Upon Further Review- NC State

It does feel like we're maxed out with these coaches. Virginia, UNC, NC State and Pitt -- the very definition of middle-of-the-pack ACC teams -- we should just expect to be 2-2 every year, give or take a W/L. And we're way too talented for that outcome.
Hit the nail on the head. I am really hoping the decision has already been made to relieve Diaz at the end of the season or once we are mathematically eliminated from the coastal. The only way he keeps his job IMO is winning out.

Advertisement
we were gifted this game...
we played about as good as we could have at this point with this staff IMO and still almost lost this one
if not for some crucial drops by state, Manny might already be gonzo...
and we lost one maybe two we should have won. We also beat a ranked team that had everything to play for and get another one Saturday. If we can beat Pitt…things will get interesting.

Sometimes it was hard to watch and not think “is he on the take or what?”
King didn’t run the zone read at Houston, which was shocking when I first heard it. Most kids that are dual threat have been running that since JR High or High school. It reminded me of when I played competitive madden back in the day , it was easy to tell who was actually reading the de and was guessing lol. Dude was guessing on almost all the reads.

When you think about it, we have only been blown out in one game this year. (Bama) This isnt a red rose for Manny but just shows that even though this season has been a major disappointment that these kids have not given up on Manny. The whole "players coach" thing definitely comes into play here. People say Pitt is going to railroad us but they been saying that the last 2 weeks and hasnt happened. The Pitt game will be another close game. Win or lose.

And yes, play the young kids. Youth movement has already started at safety. Time for that to happen at LB. Give TAC a fair shot. Give Huff a fair shot. Its now or never at this point. Steed played really well though.

I wish we had one more year with Nesta. I feel like the light has come on for him and unfortunately we only got him for 5 more games.

Great breakdown!
Settle down Manny, if NCST didn't choke and Taylor didn't drop every wide open pass I dont think you make it to the podium.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
He came back playing like a ****. He jumped off the screen right when he entered at Unc.

As D$ pointed out, most of us thought he was our best LB before the coaches woke up and made him a LB. Kid is going to be the goods for us with more reps. We just desperately need an MLB or to use schemes that run without an MLB.

King didn’t run the zone read at Houston, which was shocking when I first heard it. Most kids that are dual threat have been running that since JR High or High school. It reminded me of when I played competitive madden back in the day , it was easy to tell who was actually reading the de and was guessing lol. Dude was guessing on almost all the reads.
TVD also may not have run the zone read prior to coming to UM. Which, if true, makes me wonder why that part of the offense has come easier for TVD then an obviously bright person like King. Care to hypothesize on this topic? It can‘t be processing speed as King certainly processed other issues very quickly.
Height? Is it easier for TVD to read the d-end because of his size? I can’t find another reason

Advertisement
Briles scheme is more of a gap scheme. (He loves dart) and not a lot reads but more told when to pull it.

TVD also may not have run the zone read prior to coming to UM. Which, if true, makes me wonder why that part of the offense has come easier for TVD then an obviously bright person like King. Care to hypothesize on this topic? It can‘t be processing speed as King certainly processed other issues very quickly.
Height? Is it easier for TVD to read the d-end because of his size? I can’t find another reason
It’s pretty easy to teach with reps. On most of Kings pulls, it felt like he would pull it to try and make a play. But our run game always feels more fluid when he isn’t at QB.

Height won’t affect the ability to read an unblocked defender. King missed a lot of 11 on 11 work for two straight years. His offense under Brile’s at Houston ran similar actions, but there was no decision for the qbs at handoff. That was predetermined.

The thing I keep thinking is that King was trying to force the rbs into the game to keep them happy/engaged. I think he believes in their talent and would just handoff as a default. He hardly ever keeps on the zone read.

Also, teams don’t usually just attack the back against our zone read and make the read easier. They do this weird lingering thing that throws off the timing. He may be pulling the trigger to quickly on the give. The quarterback’s that are zone read masters will ride the running back til that unblocked defensive end is **** near tackling him and pulls it and takes off. Watching King in the Houston offense speed was more important in the handoff. Give it quick and let your man run.

Another thing that is apparent watching him at Houston is Lashlee is not nearly creative enough to take advantage of a quarterback like King’s skill set. Briles turned him into a monster.

We are leading the country in missed tackles. We have the most penalties at the worst times. It doesn't matter how hard the team is playing for you they are poorly coached.
You just want to argue. Tell me where I said he shouldn’t be fired? Not once did I say that. I said the kids are playing hard. If you can’t see that, you need your eyes checked. This entire board had us getting blown out against UNC and NC state. Didn’t happen. Now the board has us getting blown out against Pitt. We will see in 48hrs. I’m betting that won’t happen. I am bigging up the KIDS. Not Manny.

Advertisement
Back