Upon Further Review: UAB

@Lance Roffers how do feel the technique of our OL looks. I know you have been hyper critical of our technique in the past. Namely the waist bending and such
I’ll answer it this way: Jarrid Williams had a propensity to lose balance and get beat inside while at Houston and he was much improved at that in this one.

John Campbell was almost always half-man in his start against Florida. He had some trouble with that in this game but he used his length to recover rather than grabbing and holding.

Two players with clear deficiencies last year that both showed clear improvements on in this game. You credit both the players and the coaches for changing those things.

I’m encouraged. Not over the moon yet, but encouraged.

Advertisement
We’ve had poor coaching at the LB spot since Manny got here. Shaq and Pinck were decent, but too often they made the wrong reads, filled wrong gaps etc. and we got burnt bc of it. The splash plays they made were more based off instinct than coaching IMO.

That kid has been developed by UAB. If he would’ve gotten a shot here, he wouldn’t be that good.
I was wondering the same thing — based on what we’re seeing from Miami LBs — but I added in the other two options just in case. Manny ought to send him a grad-transfer invite, but clearly Miami is being disadvantaged at LB due to either coaching or development.

So this is interesting…

The two star athlete playing for UAB, could “definitely start for Miami“ (ahead of the linebackers that play for Miami) according to @Lance Roffers ? And the player, Kristopher Moll, is from … Coral Gables? The kid‘s high school is 2 miles from Greentree?

The holy **** that would have rained down on this board had Miami offered a 2-star — much less accepted a commitment.

So which is it?
- A miss evaluation by Miami?
- Poor coaching of Miami LBs?
- great development by UAB?

It’s all Of the above. Instinctive, active player who just doesn’t have elite attributes to get big offers. Also, does he sit for three years and learn behind Shaq/Pinck or does he leave for playing time elsewhere?

He’s a player though.

So this is interesting…

The two star athlete playing for UAB, could “definitely start for Miami“ (ahead of the linebackers that play for Miami) according to @Lance Roffers ? And the player, Kristopher Moll, is from … Coral Gables? The kid‘s high school is 2 miles from Greentree?

The holy **** that would have rained down on this board had Miami offered a 2-star — much less accepted a commitment.

So which is it?
- A miss evaluation by Miami?
- Poor coaching of Miami LBs?
- great development by UAB?
All 3. I’ll give them a pass on the missed evaluation though. I mean he was a two star and wasn’t offered by any big boys. It happens everywhere. There’s a ton of NFL players from G5 and FCS schools. Good players slip through the cracks all the time. Sometimes they don’t develop as early, sometimes they don’t have the measureables. Some guys get better coaching in college than they ever had before and the light turns on for them.

Advertisement
I was wondering the same thing — based on what we’re seeing from Miami LBs — but I added in the other two options just in case. Manny ought to send him a grad-transfer invite, but clearly Miami is being disadvantaged at LB due to either coaching or development.

It’s both. It’s bewildering how many times our guys are lost out there. McCloud has been here for 5 years and still can’t figure out what to do. I understand if guys are limited athletically and being a step slow, causes you to miss tackles. But if you’re repeatedly lost out there after years and years of coaching, it’s hard to blame the kid when it’s not only him.

It’s both. It’s bewildering how many times our guys are lost out there. McCloud has been here for 5 years and still can’t figure out what to do. I understand if guys are limited athletically and being a step slow, causes you to miss tackles. But if you’re repeatedly lost out there after years and years of coaching, it’s hard to blame the kid when it’s not only him.
I recently had the same convo with someone about Rumph (and I’m NOT a Rumph basher) … telling ain’t teaching. And kids look a whole lot more athletic when they know what to do and can anticipate what will happen.

I recently had the same convo with someone about Rumph (and I’m NOT a Rumph basher) … telling ain’t teaching. And kids look a whole lot more athletic when they know what to do and can anticipate what will happen.

Exactly. I’m a Rumph and Baker basher for that very reason. Kids aren’t playing freely. Seems to me there is more thinking, than playing going on. Miami has always flourished when they had a simple defensive scheme that free’d guys up to make plays.

Exactly. I’m a Rumph and Baker basher for that very reason. Kids aren’t playing freely. Seems to me there is more thinking, than playing going on. Miami has always flourished when they had a simple defensive scheme that free’d guys up to make plays.
Again, i don’t think it’s how relatively “free” the scheme may be, it’s the coaching that eliminates mental errors, busted coverages, poor technique and late reactions. They’re not recognizing tendencies, and alignments, and postures that give away the intentions of the opposing player. That’s not just “instincts”, that can be taught/learned.

Advertisement
Great stuff, Lance. I love these because we get to see game to game who is bringin it and who aint. Alot of posters were shocked that Ousmre (sp?) was benched (I was too) and your breakdown shows that was absolutely the right call to make.

Based off your breakdown, do you see any other players that are in danger of losing their jobs if they dont perform better? (besides Ivey)

Reason I am asking is because the board wants Bolden to replace Carter, Brooks to replace Jennings, Miller to replace Ford and Keontra Smith to take over the Striker reps...Thoughts?

" . . . won convincingly against a well-coached team. Yet it still felt like a marginal performance . . . "

Yup. We're all still expecting a little bit more of the old days . . . That's okay . . . Better to expect special than not . . . Great potential - next game will tell a lot more . . .
Great job, Lance, as usual . . .

Advertisement
I want to crack a brew with @Lance Roffers @LuCane

and watch film.

I wish we had copies of the ALL-22 film.

Watching games on that for the experience is great. I hate not seeing the corners and safeties that well on live TV.
Ha. That might turn into a nerdy *** football discussion really quick, but it sounds like a great time. Like both of you, I prefer the endzone camera view.

Based on the game recap, we should have gone after the DC for UAB : what is frustrating is our linebacker play is just so awful; when both Manny and Blake coach this group. Hated to see Barrow leave, he actually played the position at a high level:
Can you imagine the outcry, "Another G5 never-been"!

@Lance Roffers I absolutely look forward to your reviews. My only request is could you use prominent colors for the area highlights for those of us that have a hard time seeing the circles on our phones! Thanks again for all that work, I learn a lot from seeing it through your view.

Advertisement
Great write up Lance. What stood out is how disciplined UAB defense is compared to our defense littered with 4 and 5*. See ball get ball is their style. Our guys just seem to always be 3 steps late. Overthinking perhaps?

Great write up Lance. What stood out is how disciplined UAB defense is compared to our defense littered with 4 and 5*. See ball get ball is their style. Our guys just seem to always be 3 steps late. Overthinking perhaps?
It's quite the opposite. They're actually running a more complicated scheme. They have a ton of fourth and fifth year players who have been in the system for a while.

Again, i don’t think it’s how relatively “free” the scheme may be, it’s the coaching that eliminates mental errors, busted coverages, poor technique and late reactions. They’re not recognizing tendencies, and alignments, and postures that give away the intentions of the opposing player. That’s not just “instincts”, that can be taught/learned.

It sure looks like we don’t watch film

Advertisement
Back