Upon Further Review- Virginia Tech

Lance Roffers

Junior
It's late in the week and we're all thrown off a bit by changes to the schedule, so I'll just say that I won't be putting one out this week.

Top Players:
D'Eriq King
- Made some throws that were NFL quality, including a dime down the boundary that hit the WR in stride and forced the defense to respect that aspect of the offense more. He looks to be gaining confidence, which is something to be expected after limited offseason workouts due to COVID.

Zion Nelson- He really erased his side in pass protection and was active in recovery for free blitzers. His athleticism was on display on a couple of plays where he hit defenders who were blitzing and King was creating extra time with movement in the pocket. Big improvement from this player over last year.

Dee Wiggins- Had a nice game, while he had another drop, he made several plays in this game that were above average for a D1 WR.

Jaelen Phillips- This game looked to be his coming out party and he used a better array of moves to get pressure. How a an edge defender plays the run really speaks to the type of teammate he is because there is little glory in being a force player that sets an edge and forces a RB or QB to cut back inside and your teammates make the plays and get the stats. Phillips has done that for much of the year, but in this game he excelled at it. He even got off that block on the outside a few times and made the play himself, which is next level. Probably only have him for four more games.

Te'Cory Couch- Truly loved the kid on tape in high school, but he also looked like he was 145 pounds. He's worked hard and put on weight, but the type of play maker he was on film was again on display in this game. He has a knack for blitzing from the slot and getting home in time while avoiding blockers. That's an instinctual thing that most players do not have at his position. He's truthfully our best defensive back right now and the future is bright.

Trending Level:
Nesta Silvera-
Had a solid game with a few run stops that make you see his raw power is legitimate. Not the pocket pusher you'd think given his ferocity, but a solid DT.

Sam Brooks- He has taken a step forward in his ability to take on blockers in the run game. He's playing a step faster than he was earlier in the year. Still needs to take another step and play with confidence and trust what the coaches are telling him are his keys. If he gains weight and strength, next year you will see a step forward.

Jarrid Williams- Steady player continues to show up in each game and do his job. Not a people mover, but is a finesse blocker who battles.

Gilbert Frierson- When you're in the trending level section it's a good thing when your level is All-ACC. Frierson has taken his communication to another level the past few games and has gotten Miami into better position on multiple occasions in this game.

Needs to Improve:
Bubba Bolden-
He made a play against Louisville that was next level. Since that game he has really struggled to get back to that level. Tackling angles are poor, coverage is hesitant. He also had his soul stolen on a screen pass and that appears to have taken some confidence. Maybe he's injured?

Quincy Roche- Expected more from him as a playmaker. He has made a couple of plays, but if you can't beat mid-level ACC OT's you aren't a high draft pick. Maybe the time away will get him back in a groove.

Al Blades- I have a vested interest in Blades, as he is an athletics testing darling, but his continued inability to find the ball makes him tough to play at times. Teams have identified him as a player to test deep in man coverage and he has struggled.

Gurvan Hall- He looks slow and unsure of himself. I'm guessing something is impacting him, either injury or off-field, but we need him to improve quickly.

Overall:
Miami won a coin flip road game against a team that advanced analytics say is better than Miami. They did it without several players in their two-deep and on the road. I'm impressed that they've found a way to rally in consecutive games in the 4th quarter because previous iterations of the Canes would've folded. I actually predicted them to fold in this game in the 4th quarter, but for the second week in a row, instead of folding they actually dominated.

Adjustments on defense took away some of their quick passes and forced Hooker to beat them through the air. Their RB being limited certainly helped Miami, but is Miami slowly becoming a 4th quarter right before our eyes?

I can be excited about being 7-1 and know that we can't keep winning one-score games at a 100% clip. That is an area that tends to be a bit random and Miami is ripe for an upset if they keep letting teams hang around.

Advertisement
It's late in the week and we're all thrown off a bit by changes to the schedule, so I'll just say that I won't be putting one out this week.

Top Players:
D'Eriq King
- Made some throws that were NFL quality, including a dime down the boundary that hit the WR in stride and forced the defense to respect that aspect of the offense more. He looks to be gaining confidence, which is something to be expected after limited offseason workouts due to COVID.

