Upon Further Review- UNC

View as article

Lance Roffers

Junior
There is no welcome back. This time you will eat your vegetables and you will like it. Full disclosure: I predicted UNC to win this game 52-38 and it is because of how bad the matchup was for Miami’s defense. I said on a show I wouldn’t be shocked if UNC rushed for 250+ yards. I expected UNC to hurt Miami’s defense because it causes so much stress on the areas of Miami’s defense that are not great currently; DT & LB.

First play should’ve been a TD and King makes an average throw. He has no safety out there and all that green grass, but he throws it on a line and straight upfield and allowed the CB to come across and make a play. Nice play by the CB though.
1.png

Nice blocking. Easy read with no Mike in the MOF. RT kicks out, RG turns in, big run.
2.png

Gaynor is forklifted at the LOS. It is difficult for C’s to handle NT’s who play 0-technique (right in front over their chest) who can lock-out their arms and play two gaps. I’d prefer to attack UNC downhill rather than on slow-developing horizontal plays in the backfield. They’re fast and have an excellent Mike.
3.png

Can’t ask Mallory to block an edge 1-on-1 and have King sit in the pocket. Not his strong suit and never has been. He’s easily knocked to the ground on this play. Toughness is something our OL/TE’s lack in my view. In many ways, football is about toughness and wanting to execute your job more than the other guy.
4.png

We are going to turn to the defense after a poor sequence of plays calls to end the last drive with a FG. This is going to hurt.

UNC opens up and runs a play that is going to hurt the style of defense Miami plays with the personnel that they run it with. UNC pulls their LG and LT in a power-lead concept that puts Miami in a bind because Howell can run/pass out of it. This eliminates the need to even block Roche for the most part.
4A.png

Jennings is put in a bind on this play where he has to decide to attack or lay back. He obviously lays back, as he is often want to do. Your DT has to help on this play by doing one of two things: 1. Splitting this gap immediately and following the inside hip of the first puller and getting into the backfield before the LT gets there. 2. Holding up this initial puller from getting out into the second-level. Some call this defensive holding, but it’s a trick that good run defenses do all the time where you hold that puller up and create a mush pile in the backfield that the RB has to avoid and the LB’s clean up. Pretty much everyone on defense plays it poorly.

Your DT is backing up and playing it soft. He is not creating a mush pile and he is not holding up that blocker. Your MLB has moved two yards in the time the C has moved two yards and helped block a DT. Nesta continued backing up and never actually touched a soul as the RB leaps over Jennings’ lifeless body and gets a first down. Your SAM LB stays in the hook zone because he’s scared of the RPO slant and effectively your backside DE and backside LB are both taken out of the play by fear of Howell. UNC was merciless with this play and Miami’s coaches were powerless to do anything about it.
5.png

Same issue Ivey had last week with his footwork he has again here. If you didn’t read it last week, Ivey has trouble with a little half-step off his right foot instead of turning his hips and stepping forward with his left foot. Fast players who struggle with stealing bases often have this issue of turning their hips and pushing off their left leg (inside leg) instead of turning and pushing off with outside leg (right leg). You’ve cost yourself a half step when you do that. Brown releases across his face and has him beaten deep already. Howell makes a perfect pass and Miami is in for a long day.
6.png

I’m often asked why I believe Baker’s defense will not work against elite teams and it’s because I believe his defense asks players to do things they simply aren’t capable of doing against great QB’s. Here, the look is split back out of shotgun with a 2 x 1 look with the 1 to the field side (wide side with lots of space). The defensive playcall is a blitz from the field side (striker) who has to come a long way to get any pressure. Because it’s split backs UNC immediately has an advantage (one or both of the RB’s can block the blitzer). If UNC releases the RB to the side of the blitz Howell can dump it off and no one is out there with a lot of space. You’re asking Jennings to cover both A-gaps in the run game (which either RB can get the ball) AND cover the flat to the field side to replace Frierson’s responsibility while expecting a delayed blitz to get home with the potential for seven blockers on your five rushers. UNC is lethal out of split backs and asking a slow MLB to handle all of these responsibilities is unfair. Jennings hasn’t even moved while his RB has a running start because he has to be sure it’s not an A-gap run from the other RB. RB falls down or it would’ve been a nice gain.
7.png

UNC’s OC Phil Longo has Miami’s defense spinning like a top. Miami cannot defend this play with the defense they have. Howell is reading one defender on this play. If he jumps the RB, he takes the TE over the middle. If he carries the TE, he drops it off to the RB. Defender jumps the RB and TE is wide-open over the middle for 12 yards. RB in flat would be there if McCloud carries the middle to take TE.
8.png

