Upon Further Review- Pitt

Advertisement
Going back over the game it really showed the absolute genius and stupidity Mark Whipple can display in a single game. He schemed against the UM DBs he knew his guys could beat. They used motion to get mismatches with Couch against tight ends, James Williams against wideouts and Marcus Clarke against...well, anyone. His game plan in that regard was top notch. He knows who to exploit and how to do it. On the other hand, he made almost no attempt to establish any type of running game even though it was a fairly tight game most of the way. I get that Kenny Pickett is your guy and you ride or die on his arm but Whipple's insistence on running a ton of downfield routes that take a ton of time to develop while not bothering to keep the defensive line honest with more running calls really put his guy behind the 8 ball. Miami was able to generate pressure without having to blitz a ton and if not for Pickett's underrated elusiveness and a bunch of egregious holds that got ignored, we could have been looking at an 8 or 9 sack game instead of just the 4 we got.

Gotta give it up for the old guys on the D line 53 and 13 both played probably their best games of the year. The overall tackling has gotten a lot better too. Pitt ran a ton of underneath stuff betting on breaking tackles but for the most part our guys got them down. Better overall team effort when if the first guy doesn't get the job done, there's three or four more guys coming in to finish the tackle. The only serviceable linebacker we have is Keontra. Flagg is just too slow. Steed at least can play in a reserve roll without embarrassing himself, so WLB is aiiight....but man we have NOBODY at MLB. Corner is in rough shape too. Stevenson is generally solid. He gets beat from time to time but he's a net positive out there. Couch is glue in man coverage but he's so physically weak, he can't challenge anyone on a contested catch. thicker wideouts and tightends can easily shield him away even if he's got great coverage. The rest of the corners shouldn't see the field but it looks like we have no other options so we have to ride with them.

Going back over the game it really showed the absolute genius and stupidity Mark Whipple can display in a single game. He schemed against the UM DBs he knew his guys could beat. They used motion to get mismatches with Couch against tight ends, James Williams against wideouts and Marcus Clarke against...well, anyone. His game plan in that regard was top notch. He knows who to exploit and how to do it. On the other hand, he made almost no attempt to establish any type of running game even though it was a fairly tight game most of the way. I get that Kenny Pickett is your guy and you ride or die on his arm but Whipple's insistence on running a ton of downfield routes that take a ton of time to develop while not bothering to keep the defensive line honest with more running calls really put his guy behind the 8 ball. Miami was able to generate pressure without having to blitz a ton and if not for Pickett's underrated elusiveness and a bunch of egregious holds that got ignored, we could have been looking at an 8 or 9 sack game instead of just the 4 we got.

Gotta give it up for the old guys on the D line 53 and 13 both played probably their best games of the year. The overall tackling has gotten a lot better too. Pitt ran a ton of underneath stuff betting on breaking tackles but for the most part our guys got them down. Better overall team effort when if the first guy doesn't get the job done, there's three or four more guys coming in to finish the tackle. The only serviceable linebacker we have is Keontra. Flagg is just too slow. Steed at least can play in a reserve roll without embarrassing himself, so WLB is aiiight....but man we have NOBODY at MLB. Corner is in rough shape too. Stevenson is generally solid. He gets beat from time to time but he's a net positive out there. Couch is glue in man coverage but he's so physically weak, he can't challenge anyone on a contested catch. thicker wideouts and tightends can easily shield him away even if he's got great coverage. The rest of the corners shouldn't see the field but it looks like we have no other options so we have to ride with them.
he called and Pitt ran the mesh concepts perfectly. in fact, everyone has done that on miami this year successfully. but for 5-7 dropped passes that were catchable, opponents would have scored a ton more on us.

Outside of Stevenson the corner play has been brutal. Stevenson does get beat a couple of times every game and while he might not be that lockdown 1st round NFL corner, he's been an absolute godsend for us. I shudder to think what our corner play would be like if he hadn't transferred here. Maybe he gets a 3rd round grade and decides to come back for one more year, but that's wishful thinking. He wanted to prove he can play CB and will only have 1 year of tape at the position full-time, maybe he can be convinced to get more experience. Our potential CB's for next year:

- Al Blades: He hasn't played in so long I'm not sure what to make of him, but I'm assuming he'll be back for his 5th year. At this point he might just be for depth, with the hope that he gets healthy and has a great offseason to possibly challenge for the #2 CB spot in a best case scenario.

