Upon Further Review- North Carolina

Great job as always. Felt the same "pain" as I did when the clock hit 0:00.
Teams, coaches and players win/lose games.
But, where are the multiple sets with schemes that create mismatches and wide open targets?
Special teams need to clean their **** up.
Still, we had both games with 4 minutes to play. ****!

Advertisement
I have 4 observations. 1) what kind of coaching staff do we have? Do they suck, or do we have stupid players? 2) Your observations are spot on, particularly 3) I've watched UM DE's for years immediately crash inside the OT and give up the edge, and 4) when you opponent needs 17 yards, put your heels on the 17 yard mark, read and react up.

Asking Finley to cover quick slot receivers is Down Syndrome. He’s an excellent player, but putting him in a position to fail is on the coaches. He should take Shaq’s spot on passing downs and another CB should be used to cover slot receivers.
Couldn't agree more here

UNC was better than expected. Talent cavernous was comment was based on recruiting numbers/athleticism and fact I have only five players starting for Miami and only 10 out of 44 on two-deep, but I get the actual game looking like the talent gap was less.

I’ll retract the statement if it’s distracting from anything in the write-up.

Dude, stick to your guns. You aren't confusing anyone. I 💯 believe that our talent is uneven, and overestimated, but not against the likes of UNC. They had a converted QB at LB getting serious burn. They had few skill position guys who could truly match us athletically. Are we Alabama? No. Should we beat a team like UNC 31 to 10? Yeah. 80% of the time.

Advertisement
At the end of the day after 0-2 start, the main issue is that we have been out coached in 8 quarters.

Dude, stick to your guns. You aren't confusing anyone. I 💯 agree that our talent is uneven, and overestimated, but not against the likes of UNC. They had a converted QB at LB getting serious burn. They had few skill position guys who could truly match us athletically. Are we Alabama? No. Should we beat a team like UNC 31 to 10? Yeah. 80% of the time.

Walk me through why Miami's squad has such a talent advantage, the score should be 31-10 every 8/10 matchups.

Not arguing with you...just walk me through the thought...

please use small words for me to get it. haha!

Advertisement
Walk me through why Miami's squad has such a talent advantage, the score should be 31-10 every 8/10 matchups.

Not arguing with you...just walk me through the thought...

please use small words for me to get it. haha!

When our head wasn't stuck in our own asses, we went on a 22 to 3 run.

When our head wasn't stuck in our own asses, we went on a 22 to 3 run.

Tarheels would counter with, "when our head wasn't stuck up our asses, we scored 17 straight on those Canes...."

so again, whats the thought on why our Canes are that much more talented?

what measureables (besides questionable HS star rankings) do we base it on?

Tarheels would counter with, "when our head wasn't stuck up our asses, we scored 17 straight on those Canes...."

so again, whats the thought on why our Canes are that much more talented?

what measureables (besides questionable HS star rankings) do we base it on?

Not based on star rankings, based on output.

Despite their lead at the half, the Tarheels had one first down.... One.

All of their success came on plays where Miami made a critical and identifiable mistake(s). That's not a team with a lead because they're playing dominant football.

I have 4 observations. 1) what kind of coaching staff do we have? Do they suck, or do we have stupid players? 2) Your observations are spot on, particularly 3) I've watched UM DE's for years immediately crash inside the OT and give up the edge, and 4) when you opponent needs 17 yards, put your heels on the 17 yard mark, read and react up.

Let's face it, these are the plays which an opposing freshman QB reading his first option exploited with ease....

.. a good, experienced QB would have torn us a new one. ... 4th and 17 would be just one of many debacle plays we would be crying about

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just don't understand why we need to blitz so much, and such exotic blitzes, if you have a young defense keep it simple. We don't disguise our blitzes, we usually wind up with players running into each other, slow developing and we don't cover up for our blitzes. Would be nice if we were just sound on defense, and let our athletes just play.

Just don't understand why we need to blitz so much, and such exotic blitzes, if you have a young defense keep it simple. We don't disguise our blitzes, we usually wind up with players running into each other, slow developing and we don't cover up for our blitzes. Would be nice if we were just sound on defense, and let our athletes just play.

I think you basically just described the old Randy Shannon defense. Which works, if your front four is decent.

Advertisement
Quiet? You're being too nice, Hall has been bad bro. There's times where he takes wrong pursuit angles, too timid in his movement skills, and not trusting what he's seeing in front of him. That's the truth. He'll get better with more experience but he has been underwhelming so far. I expected better out of him.

So did I

Asking Finley to cover quick slot receivers is Down Syndrome. He’s an excellent player, but putting him in a position to fail is on the coaches. He should take Shaq’s spot on passing downs and another CB should be used to cover slot receivers.

Thank you! Such a simple fix.

Hopefully they have someone on staff like Lance. But I fear there's a bunch of yes men who sit back and don't say ****. Coordinators make too much money for these results. Period.

Great work...

This is unconscionable, IMO. The foundation Manny built has eroded and these student-athletes deserve better after helping him to become a head coach. The tackling, play-calling, and preparation are unacceptable. The defensive scheme needs to be simplified so kids can play fast and master basic concepts. I hope the issues will be acknowledged, owned, and addressed. because we have more talent than most teams on our schedule and coaches shouldn't get in the way these young men's ability to compete.

The only phase of the team showing progress is the one with new coaches. It's early, but Manny is repeating coach Richt's failure to objectively address the leadership of his unit.
One of the best things, if not the best thing I’ve seen you write. This is just really well stated and true, M-P.

Advertisement
Back