McCloud unblocked into the backfield could’ve made this 4th & 2. Instead, he lets the RB get first down. Toughness and want-to. The run game is mostly about toughness and want-to.
9.png

When UNC brought in Mack Brown I thought they made a mistake and were hiring a re-tread. Instead, he’s gone out and treated the role like a CEO and hired an excellent staff around him. UNC saw the success we had with mid-line reads against Duke and put in their own wrinkle to get the read to be against a LB rather than a DT. A LB is much more comfortable playing in space and simply waits in the hole for the QB to declare and then forces the RB to run horizontally for a huge TFL. To be fair, the RB needs to attack and just get what they can, rather than running backwards. From a schematic, effort, toughness standpoint Miami is simply not on the level of UNC at this point. Their coaching staff put things into place to dominate Miami from jump.
10.png

If you read my articles you know how much I want my OL to look for work. This annoys me greatly to see a 3-man rush with 6-blockers and two of them are just standing there. Head on a swivel and help Jarrid out here. UNC has double spy’s on King so he has no chance to run for it. They both get preoccupied with the fear of the LB’s “dogging them” and rushing late.
11.png

The quality of the video is bad on this play, but the lead on this twin puller run play doesn’t even have someone to block until he’s past the LOS.
12.png

They ran the exact same play on the next play. No one is winning up front. At some point you have to just attack the RB off the edge and live with Howell pulling it if he does. Goes for 33 again.
12A.png

Ivey has his hands facing the wrong direction. Attack the ball with your hands up instead of trying to cradle the ball. Bad technique.
13.png

Jordan Miller not hustling off and costing his team an interception is a microcosm of this game. (Not pictured)

Two guys jump the QB (for some reason) and the receiver here just runs behind them both for an easy 1st down. Pass rush is just crushed inside. Whew.
14.png

UNC runs the same play and Howell does run the ball. What’s our S Amari Carter waiting on since he has no coverage responsibility and the QB is out of the pocket running.
14A.png

Constantly putting our defenders in a bind in this offense. Run a whip route out of boundary slot with wheel from RB putting boundary defender in a bind. S is late to react to the whip and it’s an easy completion.
15.png

I bet they have, but I don’t remember seeing triple slants this year. Goes for nice yardage to Brevin.
16.png

Look at the difference in how Miami runs the same double-pull counter run. The UNC DT causes a mush pile by driving LT backwards. LB’s are attacking downhill. C takes a bad angle and has to bubble around the LT’s legs and is essentially useless on the play.
17.png

Cut Nesta and Jennings, let the DT rush upfield and take himself out of the play, RB has a truck-sized hole. This goes for a TD.
18.png

Miami commits another dumb penalty and puts themselves behind the chains. Punt. (Not pictured)

Roche has the edge on this play. The patience of the RB is impressive on this play as he stutters, presses the hole and gets Roche to commit. Once Roche gives up the edge it’s over because no one else is out there. Both of the UNC RB’s are pros. Bradley Jennings, unfortunately, is not. Engulfed again and not able to disengage.
19.png

Same Counter trap with double-pullers. Attack the run, LB’s! McCloud cuts in front of Jennings instead of being the force player and this goes inside the red-zone.
20.png

Run a stunt, then RB releases because he doesn’t see it. C doesn’t pass off other stunter and it’s a free rush. Sack.
21.png

The key to stopping this play is your DT’s. Finally get on the hip of the puller and shoot into the backfield and make him bubble and Phillips gets upfield and you stuff the run. Leonard Taylor is the most important recruit for Miami and it isn’t close. Of course, you get a personal foul penalty and give up the 1st down.
22.png

All game they put Miami defenders in a bind. S has to cover the wheel or the post. LB’s fall for the play fake and it’s a huge gain on the play-action. This defense truly has no idea what to do in this game and I can only guess what the coaches are hoping for on this play. That’s UNC’s best WR Dyami Brown.
24.png

Miami’s front is getting embarrassed. Goes for a 1st down.
25.png

Miami’s front is getting embarrassed. Goes for a TD.
26.png

Where are you going Jennings? Absolutely embarrassed.
27.png

Look at the difference. #10 is using a long arm to set an edge (Mallory cannot block an edge, stop asking him to). DT is pushing Gaynor into the backfield. LB and edge are flowing down the LOS to clean up. Lashlee has really called a bad game thus far.
28.png

