfield, to help create blocking advantages on the perimeter or the inside.

Ok. My bad.
But I don't think that's what most people/fans think of in regards to using TE's/FB's.

Briles offense is a run-first spread. The last time someone won a NC with that type of offense was two years ago with Clemson. Previous to that, Ohio Taint won one with Urb.

Fair enough ‘Chise. You have to admit, Watson was a once in a blue moon type player, though. As for Taint, well, Urban did it at UF also, which basically just further proves your point. It remains the exception rather than the rule.

Advertisement

I'm not going to battle X's and O's with a coach, but I will point out a few things.

1. "Not having a FB or TE shouldn't limit anything. The best offenses in college football barely utilize a FB/TE." All of you guys thinking we're about to switch over from a Pro-Style to a Spread Read Option while ignoring that we're about to have 4 TEs and 2 FBs on scholly are going to be very disappointed. Nobody is implying that we're going to break huddle in 21 all day long, but when the front four of Pitt is able to pressure the QB and contain the run, an extra blocker or two might not be a bad idea.

2. Speaking of Pitt. Apparently my idea of 9 guys in the box differs from yours. Here's a 3rd and 1 and the closest safety to the LOS is 7 yards off playing the slot man for the RPO bubble. We ran the ball with Homer behind Herndon. Herndon got stood up and Homer only got a yard after being wrapped up by the DT.

3rd and 1.png

Here's a 2nd and 10 on that same drive. DE stunts and blows right past Trevor Darling untouched and levels Rosier.

2nd and 10.png

I don't know much, but I know Pitt whipped our trench guys all day long with mostly their front four. The safeties were not "in the box" to take the run away. Pitt didn't deviate from their base defense even a little bit. They did nothing special. Yes, on an obvious run down the safety is 7 yards deep rather than the usual 9, but on 3rd and 1 this is hardly selling out to stop the run as has been implied over and over.

EDIT: Lest anyone think I poured over film trying to hand pick examples, here's the link to the condensed game I used. I just picked two random plays from a series in the 1st quarter.

I’m interested to know how Choc will be used. Coker may have been a cuck as a head coach, but he was a brilliant mind offensively. How we used our FB was treacherous for opposing teams. FB counters, FB screens, FB slip screen....if Choc is the athlete he was hyped to be, if used properly, this will add another dimension to our O

Advertisement
Back