Upon Further Review: Savannah State

View as article
IMO, it honestly looks like some guys are just half-assing it. Maybe it was the opponent...I don't really know.

Advertisement
Great review Lance. You put a lot of time and effort into this review. Question, does the Coaching staff ever contact you to compare notes?

IMO, it honestly looks like some guys are just half-assing it. Maybe it was the opponent...I don't really know.
Got to get that mentality rooted up out of the program that’s how a loss like Pittsburgh happens because players acting as if they were already arrived

Thank you @Lance Roffers Incredible breakdown.

As @simplycanes said, those fans telling other fans to shut up because fans don't know what we're looking at should read this stuff. Malik Rosier could probably benefit from this breakdown as well.

I fully bought in going into this season. I have since dumped all my shares at pennies on the dollar. I'll still be at the games rooting this team and these kids on, but this is, quite simply, not a very good team right now., with not a lot of reason for hope until these coaches change their tune and start playing guys with some upside.

Will it even matter as long as Stacey's mom is our OL coach?

For the longest time I preached patience with Searles because he's responsible for 5 starters and just one missed assignment could make the entire unit look bad. Plus he's stuck with Golden players. But after reading this review I'm starting to sour on him. There were way too many missed assignments. Its hard to expect perfection from THAT unit. But how many times did our LT block the wrong man or flat out miss his assignment? This is against Savannah St. If our line does not even know WHO TO BLOCK.. wtf is going on??

That might be the worst thing I've ever seen.
After all the talk year after year about how the o-line is the weak link, about how poor o-line play is holding the team back and restricts what we can do or achieve on offense, this is the sloppy p!ss-poor effort these 2 upperclassmen give? There's just no sense of pride exhibited, no sense that some of these guys give enough of a **** to want to not only change the narrative, but strive to excel at what they do.

It's not just this play (although, watching live this is one of the plays that stood out to me). I rewatch all of our games, many multiple times, and I try to look at the way the different units/position groups play. Game to game, the sloppiness and the lack of effort from the online is by far the most consistent and maddening reoccurring theme and, as has been illustrated and dissected in the OP, Mahoney and Gauthier (both purported upperclassmen leaders) are 2 of the biggest culprits.

Needless to say, having two players of such poor quality playing right freakin next to each other in the center of your oline is a recipe for disaster and frustration. I really hope the young kids can get up to speed quickly and can start to push some of the underperforming upperclassmen for their spots. With the young guys I see hunger and a physicality that I just don't see with guys like Mahoney and Gauthier. Too many of our olineman play like they're content to just arrive, punch the clock, make it through the day with minimal effort then punch the clock again to go home. Richt and Searles can't keep allowing the type of sloppiness and lack of effort exhibited in that clip to continue unpunished or else that substandard level of play becomes the standard for all of the young kids learning behind them, who, themselves, will later become examples to another generation of o-linemen.

Advertisement
For the longest time I preached patience with Searles because he's responsible for 5 starters and just one missed assignment could make the entire unit look bad. Plus he's stuck with Golden players. But after reading this review I'm starting to sour on him. There were way too many missed assignments. Its hard to expect perfection from THAT unit. But how many times did our LT block the wrong man or flat out miss his assignment? This is against Savannah St. If our line does not even know WHO TO BLOCK.. wtf is going on??

Eggs-actly. I've been one preaching patience on him as well. The oline talent that he inherited was deficient. OLine is the group that takes the longest amount of time to turn things around. Recruiting has been better. It takes time to gel. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Time's up.

Not only has he had enough time to make his mark and find combinations of players that would work. The poor technique, the lack of push, the grabbing, hooking, and holding, the drive killing penalties due both to mental errors and just plain getting beat... they all point to a line group that isn't being coached up with fundamentally sound principles.

To me, this is the #1 head on the chopping block for this coaching staff. I'd say CJR is #1, but I frankly don't care if he stays involved with the program as an "offensive consultant", or "quality control" guy or whatever, as long as we get him out of taking up one of the ten precious on-field coaching jobs so that we can hire an appropriately experienced and qualified QB coach to develop the most important position in today's game... Anyway, Searles just isn't working out. His resume seemed underwhelming to me when he was hired and, aside from blind faith in Mark Richt, I've yet to see anything out of Searles or his position group that says he was a good hire.

It's well past time we simply pony up the money to go buy ourselves established and qualified assistant coaches who would be willing to move to South Florida (from say Michigan St or Wisconsin, just throwing out examples) for a substantial pay raise.

I think it's time to **** can the outside zone. Guards that can't reach block and two two freshman tight ends is a recipe for disaster. I think we need to be inside zone or power team.

Advertisement
The coaches are a little busy to be worrying about what some dude in Missouri thinks.

I did not know you were in Missouri. I thought you were in Gables. Anyway, I hope someone on the staff reads your review. I think it may point out some things they perhaps miss.

Looking at some of these pics of Rosier's mechanics, I have definitely gained a better understanding of why I always get the bothersome feeling that he looks awkward back there...not squaring up and stepping into the target will do that, I guess. It's even more maddening when you see him put it all together correctly, as you can clearly see on the pic of that perfect throw to Thomas. You say it was Malik's best throw this year? ****, that might have been the best throw he's made in his entire career.

I did not know you were in Missouri. I thought you were in Gables. Anyway, I hope someone on the staff reads your review. I think it may point out some things they perhaps miss.

Last year I had some players and former players reach out via DM, which was pretty cool. Had some coaches from other schools ask what I do etc.

For the most part I just do it for fun, but having NFL players say I do good work via Twitter has been the coolest thing of my non-family life.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back