Edge doesn’t even care about the play fake to the RB and goes straight to the QB. Big sack. Team is completely unprepared.
29.png

Advertisement
Ivey’s footwork on the release is a mess. This goes to the 5-yard line because he simply cannot use his feet to stop a free release. I’ll own this one, I asked for more press and physicality with WR’s and Ivey has failed miserably. Bolden played hard in this game and runs it down (he’s standing on the opposite side of the field on the 30-yard line).
30.png

31.png

To all those saying they quit, Miami got a horrendous pass interference called against them to give a 1st-and-goal from the two and held them to a FG. (Not pictured)

Here is Miami’s game in a nutshell: bumping into each other on the jet motion and the give.
32.png

Tough to see, but #74 tries to cut Nesta, who avoids it and 74 leg whips him and trips him. Where is McCloud going. His gap is the cutback and he’s supposed to flow inside-out. Phillips trips over Nesta who fell after getting leg-whipped. Huge cutback run. Big miss by officials.
33.png

You want to stop this spread-running game? You need your DT’s to get into the backfield and make plays. TFL.
34.png

If I told you this RB picks up two yards on this play you’d call me a liar. If Phillips makes the tackle, it’s a punt and we get the ball back. Picking up a couple of yards leads to them going for it and picking it up (of course).
35.png

4th down, no one for the RG to even block. No one in the middle of the field. Easy run. You think this defense is going to work?
36.png

DT’s are the only way to stop this run play. Show you can get penetration and get them off the call.
37.png

GO! What are you waiting for on the edge? He’s so confused he’s actually backing up. Phillips blows up both of the pullers on this play and makes it perfect for the force player to fly upfield and he’s actually backing up and I want to throw my laptop. Holy mother of everything perfect, how do you play this so badly Frierson? This gets a first down. Someone fight and get off a block and make a tackle downfield as well.
38.png

Flagg takes the wrong gap. RB just waits for the defenders to declare and shoots upfield for 19yards.
39.png

Again, their coaches > our coaches in this game. Five blockers and they bring four and we block three of them while giving a free rush off the edge. Embarrassing.
40.png

The only thing I ask of our coaches on offense in the bowl game is to feature Brevin Jordan on more double moves.TD on the corner-post. LB’s/S’s are not used to covering double-moves.
41.png

Jennings has no confidence left at this point. There is no WR to threaten his coverage at this point, yet he’s backing up because he just doesn’t know where to go to defend this play. Goes for 16. Nesta made the tackle. Say what you will, but Nesta and Bolden played hard the whole game.
42.png

Run the same play again the next play and they go off the same C-gap that no one wants to contain, and it goes for 44-yards. Amari Carter had his entire competitive spirit stolen out of him on the play as he got run over, got up and buried back down again by an OL. I feel bad for him during film session. To protect him from having his kids google this one day, I’ll just say (not pictured).

Ran it again the very next play and penetration from Phillip gets a TFL. (Not pictured)

Grimes definitely grabbed the arm of Wiggins, but the ball is in Wiggins’ hands and he lets a kid take the ball straight away from him. Another referendum of who wanted to be here and who didn’t in this game. UNC showed up with a mission and Miami wanted to update the IG story. (Not pictured)

Bring pressure off the edge to try and stop that outside run, Nesta jumps inside and they just ride him out of there, Ford is useless, Frierson doesn’t know where to attack, it’s almost a house call right through the heart of the defense (lack of). Amari Carter was staring down the gun barrel as a safety on this play and just stops his feet and gets humiliated. What a film session that is going to be. I do wonder what direction Manny goes with it; does he stomp on their manhood after this game or does he try to build up their confidence? For the most part, his M.O. is to build them up.
43.png

You will watch an entire season of college football and not see many edges softer than this edge. The entire Miami defense is just caved in. Frierson is looking at it and just making a business decision at this point. Complete lack of effort at this point.
44.png

Remember the great 4th down play Phillips made against Duke? He made it in part because Jennings got into the backfield and forced a quick pitch. Here, he chases and loses his edge (my goodness Miami gave up the edge so easy all game). Toss to Howell for funsies.
45.png

It was all game, friends. Over-and-over like a battering ram against our feet stopping LB’s. Stacey Searles had to be loving life on the sidelines in this one. Here, his OL forms a tunnel any professional surfer would be proud to ride through. Despite having this play run on us a bunch of times, no LB seems to want to attack it. At least Flagg attacked it when he was in there.
46.png

Only two guys who showed any heart on defense. Silvera is 40 yards downfield.
47.png

I think we are done here.

