Upon Further Review (Spring Game)

View as article
I think Mario will do more than improve the roster. He will coach this team better. We have had talent, a bunch of our recent guys are in the league and doing great. They didn't get to conference championship games because the talent was misused... which is why those coaches got fired

But if you still disagree, feel free to name the team you think we aren't head and shoulders better than in division
Thought you’d figure out who from my previous post, apparently not.
UNC
UVA
Pitt
VT

If you’re head and shoulders better than a team, you heat them on talent alone. Miami hasn’t consistently done that in 17 years

Advertisement
Thought you’d figure out who from my previous post, apparently not.
UNC
UVA
Pitt
VT

If you’re head and shoulders better than a team, you heat them on talent alone. Miami hasn’t consistently done that in 17 years
I already said I'd give you UNC....

Pitt and VT have beaten us once each in the last 5 years. We have not necessarily out schemed them considering our coaching was subpar. We literally beat them on talent alone consistently.

Virginia has beaten us twice since 2014. Again, we consistently beat them on talent alone.

North Carolina is the only team in our division that has been giving us consistent issue. Us having mediocre coaching is the only reason why anyone thinks we are equal with the coastal. We have known our coaches were the issue and asked for them to be fired SPECIFICALLY because they struggled with trash ACC Coastal teams. We are more talented than those teams just poorly coached, thats why we fire our coaches even after consistently beating those bums you named.

Last edited:
Outside of unc Clemson and maybe Pitt after losing their best QB since Dan Marino, i don’t see anyone in the ACC better then us, if manny could beat these boys in his terrible schemes you telling Mario is going to struggle after adding all of this talent

It’s the “how” for me

There’s no win or loss record I have pegged. We’ve essentially seen the same team rolled out there for a very long time. Other than a spike during Richts tenure we haven’t seen much as far as foundational progress

The Diaz era was the epitome of the record being irrelevant. Didn’t matter if the team was on a good or a bad streak, the foundation was weak

Are we still playing close games every single week even if we are clearly more talented? Are we making the same awful mistakes week in and week out? Those are the types of things I want to see

I am very optimistic about it though, and an elite QB can allow a team to make a heck of a run
Amen

Advertisement
There is not a team outside of Clemson that is better then us in the ACC
One day yall will pay attention to other teams outside of Florida and realize that even if we have more “pure talent” that doesn’t mean we’re the better team.

We been saying this same **** forever and those same teams push around our “more talented highly rated” players and then we need a late game FG or miracle catch in the rain to beat them.

We are mediocre until proven otherwise, the talent gap between us and other teams isn’t big at all like most fans think so the games can go either way just like every year in the ACC

One worrisome thping: Lance says Garcia isn’t ready.
Why not? Would love to hear more about this.

Advertisement
One worrisome thping: Lance says Garcia isn’t ready.
Why not? Would love to hear more about this.
He is jittery in the pocket. Footwork is all over the place. Right now, he has to see it to throw, rather than much anticipation being present.

Accuracy is scattershot. His processing was slow. This is in a spring game with a bunch of walk-ons rushing him.

To me, he will be a higher variance QB if he has to start games this year, where he will make some wow throws, but miss too many easy throws that keep your offense on schedule.

That said, I have been a bit lower on Garcia than the masses since he has gotten here. I want to see more efficiency and a desire to stay on schedule out of him before I trust him. He's a talent, though.

One day yall will pay attention to other teams outside of Florida and realize that even if we have more “pure talent” that doesn’t mean we’re the better team.

We been saying this same **** forever and those same teams push around our “more talented highly rated” players and then we need a late game FG or miracle catch in the rain to beat them.

We are mediocre until proven otherwise, the talent gap between us and other teams isn’t big at all like most fans think so the games can go either way just like every year in the ACC
I think the general consensus should be that we definitely have more "pure talent" than most ACC teams but yet we aren't the better team because of other things like coaching, resources, strength and conditioning, etc. Our players are better but are not being put in positions to excel due to terrible coaching.

We lost to Georgia Tech 2 of the last 3 meetings. Our last head coach lost to FIU and La Tech. Do we really think we don't have more talent than them? The team struggling is not a reflection of the talent on the roster, its a reflection of our head coach and their staff.