- DJ Ivey: Grad transfer candidate, if he comes back for his 5th year I hope it's for depth because if he's playing major minutes again next season we're in trouble.

- Malik Curtis: No clue how he will develop. Has he gotten any snaps this season? Needed this year to hit the weight room and learn, but still a question mark going into next season.

- Te'Cory Couch: Ouch. Seems to have regressed badly. Another big question mark for next season. Is this year a fluke, just some confidence issues? One thing that won't change is his size. Still, my expectation is that he will play a bunch next season.

- Marcus Clarke: Had a rough game against Pitt. I'm not going to make judgements quite yet as these past few games have been his first real shot at major playing time. Just a R-Fr, so I hope he gains valuable experience this season and can be a solid contributor next year, with upside to be the #2 CB.

- Isaiah Dunson: Transfer portal candidate. He got one shot at CB and right afterwards they moved him to the safety room. He will not get ANY minutes with Kam/JW0/Avantae/Balom in front of him.

Recruits:
- Khaumari Rogers: If he sticks, he is still coming off a torn ACL and he really needs the weight room anyways. I would be surprised if he got much run next season, likely redshirt candidate IMO.

- Chris Graves: If he sticks (sensing a pattern here), might have the best shot at playing. A bit raw as he's played mostly WR, but his size/length/speed is intriguing. Might not have a choice but to play him considering the quality of the CB room.

We need AT LEAST one more CB in the recruiting class, especially since Khaumari's ACL injury. Losing Fegans really hurts because I think he would have been the most "ready" to play right away considering his size and experience playing mostly CB in High School. Singletary seems like the longest of long shots, we should keep in touch with Jacolby Spells. Promise any HS CB that they will have a chance at big-time minutes right away, which isn't a stretch.

Even if Tyrique comes back, a portal CB has to be either the #1 or #2 priority, an absolute MUST get position. Looking at all the above, the situation is bleak. Also need to consider that IF Manny is retained, he has no choice but to hire a dedicated DC. And what that DC wants in terms of his DB coaches, play style, recruits, etc. will be a mystery.

Advertisement
he called and Pitt ran the mesh concepts perfectly. in fact, everyone has done that on miami this year successfully. but for 5-7 dropped passes that were catchable, opponents would have scored a ton more on us.
The mesh works so well because we vacate the middle of the field so often and play man behind it. Just run your DB into the guy covering your teammate and someone is getting open.

Nice work @Lance Roffers

My observation on his action in the pocket:

As you know, one of the big myths about playing in the pocket is that you throw "over D-linemen"

Of course, that's not really true. Throws are made through passing lanes. If you were just throwing "over" guys, then you couldn't play QB unless you were seven and a half feet tall. So, in my view, one of the parts of the learning curve as you move up to this level, is that passing lanes have different dimensions than thy do in high school. bodies are bigger, wider, lanes move and open and close with a different pace/speed and geometry. DL are faster. Your linemen are bigger/wider. protections are different.

it's disorienting a bit, and can be unfamiliar, which is why a QB in TVD's shoes may drop eyes more quickly than he should. it looks off to him. (not to mention that the rush conger to him pretty quickly inside as we have had inconsistent pass pro, but that's another story). it's why his athletic instinct to bail, and choose to break contain, shows up more often than properly sliding up and over. understanding that dynamic of how the pocket looks and behaves differently is just another part of the learning process.

he'll learn, get better. of that I have no doubt.

he's a kid in QB diapers at this level, and yet,.... you said it: he's consistently making NFL throws (with head and arm) in a way that show you he's no fluke. all the while doing it on a team that's not exactly the 1992 Dallas Cowboys.

if I'm his QB coach, I would know what I've got here, and couldn't wait to get to work in the morning.

Mallory’s porous blocking would be enough for me to cut his snaps in half.

He can be a solid receiving TE when he’s focused, but his lack of physicality & lack of effort in blocking is cost worthy on drives. The sack on TVD in the 3rd quarter vs Maldonado was specifically because of him & was really really bad.