Overall:
To me, you can take almost all goodwill built up over this season and move it to the side. It is time to question everything. Does Miami and their administration want to be great, or do they want to be ok? If they want to be ok, I firmly believe we are going to achieve that goal. We will go 8-4 most years and have an occasional 10-2 year when things break right. But, if Miami wants to be a program that doesn’t get embarrassed by any team with a pulse, there are fundamental changes that must take place.

• Coaches are held responsible for their performance on the field and in recruiting. I’m not talking about reasons things aren’t being accomplished, I’m talking about accountability for what is actually occurring. The coaches on the defensive side of the ball all have this game on their resume forever. This game was a game that costs people jobs or promotions. Manny Diaz was fired after a performance better than this one as DC and got busted down to La Tech before he came back.
  • Culture of toughness above all else. This program has been a front-running program above all others over the past decade. How many times has Miami gone out and played above their talent level in the past several years? Not many. How many times have they played below their talent level? Too many to count. That is all about the culture in that locker room and how they conduct themselves every day. It starts at the top, but it grows due to a refusal to let your peers accept anything less. Has anything really changed since Jaden Haselwood declared that the players didn’t care enough? You tell me.
  • Stop deferring to seniority. If a player is better, he plays. You aren’t lying to the locker room. They see it plain as day. Bradley Jennings and Zach McCloud aren’t as good as Corey Flagg and Sam Brooks and it’s obvious. Scott Patchan wasn’t as good as Rousseau and it was obvious. Amari Carter isn’t as good as Bubba Bolden and it’s obvious. The silliness about earning it during mat drills etc. is just that. Get your best players to buy in and actually develop them. Feelings are for failures.
  • Coaches who are not your Facebook friend need to be brought in. Coaches who have the cache and resume to question you and bring a different perspective need to be brought in. There are too many coaches brought up in the “Manny system” to question what we are doing defensively. This is Manny’s defense. Almost every coach in it is a disciple. How is anyone going to question the scheme when it’s what they were raised in. How does a team flourish when everyone was trained and experienced the same things?
  • Analysts need to be hired to understand tendencies of opponents and provide counters. UNC ran the same counter-lead play 11 times through three quarters and gained 297 yards off of it. At no point was an adjustment made. One defensive player decided to pick a gap and attack. It was what was coached into them every time but one (Flagg attacked the A-gap in error). There should have been multiple ways to play their zone runs put in before the game and had adjustments ready if the original wasn’t working.
  • Mental penalties have to stop. It’s one thing to get a facemask penalty out of hustle, or a questionable pass interference penalty. It’s quite another to be getting the back-breaking personal foul and unsportsmanlike penalties that Miami was famous for this year. Accountability has been lacking and that speaks to the people in charge.
Moving Forward
There is a bowl game to come. Transparency needs to be provided to the players and coaches about what is expected in this game or changes will be made. Not a threat. A start of a new standard.

@Lance Roffers what are your honest thoughts on the state of the program? I know you delved into it a little on OP but I want to know your thoughts on Manny and the un-athletic board. To be quite honest, all my hope in this program is down the drain.
I think you'll learn a lot by how they respond. Everyone loses, but it felt worse than that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Fantastic! @LanceRoffers some very key points at the end. They must hire a 1.5/2 million dollar boss DC and HIS staff. They need to game plan and adjust at a much higher level. Seniority is a losers mentality. That’s the beginnings of softness and breeds entitlement. Manny must stop with that most of all. Not only the with players, but his coaching staff as well. Manny is officially on the one year clock. It started Saturday seven minutes into the third quarter. I’m praying he can convince Muschamp to coach here. Pay the man whatever he wants and bring his choice of assistants.