Zion Nelson- He really erased his side in pass protection and was active in recovery for free blitzers. His athleticism was on display on a couple of plays where he hit defenders who were blitzing and King was creating extra time with movement in the pocket. Big improvement from this player over last year.

Dee Wiggins- Had a nice game, while he had another drop, he made several plays in this game that were above average for a D1 WR.

Jaelen Phillips- This game looked to be his coming out party and he used a better array of moves to get pressure. How a an edge defender plays the run really speaks to the type of teammate he is because there is little glory in being a force player that sets an edge and forces a RB or QB to cut back inside and your teammates make the plays and get the stats. Phillips has done that for much of the year, but in this game he excelled at it. He even got off that block on the outside a few times and made the play himself, which is next level. Probably only have him for four more games.

Te'Cory Couch- Truly loved the kid on tape in high school, but he also looked like he was 145 pounds. He's worked hard and put on weight, but the type of play maker he was on film was again on display in this game. He has a knack for blitzing from the slot and getting home in time while avoiding blockers. That's an instinctual thing that most players do not have at his position. He's truthfully our best defensive back right now and the future is bright.

Trending Level:
Nesta Silvera-
Had a solid game with a few run stops that make you see his raw power is legitimate. Not the pocket pusher you'd think given his ferocity, but a solid DT.

Sam Brooks- He has taken a step forward in his ability to take on blockers in the run game. He's playing a step faster than he was earlier in the year. Still needs to take another step and play with confidence and trust what the coaches are telling him are his keys. If he gains weight and strength, next year you will see a step forward.

Jarrid Williams- Steady player continues to show up in each game and do his job. Not a people mover, but is a finesse blocker who battles.

Gilbert Frierson- When you're in the trending level section it's a good thing when your level is All-ACC. Frierson has taken his communication to another level the past few games and has gotten Miami into better position on multiple occasions in this game.

Needs to Improve:
Bubba Bolden-
He made a play against Louisville that was next level. Since that game he has really struggled to get back to that level. Tackling angles are poor, coverage is hesitant. He also had his soul stolen on a screen pass and that appears to have taken some confidence. Maybe he's injured?

Quincy Roche- Expected more from him as a playmaker. He has made a couple of plays, but if you can't beat mid-level ACC OT's you aren't a high draft pick. Maybe the time away will get him back in a groove.

Al Blades- I have a vested interest in Blades, as he is an athletics testing darling, but his continued inability to find the ball makes him tough to play at times. Teams have identified him as a player to test deep in man coverage and he has struggled.

Gurvan Hall- He looks slow and unsure of himself. I'm guessing something is impacting him, either injury or off-field, but we need him to improve quickly.

Overall:
Miami won a coin flip road game against a team that advanced analytics say is better than Miami. They did it without several players in their two-deep and on the road. I'm impressed that they've found a way to rally in consecutive games in the 4th quarter because previous iterations of the Canes would've folded. I actually predicted them to fold in this game in the 4th quarter, but for the second week in a row, instead of folding they actually dominated.

Adjustments on defense took away some of their quick passes and forced Hooker to beat them through the air. Their RB being limited certainly helped Miami, but is Miami slowly becoming a 4th quarter right before our eyes?

I can be excited about being 7-1 and know that we can't keep winning one-score games at a 100% clip. That is an area that tends to be a bit random and Miami is ripe for an upset if they keep letting teams hang around.
Good stuff Lance! Thanks for your perspective. I appreciate your input and the timely reviews provided.

Bubba Bolden- He made a play against Louisville that was next level. Since that game he has really struggled to get back to that level. Tackling angles are poor, coverage is hesitant. He also had his soul stolen on a screen pass and that appears to have taken some confidence. Maybe he's injured?
I think him getting his nose smashed in and the effort he put in @ Clemson in comparison to the result has messed w/ his head. Not sure if it’s timidity or he’s unmotivated, but seems like something mental. The whole back end of the defense is just off, not sure what’s going on behind closed doors, but hope they pull it together

Advertisement
Solid stuff. My only problem with this thread is it comes after almost a week of the board being filled with cycles of posters parroting garbage takes.

Sad there is no "Further Review" but appreciate the writeup. Agree on all maybe outside the Roche comment. He was definitely quiet but that VT tackle is a projected 1st rnd draft pick.