He consistently gets tossed & shredded on those Bubble screens by CB’s & Safeties routinely. It’s actually a surprise our guys get 7-10 yard+ gains on those screens when Mallory usually fcks up his assignment & barely even gets an arm on his man.
That’s why I was psyched Arroyo caught the 1st TD. Figured his time was now. I was wrong. ***

Advertisement
McCloud seems to get more sh*t here the better plays. He's not at LB anymore and he's not gonna be Rousseau at DE but he's been solid. Leave him alone, d*cks.
He’s been much better than 13
We took the wrong sec de transfer

Outside of Stevenson the corner play has been brutal. Stevenson does get beat a couple of times every game and while he might not be that lockdown 1st round NFL corner, he's been an absolute godsend for us. I shudder to think what our corner play would be like if he hadn't transferred here. Maybe he gets a 3rd round grade and decides to come back for one more year, but that's wishful thinking. He wanted to prove he can play CB and will only have 1 year of tape at the position full-time, maybe he can be convinced to get more experience. Our potential CB's for next year:

- Al Blades: He hasn't played in so long I'm not sure what to make of him, but I'm assuming he'll be back for his 5th year. At this point he might just be for depth, with the hope that he gets healthy and has a great offseason to possibly challenge for the #2 CB spot in a best case scenario.

- DJ Ivey: Grad transfer candidate, if he comes back for his 5th year I hope it's for depth because if he's playing major minutes again next season we're in trouble.

- Malik Curtis: No clue how he will develop. Has he gotten any snaps this season? Needed this year to hit the weight room and learn, but still a question mark going into next season.

- Te'Cory Couch: Ouch. Seems to have regressed badly. Another big question mark for next season. Is this year a fluke, just some confidence issues? One thing that won't change is his size. Still, my expectation is that he will play a bunch next season.

- Marcus Clarke: Had a rough game against Pitt. I'm not going to make judgements quite yet as these past few games have been his first real shot at major playing time. Just a R-Fr, so I hope he gains valuable experience this season and can be a solid contributor next year, with upside to be the #2 CB.

- Isaiah Dunson: Transfer portal candidate. He got one shot at CB and right afterwards they moved him to the safety room. He will not get ANY minutes with Kam/JW0/Avantae/Balom in front of him.

Recruits:
- Khaumari Rogers: If he sticks, he is still coming off a torn ACL and he really needs the weight room anyways. I would be surprised if he got much run next season, likely redshirt candidate IMO.

- Chris Graves: If he sticks (sensing a pattern here), might have the best shot at playing. A bit raw as he's played mostly WR, but his size/length/speed is intriguing. Might not have a choice but to play him considering the quality of the CB room.

We need AT LEAST one more CB in the recruiting class, especially since Khaumari's ACL injury. Losing Fegans really hurts because I think he would have been the most "ready" to play right away considering his size and experience playing mostly CB in High School. Singletary seems like the longest of long shots, we should keep in touch with Jacolby Spells. Promise any HS CB that they will have a chance at big-time minutes right away, which isn't a stretch.

Even if Tyrique comes back, a portal CB has to be either the #1 or #2 priority, an absolute MUST get position. Looking at all the above, the situation is bleak. Also need to consider that IF Manny is retained, he has no choice but to hire a dedicated DC. And what that DC wants in terms of his DB coaches, play style, recruits, etc. will be a mystery.
Yea man agree 10000%
But the dt room next year could be crazy thin and even worse
There’s a chance we lose ford milller nesta and jhh leaving only Taylor and hayes

Advertisement
Mallory’s porous blocking would be enough for me to cut his snaps in half.

He can be a solid receiving TE when he’s focused, but his lack of physicality & lack of effort in blocking is cost worthy on drives. The sack on TVD in the 3rd quarter vs Maldonado was specifically because of him & was really really bad.

He consistently gets tossed & shredded on those Bubble screens by CB’s & Safeties routinely. It’s actually a surprise our guys get 7-10 yard+ gains on those screens when Mallory usually fcks up his assignment & barely even gets an arm on his man.

I like Mallory as a receiver. But even there I honestly believe we're wasting a SPECIAL talent in Arroyo. He's a rich man's Bevin IMO. Split TE reps now. Maybe add some more 2 TE sets if you want to give Mallory more opportunities. But get Arroyo in the game!