Ivey’s footwork on the release is a mess. This goes to the 5-yard line because he simply cannot use his feet to stop a free release. I’ll own this one, I asked for more press and physicality with WR’s and Ivey has failed miserably. Bolden played hard in this game and runs it down (he’s standing on the opposite side of the field on the 30-yard line).
View attachment 137864
View attachment 137865

To all those saying they quit, Miami got a horrendous pass interference called against them to give a 1st-and-goal from the two and held them to a FG. (Not pictured)

Here is Miami’s game in a nutshell: bumping into each other on the jet motion and the give.
View attachment 137866

Tough to see, but #74 tries to cut Nesta, who avoids it and 74 leg whips him and trips him. Where is McCloud going. His gap is the cutback and he’s supposed to flow inside-out. Phillips trips over Nesta who fell after getting leg-whipped. Huge cutback run. Big miss by officials.
View attachment 137867

You want to stop this spread-running game? You need your DT’s to get into the backfield and make plays. TFL.
View attachment 137868

If I told you this RB picks up two yards on this play you’d call me a liar. If Phillips makes the tackle, it’s a punt and we get the ball back. Picking up a couple of yards leads to them going for it and picking it up (of course).
View attachment 137869

4th down, no one for the RG to even block. No one in the middle of the field. Easy run. You think this defense is going to work?
View attachment 137870

DT’s are the only way to stop this run play. Show you can get penetration and get them off the call.
View attachment 137871

GO! What are you waiting for on the edge? He’s so confused he’s actually backing up. Phillips blows up both of the pullers on this play and makes it perfect for the force player to fly upfield and he’s actually backing up and I want to throw my laptop. Holy mother of everything perfect, how do you play this so badly Frierson? This gets a first down. Someone fight and get off a block and make a tackle downfield as well.
View attachment 137873

Flagg takes the wrong gap. RB just waits for the defenders to declare and shoots upfield for 19yards.
View attachment 137875

Again, their coaches > our coaches in this game. Five blockers and they bring four and we block three of them while giving a free rush off the edge. Embarrassing.
View attachment 137876

The only thing I ask of our coaches on offense in the bowl game is to feature Brevin Jordan on more double moves.TD on the corner-post. LB’s/S’s are not used to covering double-moves.
View attachment 137877

Jennings has no confidence left at this point. There is no WR to threaten his coverage at this point, yet he’s backing up because he just doesn’t know where to go to defend this play. Goes for 16. Nesta made the tackle. Say what you will, but Nesta and Bolden played hard the whole game.
View attachment 137879

Run the same play again the next play and they go off the same C-gap that no one wants to contain, and it goes for 44-yards. Amari Carter had his entire competitive spirit stolen out of him on the play as he got run over, got up and buried back down again by an OL. I feel bad for him during film session. To protect him from having his kids google this one day, I’ll just say (not pictured).

Ran it again the very next play and penetration from Phillip gets a TFL. (Not pictured)

Grimes definitely grabbed the arm of Wiggins, but the ball is in Wiggins’ hands and he lets a kid take the ball straight away from him. Another referendum of who wanted to be here and who didn’t in this game. UNC showed up with a mission and Miami wanted to update the IG story. (Not pictured)

Bring pressure off the edge to try and stop that outside run, Nesta jumps inside and they just ride him out of there, Ford is useless, Frierson doesn’t know where to attack, it’s almost a house call right through the heart of the defense (lack of). Amari Carter was staring down the gun barrel as a safety on this play and just stops his feet and gets humiliated. What a film session that is going to be. I do wonder what direction Manny goes with it; does he stomp on their manhood after this game or does he try to build up their confidence? For the most part, his M.O. is to build them up.
View attachment 137880

You will watch an entire season of college football and not see many edges softer than this edge. The entire Miami defense is just caved in. Frierson is looking at it and just making a business decision at this point. Complete lack of effort at this point.
View attachment 137881

Remember the great 4th down play Phillips made against Duke? He made it in part because Jennings got into the backfield and forced a quick pitch. Here, he chases and loses his edge (my goodness Miami gave up the edge so easy all game). Toss to Howell for funsies.
View attachment 137882

It was all game, friends. Over-and-over like a battering ram against our feet stopping LB’s. Stacey Searles had to be loving life on the sidelines in this one. Here, his OL forms a tunnel any professional surfer would be proud to ride through. Despite having this play run on us a bunch of times, no LB seems to want to attack it. At least Flagg attacked it when he was in there.
View attachment 137883

Only two guys who showed any heart on defense. Silvera is 40 yards downfield.
View attachment 137884

I think we are done here.

Overall:
To me, you can take almost all goodwill built up over this season and move it to the side. It is time to question everything. Does Miami and their administration want to be great, or do they want to be ok? If they want to be ok, I firmly believe we are going to achieve that goal. We will go 8-4 most years and have an occasional 10-2 year when things break right. But, if Miami wants to be a program that doesn’t get embarrassed by any team with a pulse, there are fundamental changes that must take place.

