Upon Further Review- Virginia Tech

plus one other important fact you can tell just by looking at them:

in a knife fight with any other K/P teammate combo in college football, our guys win hands down.

🔪☠️

Just don’t ask them to get a few yards in a fake field goal try.

Advertisement
Agree with your breakdown of Roche for the most part, but he wasn’t facing a mid level prospect vs VT. That LT is projected 1st round pick.
Interesting that you brought that up I was gonna ask fans how they felt about roche performance versus that that who is alleged to be a top ten tackle in the up coming draft.

Remember 2017? WE had late comebacks during that season as well. We kept winning close games until we blew out ND and VT, then loss to Pitt and Clemson, and Wis....
So are you saying we lose to GT, Wake, and unc

It's late in the week and we're all thrown off a bit by changes to the schedule, so I'll just say that I won't be putting one out this week.

Top Players:
D'Eriq King
- Made some throws that were NFL quality, including a dime down the boundary that hit the WR in stride and forced the defense to respect that aspect of the offense more. He looks to be gaining confidence, which is something to be expected after limited offseason workouts due to COVID.

Zion Nelson- He really erased his side in pass protection and was active in recovery for free blitzers. His athleticism was on display on a couple of plays where he hit defenders who were blitzing and King was creating extra time with movement in the pocket. Big improvement from this player over last year.

Dee Wiggins- Had a nice game, while he had another drop, he made several plays in this game that were above average for a D1 WR.

Jaelen Phillips- This game looked to be his coming out party and he used a better array of moves to get pressure. How a an edge defender plays the run really speaks to the type of teammate he is because there is little glory in being a force player that sets an edge and forces a RB or QB to cut back inside and your teammates make the plays and get the stats. Phillips has done that for much of the year, but in this game he excelled at it. He even got off that block on the outside a few times and made the play himself, which is next level. Probably only have him for four more games.

Te'Cory Couch- Truly loved the kid on tape in high school, but he also looked like he was 145 pounds. He's worked hard and put on weight, but the type of play maker he was on film was again on display in this game. He has a knack for blitzing from the slot and getting home in time while avoiding blockers. That's an instinctual thing that most players do not have at his position. He's truthfully our best defensive back right now and the future is bright.

Trending Level:
Nesta Silvera-
Had a solid game with a few run stops that make you see his raw power is legitimate. Not the pocket pusher you'd think given his ferocity, but a solid DT.

Sam Brooks- He has taken a step forward in his ability to take on blockers in the run game. He's playing a step faster than he was earlier in the year. Still needs to take another step and play with confidence and trust what the coaches are telling him are his keys. If he gains weight and strength, next year you will see a step forward.

Jarrid Williams- Steady player continues to show up in each game and do his job. Not a people mover, but is a finesse blocker who battles.

Gilbert Frierson- When you're in the trending level section it's a good thing when your level is All-ACC. Frierson has taken his communication to another level the past few games and has gotten Miami into better position on multiple occasions in this game.

Needs to Improve:
Bubba Bolden-
He made a play against Louisville that was next level. Since that game he has really struggled to get back to that level. Tackling angles are poor, coverage is hesitant. He also had his soul stolen on a screen pass and that appears to have taken some confidence. Maybe he's injured?

Quincy Roche- Expected more from him as a playmaker. He has made a couple of plays, but if you can't beat mid-level ACC OT's you aren't a high draft pick. Maybe the time away will get him back in a groove.

Al Blades- I have a vested interest in Blades, as he is an athletics testing darling, but his continued inability to find the ball makes him tough to play at times. Teams have identified him as a player to test deep in man coverage and he has struggled.

Gurvan Hall- He looks slow and unsure of himself. I'm guessing something is impacting him, either injury or off-field, but we need him to improve quickly.

Overall:
Miami won a coin flip road game against a team that advanced analytics say is better than Miami. They did it without several players in their two-deep and on the road. I'm impressed that they've found a way to rally in consecutive games in the 4th quarter because previous iterations of the Canes would've folded. I actually predicted them to fold in this game in the 4th quarter, but for the second week in a row, instead of folding they actually dominated.

Adjustments on defense took away some of their quick passes and forced Hooker to beat them through the air. Their RB being limited certainly helped Miami, but is Miami slowly becoming a 4th quarter right before our eyes?

I can be excited about being 7-1 and know that we can't keep winning one-score games at a 100% clip. That is an area that tends to be a bit random and Miami is ripe for an upset if they keep letting teams hang around.
Of the draft eligibles at the end of season, who do you think stays for one more year at Greentree?

Advertisement
So are you saying we lose to GT, Wake, and unc
Not necessarily, but their is a stark resemblance of that 2017 season. Wake and NC definitely can beat us if our defense doesn't improve. I know their defense isn't the greatest as well, but we don't need a replay of the NC State game where we need a Heisman effort from King to win.

Rosier was a bit banged up at the end of 2017 along with Richards and Herndon.
And of course Walton was already out earlier that year.

These weeks off can make us fresher and healthier down the stretch in 2020. (At least that is what we are all hoping for.)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Jon Ford is left out of your "Trending"players.
He kept himself out of the disappointing group by playing decent in this game.

My pick for guy who we need to improve at end of season. If he can give us solid level run defense inside, with just some semblance of resetting the LOS in pass rush, he can change the outlook of the defense.

I *think* Nesta comes back.

From what I’m told, Bubba, King, Roche, Rousseau, Phillips are *expected* to leave.

I just *guess* Harris leaves.
I would advise those players, barring catastrophic injury, they have a better chance of playing themselves into a higher draft choice by returning than leaving for April's meat market.

Yes? No?

I would advise those players, barring catastrophic injury, they have a better chance of playing themselves into a higher draft choice by returning than leaving for April's meat market.

Yes? No?
which means it is with absolute certainty that they will ALL leave. IMO, Phillips is ready to go. the others? not so much

Advertisement

Yes? No?
It's hard to build anything if your better Juniors constantly leave to be middling draft picks.

I'd advise them all to come back, just from a team standpoint. They can only help themselves coming back - the NFL has no interest in teaching you technique. It's a results based business when you get to that stage - someone like Phillips, who gets by on athleticism and effort, is only hurting himself leaving now (unless his last 3 games are like his previous 3 games).

Bolden has been undraftable since the Clemson game.

Advertisement
Back