Last edited:
“Vanilla” spring game is what I heard before Enos’ debut. I hope this is not a repeat.
Enos spring game was that abomination in Orlando where we were under center 75% with a Michael parrot at fullback. Trust me this is different

Advertisement
I think the general consensus should be that we definitely have more "pure talent" than most ACC teams but yet we aren't the better team because of other things like coaching, resources, strength and conditioning, etc. Our players are better but are not being put in positions to excel due to terrible coaching.

We lost to Georgia Tech 2 of the last 3 meetings. Our last head coach lost to FIU and La Tech. Do we really think we don't have more talent than them? The team struggling is not a reflection of the talent on the roster, its a reflection of our head coach and their staff.
We for sure do but I don’t think the gap is as wide as it should be for some to question a 8-4 record in the transition year. The staff isn’t miracle workers this **** gonna take time, people need to lower their expectations

Outside of unc Clemson and maybe Pitt after losing their best QB since Dan Marino, i don’t see anyone in the ACC better then us, if manny could beat these boys in his terrible schemes you telling Mario is going to struggle after adding all of this talent

We aren't that much better than these teams whereby we win 8 or 9 out of 10 games on talent, all else equal. I don't think we have that much of a talent advantage, to be honest. We have some glaring holes on defense, and it's all across the front seven, which levels the playing field by a lot. We have no length off the edge, no size on the interior line and one of the worst assembly of UM LBs I can recall since, respectfully, the Glenn Cook era, but even he was anchored by very good athletes. GT and UVA can both exploit our LBs lack of range and lack of speed in coverage. I'm not saying we lose, but I am saying we still need a lot of help before I am saying we certainly win.

We aren't that much better than these teams whereby we win 8 or 9 out of 10 games on talent, all else equal. I don't think we have that much of a talent advantage, to be honest. We have some glaring holes on defense, and it's all across the front seven, which levels the playing field by a lot. We have no length off the edge, no size on the interior line and one of the worst assembly of UM LBs I can recall since, respectfully, the Glenn Cook era, but even he was anchored by very good athletes. GT and UVA can both exploit our LBs lack of range and lack of speed in coverage. I'm not saying we lose, but I am saying we still need a lot of help before I am saying we certainly win.
I hear you and understand what your saying but we had those same defencies and maybe worst last year when we beat it was a touchdown or field goal away from beating these teams and i think we are better this year! Do you disagree?

Advertisement
Enos spring game was that abomination in Orlando where we were under center 75% with a Michael parrot at fullback. Trust me this is different
It was also supposed to bring us into the 21st Century because Richt’s offense was supposedly antiquated.

It’s a spring game so you’re going to get some vanilla, but my take is the OL has already improved, the coaching is vastly improved on OL, the run game is much more diverse, and we have to see it’s because we are so bad on the DL, or if it’s because we have just gotten better blocking and scheme.

I personally believe that DL was shiiiiittt against the run.

i concur with your analysis. thanks, as always, Lance. nice job.

my additional takeaways:

• no, he didn't make every play, but the improvement in both awareness and technique by Ivey shows how he was both poorly coached, and undercoached the last 2 years. i'm rooting like **** for the kid
  • thad franklin has the physical tools to be a beast. he's not (yet). but i hope he gets there. he's an enigma
  • we have incorporated very good discipline and technique of the TE's into our blocking schemes. combine that with their effort, and that alone makes us better at running the ball compared to last year
  • everyone wants to scream about the pass rush and the DE's, but the achilles heel of this DL is that we have no one at the DT spot who can own the A gap a yard into the backfield and take on the double teams to help us be stout against the run. this ain't exactly the days of russell maryland and jerome brown playing the open tackle position in the 40 Slide defense, and man, it shows
  • that TVD could at best be an average version of himself in this game, and still play as well as he did, shows you how good he actually is. the days of having a UM QB play down from their ability, and it means you get kirby freeman going 2 for 18 and laying a ****, are thankfully behind us.
  • james williams is a physical freak. no doubt. but the best safety on the team is avantae

Advertisement
Back