I see everyone on here killing Couch lol....ya'll do realize buddy has been the walking dead for 2-3 weeks right? That same non-Covid illness that got hold of the locker room a few weeks back has him in its grips now. Only reason he is playing because of the aforementioned Blades being out and lack of bodies back there. Tryna to soldier thru illness cant be fun....

I see everyone on here killing Couch lol....ya'll do realize buddy has been the walking dead for 2-3 weeks right? That same non-Covid illness that got hold of the locker room a few weeks back has him in its grips now. Only reason he is playing because of the aforementioned Blades being out and lack of bodies back there. Tryna to soldier thru illness cant be fun....

Big respect to Couch for giving it his all out there when he’s sick.

When I have a cold my wife will tell you I’m on the couch.

Advertisement

This just shows how ****** Manny was at CB recruiting. There should be people behind Couch to let him rest and get back to 100%, but instead we got Clarke, Ivey and, Dunson as the backups.

For the second week in a row, Miami pulled off a win over top-20 opponent; this time on the road. How did they do it? Find out with me here at Upon Further Review.

Watching live I was a little annoyed that McCloud didn’t sack Pickett here, but on the replay I see why. That’s the nasty I want to see from Miami’s OL looking for work.
View attachment 159712

Couch tries to undercut a crossing route and loses out to a freshman TE. Couch gets bodied so often it is difficult to play him on TE’s or bigger receivers (not pictured)

RT tries a deep set on McCloud and doesn’t engage so McCloud just bull rushes him back into the QB. McCloud isn’t Phillips or Rousseau, but he has impressed me at DE for a player who has never played there previously. Leonard Taylor and JHH X-stunt and Taylor flushes him into McCloud. Marcus Clarke makes a VERY late change to the coverage and has to be calling out routes as the play is actually happening to make sure they take the crosser. Lucky that didn’t bite them.
View attachment 159713

Frierson tries to jump the route then panics when receiver catches it. Lets this receiver get to the 20-yard line after James Williams also misses a tackle trying to go high. Flagg tries to throw him down and throws him forward. If he didn’t step out-of-bounds, this might have been a TD.
View attachment 159714

Kam Kinchens makes an excellent play on the ball on a receiver at the goal line and knocks the ball free. I truly cannot even begin to imagine in what universe that is a catch, but here we are.

#2 is literally clapping his hands here in frustration because he knows it was incomplete. #2 literally looked shocked and then got excited, like “no way, you called that a catch and a TD? Awesome!” When the opposing team is showing frustration and mad about the receiver not catching it, you already know the truth. Any Pitt fan who complains about the officiating in this game, you just refer them here.
View attachment 159715

TVD has been great the last couple of games, but there is no denying he drops his eyes to look at the rush and bails out of the back of the pocket too often. The next step in his progression will be to learn to slide in the pocket as Navaughn is pushing the stunt away from TVD and he could’ve stepped up and to his right. TVD gets sacked inside the 10.
View attachment 159716

This is a throw that is quite a bit more difficult than it looks. TVD is throwing this ball out before the receiver comes out of his break, it is to the far hash and needs pace. He makes throws that are NFL throws on a weekly basis.
View attachment 159717

Two things on this throw: 1. The slot defender nearly knocks Keyshawn down on this route, which really throws off the timing. I thought originally that the throw was a touch too far and flat, but when you see that the WR almost fell down, it is really a perfect throw. 2. TVD has his shoulders to really sell this throw. He looks like he’s going to throw this ball to Harley, but instead rips it down the seam. This is kind of a neat variation of Smash (my favorite) and it looks like Smash at this point, but instead of going to the corner route, Keyshawn continues down the seam. That outside defender expected it to be a corner route in Smash, but the variation made this a big play. 3. Bonus: this is the kind of aggression you need from a QB. That throw to Harley is open and what the defense wants you to take. They want to rally up and tackle Harley short, but TVD is going to go for the big play and hits it.
View attachment 159718

Run Smash to the bottom of the screen with Keyshawn running the Whip and Harley the Corner. Arroyo is the outside TE who releases outside of the overhang defender. Mallory threatens the seam and draws attention. Arroyo runs a skinny post underneath of Mallory and Pitt doesn’t pass it off. Wide-open TD. Look at the OL, completely stoning the Pitt pass rushers and giving a clean pocket.
View attachment 159719