• Coaches are held responsible for their performance on the field and in recruiting. I’m not talking about reasons things aren’t being accomplished, I’m talking about accountability for what is actually occurring. The coaches on the defensive side of the ball all have this game on their resume forever. This game was a game that costs people jobs or promotions. Manny Diaz was fired after a performance better than this one as DC and got busted down to La Tech before he came back.
  • Culture of toughness above all else. This program has been a front-running program above all others over the past decade. How many times has Miami gone out and played above their talent level in the past several years? Not many. How many times have they played below their talent level? Too many to count. That is all about the culture in that locker room and how they conduct themselves every day. It starts at the top, but it grows due to a refusal to let your peers accept anything less. Has anything really changed since Jaden Haselwood declared that the players didn’t care enough? You tell me.
  • Stop deferring to seniority. If a player is better, he plays. You aren’t lying to the locker room. They see it plain as day. Bradley Jennings and Zach McCloud aren’t as good as Corey Flagg and Sam Brooks and it’s obvious. Scott Patchan wasn’t as good as Rousseau and it was obvious. Amari Carter isn’t as good as Bubba Bolden and it’s obvious. The silliness about earning it during mat drills etc. is just that. Get your best players to buy in and actually develop them. Feelings are for failures.
  • Coaches who are not your Facebook friend need to be brought in. Coaches who have the cache and resume to question you and bring a different perspective need to be brought in. There are too many coaches brought up in the “Manny system” to question what we are doing defensively. This is Manny’s defense. Almost every coach in it is a disciple. How is anyone going to question the scheme when it’s what they were raised in. How does a team flourish when everyone was trained and experienced the same things?
  • Analysts need to be hired to understand tendencies of opponents and provide counters. UNC ran the same counter-lead play 11 times through three quarters and gained 297 yards off of it. At no point was an adjustment made. One defensive player decided to pick a gap and attack. It was what was coached into them every time but one (Flagg attacked the A-gap in error). There should have been multiple ways to play their zone runs put in before the game and had adjustments ready if the original wasn’t working.
  • Mental penalties have to stop. It’s one thing to get a facemask penalty out of hustle, or a questionable pass interference penalty. It’s quite another to be getting the back-breaking personal foul and unsportsmanlike penalties that Miami was famous for this year. Accountability has been lacking and that speaks to the people in charge.
Moving Forward
There is a bowl game to come. Transparency needs to be provided to the players and coaches about what is expected in this game or changes will be made. Not a threat. A start of a new standard.

UNC lost to ND because of the talent differential
Lost to FSU because they were sleepwalking
But against UVA, I think they actually played like it was a meaningful game but UVA still managed to beat them. Wasn't a off game for UNC. How did UVA manage that while UM couldnt? This was not a good UNC defense but Miami really struggled to move the ball. I think Lashlee is avoiding much deserved heat because of how bad the defense is.

Advertisement
UNC lost to ND because of the talent differential
Lost to FSU because they were sleepwalking
But against UVA, I think they actually played like it was a meaningful game but UVA still managed to beat them. Wasn't a off game for UNC. How did UVA manage that while UM couldnt? This was not a good UNC defense but Miami really struggled to move the ball. I think Lashlee is avoiding much deserved heat because of how bad the defense is.
our WR are garbage and oline is still below average

I love Lance's comment about not being able to question what you're doing on D because they all have the same background. We made that mistake with Richt hiring his son, 2 guys that played for him, a guy that coached under him, and another guy that was an analyst under him to the same staff. It's all they knew.

Then you bring in Enos and he hires 2 guys that worked under him as WR and OL coach, a RB coach that's only been a RB coach, and a TE coach that is a recruiter. Beyond their schemes sucking, no one was there to tell anyone anything different.

It's great when your staff is cohesive and on the same page all the time.. it's even better when you're on the same page but at the same time making adjustments and constantly challenging each other - similar to our offensive staff now. The defense needs at least 2 new faces with experience in completely different systems/backgrounds - preferably with some kind of coordinator/co-coordinator experience.

I'd start with 3 defensive changes - 1 at each level on the defense. Ask Stroud to step into an off-field role (he was going to do it when he first came here, why not now?). Fire Rumph and Baker.

That was brutal. Honest and great work Lance. If the local media would be as honest and hold the University, coaches, and AD accountable in the same way you do we might actually see change. I hope for the best (D staff gets gutted and Manny brings in someone with new ideas and blood) but am expecting the worst (no changes or changes to more "yes" men.

Advertisement
Back