Advertisement

Top Players:
D'Eriq King

Trending Level:
Nesta Silvera-

Needs to Improve:
Bubba Bolden-

Overall:

Remember 2017? WE had late comebacks during that season as well. We kept winning close games until we blew out ND and VT, then loss to Pitt and Clemson, and Wis....

Top Players:
D'Eriq King

Trending Level:
Nesta Silvera-

Needs to Improve:
Bubba Bolden-

Overall:

Fantastic summation, and dead on balls.

Lance, i agree Gilbert has played from well to elite from time to time... but when you are breaking down the tape do you find that he often ignores his assignment and free-llances... he is often chasing a qb on read option when he has outside contain, trailing a RB he was supposed to pick up in the flat or chasing a TE down the field that he just didn't cover... these situations lead to a ton of free yards...your thoughts

Advertisement
Lance, i agree Gilbert has played from well to elite from time to time... but when you are breaking down the tape do you find that he often ignores his assignment and free-llances... he is often chasing a qb on read option when he has outside contain, trailing a RB he was supposed to pick up in the flat or chasing a TE down the field that he just didn't cover... these situations lead to a ton of free yards...your thoughts
Always important to know/understand the actual assignment of each player on that specific defense. Did he see something on film for that play etc. I doubt he will be responsible for being an edge on many read option plays, usually that would be Roche or Phillips in our scheme. Frierson will normally have the C-gap on run plays, for sure.

The position he plays tends to be more of a freelance player than a MLB. As an example, Isaiah Simmons rarely had a "responsibility" on plays last year with Clemson. He tended to simply be an overhang player who filled the hook zone and dogged the QB (blitzed, essentially, when there was no coverage player for him to take).

By that nature, if you don't have an actual designated role on a particular play, you can appear to be out-of-position when you're chasing, or appear to have not picked up a receiver when you see them open (but you didn't have actual designation for that coverage). The role requires a highly intelligent player who can do multiple things. It means you get noticed a lot- either for making a big play that looks out of nowhere, or because you appear to have blown an assignment and are chasing/trailing a play.

Just my .02

Advertisement
Always important to know/understand the actual assignment of each player on that specific defense. Did he see something on film for that play etc. I doubt he will be responsible for being an edge on many read option plays, usually that would be Roche or Phillips in our scheme. Frierson will normally have the C-gap on run plays, for sure.

The position he plays tends to be more of a freelance player than a MLB. As an example, Isaiah Simmons rarely had a "responsibility" on plays last year with Clemson. He tended to simply be an overhang player who filled the hook zone and dogged the QB (blitzed, essentially, when there was no coverage player for him to take).

By that nature, if you don't have an actual designated role on a particular play, you can appear to be out-of-position when you're chasing, or appear to have not picked up a receiver when you see them open (but you didn't have actual designation for that coverage). The role requires a highly intelligent player who can do multiple things. It means you get noticed a lot- either for making a big play that looks out of nowhere, or because you appear to have blown an assignment and are chasing/trailing a play.

Just my .02
You’re spot on. Most times he doesn’t have an actual “assignment” but that’s why I think he’s been close to our best player on defense. He communicates very well and adjusts on the fly. He gets guys in the right spot so he can freelance the way he does

Nice to see your praise of Zion. He deserves a lot of credit. My default going into the season was that it would be a miracle for the worst OT to even improve to where he was serviceable. But he seems to have defied everyone's expectations and is emerging as a future star. Do you feel that way? That would be a heck of a comeback story if so.

With Brooks coming on, Gil and Couch stepping up, we could be close to a complete defense again if Blades and the safeties would just get their heads out of their backsides. The talent is on the field like we always wanted. Just has to come together.

Nice to see your praise of Zion. He deserves a lot of credit. My default going into the season was that it would be a miracle for the worst OT to even improve to where he was serviceable. But he seems to have defied everyone's expectations and is emerging as a future star. Do you feel that way? That would be a heck of a comeback story if so.

With Brooks coming on, Gil and Couch stepping up, we could be close to a complete defense again if Blades and the safeties would just get their heads out of their backsides. The talent is on the field like we always wanted. Just has to come together.
That kid is going to the league. He’s going to play here all 4 years and make us proud. I’m getting in on that bet early

Advertisement
Back