Yeah…this is textbook holding call. He drags him down from behind like this. Not called.
View attachment 159720

Deandre Johnson mugged, not called. Deep pass almost completed over Amari. (Not pictured)

I am surprised that Flagg didn’t get flagged for this. He stood over a guy after hurting him and yelled at him while signaling incomplete. Another display of just how dumb this team can be at times. Carter made an excellent play on this one, as he knocked the ball out of the defenders hands when he was trying to bring it in. I thought it was Flagg that dislodged it, but it was Carter prior to Flagg even hitting him.
View attachment 159721

After the 4th stop on an excellent play by Stevenson (that was almost caught on the ricochet by Pitt), the officials call an absolutely atrocious personal foul penalty on 96 when a little Pitt player flops. Any Pitt fan who complains about officials has zero argument in this game. (Not pictured)

Restrepo is my guy. He is so tough and smart as a football player. He completely turns this DB outside here and allows the receiver to pick up 8. Look at his form versus the leaning and nudging form of Mallory, who never even extends his arms.
View attachment 159722

Love this view of the play as it shows how everyone has a job on every play. Corner to bottom of screen holds deep safety. RB looks like the ball is coming to him to hold the guy who is supposed to take Mallory. Subtle look to RB by TVD to hold eyes away from Mallory until late. Mallory varied his speed to make it look like he was blocking. OL gives time again. TD.
View attachment 159723

Steed does a nice job avoiding the G who tries to get to second level and stops the delayed handoff. He’s been playing better. (Not pictured)

Drop Harvey into coverage in the boundary flat, send Frierson on an overload blitz who comes free for the sack. But Steed getting depth where he’s supposed to be and getting eyes on Pickett stopped the pickup. Flagg recognizes the crosser quickly and shuts it down. Credit where due, the LB’s had a nice series here.
View attachment 159724

This is such a natural run by Knighton. If you hear people say, “he’s a natural runner” this is what they’re talking about. Knighton is slashing towards Zion, who is pulling as a lead, away from the free edge defender, as he does so, he causes the MLB to commit to the outside run and makes him attack the C gap instead of staying in the A. If Knighton rushes right into the A-gap here and doesn’t press the outside, he either gets tackled in the backfield by 6, or the MLB stays in the A-gap and it’s a minimal gain. Instead, he houses this ball.
View attachment 159725

Bradley Jennings gets pressure before the QB can throw it and forces him to throw it away. (Not pictured)

I’ll often write about how I believe Miami should “match” more often and here is another example of where I wish they would. They motion the outside guy inside here and Stevenson follows him, leaving James Williams on a shifty slot guy with tons of space. I wish Stevenson would bump the receiver here and then release onto the slot, as the rules change here. The #1 outside, becomes the #2 (who Williams would typically cover here) and the 2 becomes the 1. Miami should “match” this and have their #1 take the new #1 and leave their #2 on the new #2. This Whip route is open by like six yards on this throw. He makes Williams miss and this goes for big yards.
View attachment 159726

Couch falls for the eye candy here. Couch is in off-coverage with eyes on QB, but you can’t just keep running and lose sight of your WR. Pickett comes off the deep ball and hits this easy underneath throw that Couch isn’t in your screen on when the WR catches it.
View attachment 159727

Blitz Frierson again who comes clean. For some reason he runs straight at the QB instead of outside-in and Pickett gets outside of him. Thankfully he dirts the throw. (Not pictured)

Natural vision again. Knighton presses into his hole, then cuts around Scaife who puts his defender on the ground and then gets upfield for a quick 15. Knighton is better than I gave him credit for before Harris’ injury.
View attachment 159728

This is truly an excellent throw. TVD is sprinting to his right and throwing off-platform. Restrepo is not even out of his break and catches this ball at the sideline. Excellent play on both sides when TVD knew he had a free play from the offsides.
View attachment 159729

Motion Keyshawn into a stack behind Restrepo and run an RPO slant behind it with Restrepo clearing space and it’s a big play. Unfortunately, Donaldson got a little too far downfield at the throw and it comes back. Donaldson has to pause for one second before releasing on that play, but it’s the difficult with an RPO on keeping OL home. (Not pictured)

Get an unsportsmanlike penalty to move us downfield and then Donaldson holds. He’s having a rough drive. (Not pictured)

