Upon Further Review (Spring Game)

Advertisement
Yes. They get together with their position groups and watch film. Normally on Monday morning.

There is nothing more brutal than your position coach with a clicker clicking back and forth multiple times repeating “WHAT THE F%#K ARE YOU DOING HERE, SON?!?! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!!” as he clicks it back and forth, over and over.

The woooooorrrrsssttt.
Yup. Been there.

Thanks for the info, didn’t know if coaches could do it in this day and age.

Overreactions. I don’t how some of these conclusions have been drawn after the Spring game. Some of which are contradictory to what the coaches have said lol. Does it not matter anymore hearing it from the horse’s mouth …
Typically no, because coaches say the same thing.

Year 1 is a rebuild. No matter what the coaches say.

Advertisement
@Rellyrell if we hit on our portal targets (position wise, not naming names) I’d take the over on 8-4. Messidor is just one guy, but he’s good… if we can get a nice WR who says to himself, I can make myself a lot of money with a dude like TVSD slinging it my way. And a LB who says to himself, I can make myself a lot of money with Charlie Strong as my position coach….. t

@Rellyrell if we hit on our portal targets (position wise, not naming names) I’d take the over on 8-4. Messidor is just one guy, but he’s good… if we can get a nice WR who says to himself, I can make myself a lot of money with a dude like TVSD slinging it my way. And a LB who says to himself, I can make myself a lot of money with Charlie Strong as my position coach….. t

I agree. We saw the dividends of both Rambo & KJ…it’s just crazy, & this is off topic but on topic, but most of our best players have come via the portal/transfers lately (sans Greg R)
-Rambo
-KJ
-Jaelen
-Rochè
-Willis
-Colbert
-King

That’s the other part of the problem

Yes. They get together with their position groups and watch film. Normally on Monday morning.

There is nothing more brutal than your position coach with a clicker clicking back and forth multiple times repeating “WHAT THE F%#K ARE YOU DOING HERE, SON?!?! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!!” as he clicks it back and forth, over and over.

The woooooorrrrsssttt.
Ain’t that the truth. That Monday morning wake up is brutal just knowing there are one or two plays you want bqck.

8-4 (especially where some of you are considering we lose to either a pretty mediocre Pitt at home or a really bad GT team) would be disappointing imo. Not unrealistic, just disappointing.

Advertisement
I agree. We saw the dividends of both Rambo & KJ…it’s just crazy, & this is off topic but on topic, but most of our best players have come via the portal/transfers lately (sans Greg R)
-Rambo
-KJ
-Jaelen
-Rochè
-Willis
-Colbert
-King

That’s the other part of the problem
been saying it for years, something was wrong.. At one point on both sides of ball we had transfers being our top guys.. King, Jaelen, Roche, bubba..

Portal is going to right this ship faster than most of us think. The primary DEs, for example, will be totally different than the guys we saw in the Spring game. I think we see the other holes filled up too.

And don’t forget all the kids who didn’t play. Guys like Chaney, Chase Smith, Stevenson and Brinson. Or true freshmen like Kelly and Bissainthe.

So while I agree the Spring Game guys who played wouldn’t be much better than last year’s team if at all, we’ll field a dramatically better team come September..

Plus coaches are better. Give them another 4-5 months with the players. That will count for something even if it’s intangible right now.

Advertisement
This sounds like an 8-4 at best season. We just don't have depth. We need to pray we stay healthy and that our DL/ Lbs/Wrs improve witj big time portal additions. This rebuild will take time.
8-4 is a failure. This team rn without the transfers we have committed and will have committed is better than every team in the ACC minus Clemson. Need a DT. Have two edge guys coming in that will start UCLA guy and WVU. Need a WR. Not too worried about WR tho we won 9 games with pope and Wiggins. OLine not worried more time with Mario and Coach M will payoff. Only true worry is CB and LB for me.

Last edited:
I can't believe how many people are predicting our record based on a spring game. This is not a measuring stick. This is the most vanilla of all the scrimmages because it's on TV. This game has nothing to do with our upcoming season unless someone got injured and nobody did. Not to mention all the guys who didn't play

There is not a team outside of Clemson that is better then us in the ACC
UVA and Pitt are every bit as good right now, both of those games will be toss ups. Haven’t beat UNC since Brown has been there, plenty of possible loses with the current roster.

8-4, 7-5 very realistic. My hope is to see improvement as the season progresses and continued high level recruiting

Advertisement
You have horribly-coached college football players getting proper coaching for about a few months. Its impossible to expect us to have a good spring game mental-wise.

Especially in the trenches, where we havent taught any fundamentals whatsoever.

They will be better in the fall. They will review this and see the same exact things that Lance has seen and it will be coached up. All that this game showed is how awful we were coached but the current coaching is showing small signs that things are getting better.

UVA and Pitt are every bit as good right now, both of those games will be toss ups. Haven’t beat UNC since Brown has been there, plenty of possible loses with the current roster.

8-4, 7-5 very realistic. My hope is to see improvement as the season progresses and continued high level recruiting
No theyre not.

We own Pitt and UVA is not as good. They never have and never will have the talent we have down here. Point blank period.

Show me another QB in our division who is on TVDs caliber.

Not winning the division would be another embarrassment especially with this staff.

Great write up per usual Lance. This adds an exclamation point to our suspicions and concerns. Our depth and talent at RB, TE, and QB is the best we've seen in a long time. And the coaching prowess has seemingly shown itself immediately with the o line & tackling improvements. But lots of holes are present. Not worried about TVD's performance whatsoever tbh. Receivers collectively had a crap spring game minus Restrepo, didn't realize how bad it was that practically all of them fall down with almost no reason most of the time. We badly need a difference maker from the portal. LB has been discussed AD nauseum so no need to beat a dead horse. The d line is the biggest issue. We've added some depth with Lich, Moultrie, Agude, and now Mesidor(huge get). Still need another DT IMO. Expectations need to be tempered, even with the right portal adds we may be at best 9-3 in year one regular season considering drawing Clemson & TAMU on the road will be rough. What makes me optimistic is its apparent Mario & staff have changed the culture and the team looks more physical, tough, and accountable overall. Once we fill the talent gaps via portal/recruiting it'll be fun to watch our rise back to prominence, just gotta be a bit more patient. Go Canes 🙌

Advertisement
Back