Upon Further Review- North Carolina

Don’t cave to these fools on here lance! Your statement was spot on, the talent and athleticism difference was night and day. Just like the coaching gap was cavernous between us and UNC. UNC staff coached circles around our JV staff. Facts! It doesn’t matter if you have better players like we have if you have unqualified **** coaches coaching them.
The biggest mismatch was Phil Longo vs Blake baker and it showed routinely, early on and late. Enos was more than fine vs jay bateman unc dc who is highly regarded though

Advertisement
I was told on this board all summer that I was being crazy for thinking we'd miss the first kid I've ever heard of being a 4X All-Dade player and a 3 year starter here as well as a 4th round NFL pick from our safety group. People actually told me we'd be BETTER. Imagine that.
That’s the problem for us. Every year we’re always “missing” someone from the previous season who helped us lose 6 games. Meanwhile, Clemson has to replace 4 first rounders on the DL and manages to stomp Texas AM. They even had a true freshman DT replacing Christian Wilkins wreaking havoc out there.

Advertisement
I was told on this board all summer that I was being crazy for thinking we'd miss the first kid I've ever heard of being a 4X All-Dade player and a 3 year starter here as well as a 4th round NFL pick from our safety group. People actually told me we'd be BETTER. Imagine that.
Definitely not me. Definitely not in this defense. But, the playcall on that particular play does NOT help. I still can't really get over it. Not a game you lose. 10 chances to win a game and miss them all. Unreal.

If the upside of Manny not calling plays is him not calling timeouts and handling the game clock poorly, might as well go back to being DC.

If the upside of Manny not calling plays is him not calling timeouts and handling the game clock poorly, might as well go back to being DC.
Feel like we had misses on both, so pick one. I'd have called timeout on 4th and 17 - after UNC showed their alignment. This happens in basketball all the time. Sometimes in the NFL, too. There isn't some hidden rule you can't call a consecutive timeout if the OTHER team called it before, right? I've not seen that in the rule book.

Advertisement
Thanks for the write up, Lance.
Coaches lie, players lie, and fans lie, but the tape doesn't lie. Several bad play calls in there (especially on defense), but plenty of poor execution and missed opportunities by the players as well. If the coaches and players are honest with themselves, I expect they know that if they'd just tighten it up a little we'd be 2-0. Hopefully that motivates everyone (coaches and players alike) to step up their game.

This play is defended. Everyone is where they are supposed to be at this point. Shaq has that TE square-in near the sticks and has dropped where he should be. Rousseau has dropped into the hook zone and is spying the QB. LB is dropping to take RB and force the TE to go behind him. For some reason, Shaq just completely vacates his zone and runs towards the TE. When a receiver is running an in or crosser, you don’t run to them, you let their momentum bring them to you. Shaq is clearly uncomfortable in space and he gives up a 1st down here. A very big play in this game due to field position alone.
View attachment 96932

Nice for Shaq to make this same mistake 2 games in a row. We're lucky to have him back. The post office really wanted him but he decided to come back another year.

Manny should have cleaned the whole house on defense like he did with the offense. Instead he is still married to his defense and handed the reigns to a clearly inferior play caller. I don't see him taking over play calling duties and IMO that would just be putting lipstick on a pig anyways. This has a very Golden-esque feel to it in that Manny is loyal to his defensive staff the way Golden was loyal to D'Onofrio.

That’s the problem for us. Every year we’re always “missing” someone from the previous season who helped us lose 6 games. Meanwhile, Clemson has to replace 4 first rounders on the DL and manages to stomp Texas AM. They even had a true freshman DT replacing Christian Wilkins wreaking havoc out there.

Nobody on last year's defense helped us lose 6 games. I see your point, but I'm just saying that I was basically dismissed for having the audacity to suggest the defense would take a step back this year. But even that, to me the defense has played well enough to win both games. The offense played an F- game against UF and probably a B- or C+ game against UNC. They don't make grades for how awful the kicking game has been.

But we're 0-2 because the offense can't score points in the redzone and our kicker might not realize he's actually left-footed. Not because of the defense.

Advertisement
Rough read, the problems on the defensive side of the ball are particularly brutal. Our upperclassmen making such bad mistakes is extremely worrisome.

Finley our beats defender in the run game. He was used and abused like a cheap hooker in coverage in the second half. Frankly, all of our players were. **** poor coverage all night
Asking Finley to cover quick slot receivers is Down Syndrome. He’s an excellent player, but putting him in a position to fail is on the coaches. He should take Shaq’s spot on passing downs and another CB should be used to cover slot receivers.

Advertisement
Definitely not me. Definitely not in this defense. But, the playcall on that particular play does NOT help. I still can't really get over it. Not a game you lose. 10 chances to win a game and miss them all. Unreal.
We need to get the program to the point where we don’t have to rely on 3 year starters in the back end in order to field a good defense. Otherwise, we’ll struggle most years like we are this year.

It’s the top DCs like Venables who seem to be able to plug young guys in and not miss much of a beat.

Thanks for the write up, Lance.
Coaches lie, players lie, and fans lie, but the tape doesn't lie. Several bad play calls in there (especially on defense), but plenty of poor execution and missed opportunities by the players as well. If the coaches and players are honest with themselves, I expect they know that if they'd just tighten it up a little we'd be 2-0. Hopefully that motivates everyone (coaches and players alike) to step up their game.
Look for trends. If poor execution continues then it’s a coaching issue. You’re either coaching it or allowing it. If our defense can only function with a back end loaded with 3 and 4 year starters then we’re doing something very wrong.

Nobody on last year's defense helped us lose 6 games. I see your point, but I'm just saying that I was basically dismissed for having the audacity to suggest the defense would take a step back this year. But even that, to me the defense has played well enough to win both games. The offense played an F- game against UF and probably a B- or C+ game against UNC. They don't make grades for how awful the kicking game has been.

But we're 0-2 because the offense can't score points in the redzone and our kicker might not realize he's actually left-footed. Not because of the defense.
LOL if you don’t think the defense bears a ton of fault for the UNC debacle.

I said the defense would take a step back this year too, but that doesn’t make it acceptable. I said it because I know Shanny relies too much on experience in the back end. Until we get that straightened out, we’ll always be a defense that only performs optimally when it’s loaded with 3 and 4 year starters. Young back end talent always looks lost and slow in this defense.

We had to do everything in our power to lose that game. We did. As @Empirical Cane and I have mentioned ad nauseam, we have a disturbing trend of making enough catastrophic plays to lose close games. That trend didn't start vs. UiF. See GT, UVA, and Duke last year, for further examples.

Advertisement
Back