Pitt gets a huge play, but this is a false start that wasn’t called.
View attachment 159730

Bring your legs, lead with your shoulder, clear your head, wrap up, drive through the ball carrier. This is your true freshman Kinchens with the teaching tape, yet they ran Gurvan and Carter and Bolden out there for weeks.
View attachment 159731

Steed and Couch have the angle on a little dumpoff to the RB and he runs right by them for a TD down the sideline. Before that, Steed has to pass the TE off quicker, he’s calling it out here, but then Steed has to take the RB and he is either late or just loses his assignment.
View attachment 159732

I’ve got an irrational love for Restrepo. He’s just tough, quick, energetic, and makes plays. Here he is again winning his block on the edge and allowing Rambo to get the sideline. Rambo picks up a 1st down.
View attachment 159733

Pitt gets a warranted roughing the passer penalty, then a not-so-warranted roughing the passer penalty to move Miami 30 yards. (Not pictured)

RPO and TVD throws a strike to Rambo, who drops a walk-in TD. (Not pictured)

TVD missed this one. Mallory has his head around and is open if TVD flattens this throw and has some pace on it. He floats this ball out of the back of the end zone for some reason. That’s one of the great things about the spot they’re in with TVD. He has played excellent football and there is still so much meat on the bone as far as pocket awareness, throwing with pace/touch, understanding game situations etc.
View attachment 159734

Miami kicks a FG on a drive they absolutely should’ve had a TD. (Not pictured)

On the Stevenson interception it’s Crosser to the interception side, with a deep route to the field side. That deep route is a pre-snap read generally and Miami had the MOF closed with a single-high safety, so the QB with normally come off that read quickly. Luckily, Pickett did because the CB slipped and the single-high S cheated towards Smash corner route and that would’ve been a TD.
View attachment 159735

Play-Action with a bubble/slant combo. Pitt jumps the bubble and Rambo catches a Slant in stride to get to the 2-yard line. (Not pictured)

You really have to find a way to get more speed at MLB. Pickett just runs away from your unblocked MLB here. Flagg never touched him. Even in pursuit as Pickett picks this up.
View attachment 159736

I give Ragone a lot of credit here, this is a big play in the game. Ragone covers the RB here (though the QB could’ve thrown it), then comes off this and makes a square-up tackle in space to get him down. You saw Flagg just a few plays ago completely whiff on a play like this.
View attachment 159737

Amari Carter gets just enough of the RB on 3rd down to get him down. It was truly a toenail tackle. (Not pictured)

At some point, it’s on the coaches and not on Mallory. They lined him up on the end and asked him to block Pitt’s DE 1-on-1 and that is just not going to work. Sack. (Not pictured)

Couch misses a tackle as the gunner on a punt, McCloud misses a tackle on the return. Big return. (Not pictured)

If Pickett saw #28 in coverage he was going at him. Hits his big WR on a slant. Clarke throws his hands up ticked off about something, but they blitzed the LB’s so he had no inside help on the slant and he has to know that. (Not pictured)

Most egregious non-call of the game here. Harvey whips their LT inside and he pulls the jersey so hard it pops his shoulder pads out. How this is not called is beyond me. This has to be called 100% of the time. Completes it on Clarke again.
View attachment 159738

I respect Carter and appreciate what he has done here, but this is the sort of thing we have seen all year from him. You cannot let this QB get outside of you and throw a TD. He’s free for the sack and never touches him. TD goes to the guy Clarke was on.
View attachment 159739

Flagg on the crosser- a quick WR- is a bad idea, but it doesn’t help when the WR on the rub route is literally holding him as well. Again, you see a Pitt fan whining about the officiating costing them this game, you send them this link.
View attachment 159740

Couch gets roasted on a seam route and never finds the ball in the air. Pitt is playing the “where is the CB opposite Stevenson” offense. (Not pictured)

Whoever is Miami’s special teams coach is needs to go (*cough* Patke *cough*). Miami consistently returns those satellite kicks from the 1-yard line and get tackled at the 18 or whatever. Fair catch the ball. Get it at the 25. There are “Hidden Yards” throughout every single game and Miami loses them every week. (Not pictured)

Knighton just took an unblocked Pitt LB’s soul. He drop footed him to the outside and the guy fell over like he’d been shot. Picks up 8 on 1st down instead of a loss. He has transformed the offense, honestly. (Not pictured)

I did not appreciate this pass live during the game, but wow. Smith comes underneath inside WR on this ball and catches it on the 0 of the 40. The anticipation and quick release to get this pass off is next level. I say it again for impact, this was an outstanding throw.
View attachment 159741

Rambo gets tackled on a deep throw and it’s an easy pass interference. I don’t think anyone is disputing that one. (Not pictured)

One of the big differences in this game that made the offense look so much better is how often they made the first defender miss. On most plays that were swing passes, screens, check downs, Miami made that first defender miss. Against Alabama, Miami had almost zero broken tackles, but against Pitt they stayed on schedule with them. Knighton makes a guy miss on a dump off and picks up 7 instead of a loss of 1. (Not pictured)

This is probably the throw that rivals the throw to Keyshawn above (same drive TVD’s two best throws after Pitt tied it, that says a whole lot to me). You see Keyshawn at the yellow line, but there is a defender off-screen coming downhill. With pressure in his face, without an ability to step into it, he throws off-platform, over the defender, into an area only his man will get it. Keyshawn adjusts his route to the ball (he gets a lot of credit here as well) and snatches it. Man’s game yitch.
View attachment 159742

Huff gets an unsportsmanlike penalty on the kickoff and gives them great field position. Let’s go, Huff. (Not pictured)

Pitt flipped their LT to RT because he was struggling and McCloud greets him with a huge sack (while being held I might add). (Not pictured)

Very next play had me so frustrated. Pitt goes to a simple tackle-lead play, McCloud gets moved out by 77, Flagg gets out of his gap and gives up contain, force player takes too upfield of an angle. It picks up a 2nd & 23. Cannot happen. Flagg is a hoover for blocks. (Not pictured)

Look at your true freshman S reading this pass to Pickett and jumping it immediately. Love me some Kinchens. FG.
View attachment 159743

There are some big plays from here, but no more scoring and Miami hangs on for the win.

Overall
  • Donaldson struggled mightily in this game and had several drive changing plays that he gave up or penalties
  • Kinchens/Williams should be your safeties as long as they are in school
  • TVD throws off-platform, in the face of pressure, in big moments, you name it
  • Lashlee improved in this game, but a lot of the second half was sort of meh and trying not to lose. Anticipate their counters and be more ready to roll.
  • The CB opposite Stevenson was eaten alive all game. Marcus Slarke was unplayable in this game and Couch just got bodied repeatedly. The best second CB in this game was Ivey.
  • Flagg is just too slow. You’ve got to make a change there, even if it’s TAC, or moving Chase Smith there. Some like the idea of Carter there, but he doesn’t tackle well enough for me to use him in that spot.
  • Missed Nesta’s motor and physicality in this game
  • Headley had probably his worst game at Miami, but got away with several shanks that had decent roll
  • Steed played a steady game
  • Harvey was good and should’ve drawn several holding penalties in this one
  • Everyone has seen the non-safety a bunch of times and didn’t need me breaking it down, but I will say I need Knighton to work to lean to get that ball out without question next time. Better yet, skip the inside-zone dive in that spot and either sneak it with TVD or run something else.
  • I thought Miami was going to lose when Pitt tied it up, but they closed out the game with the ball and that means something. Give Manny quite a bit of credit for keeping the players engaged and playing hard. Take a lot of credit from Manny for being stubborn with the upperclassmen and then saying silly things like “you take a win away from your record for every freshman you start.”
  • Play the kids
Awesome job lance!

This just shows how ****** Manny was at CB recruiting. There should be people behind Couch to let him rest and get back to 100%, but instead we got Clarke, Ivey and, Dunson as the backups.
The big argument for Manny is that he is not and X’s and O’s creative guru, but if he “can recruit like Dabo, then just play the CEO role” he can be successful here.

Well every position on the defence is alarming devoid of depth and/or talent, except safety.
Oline could be a mess, running back may or may not be thin.

It’s concerning for next year.

“you take a win away from your record for every freshman you start.”

OMFG get this cat out of here ASAP. Man that's just stupid talk. How could a coach say this and then look in the eyes of the amazing freshman playing so well right now.

I'm done

bail abandon thread GIF

Advertisement
Back