Upon Further Review- Miami vs. Duke (Offense)

View as article
"2nd & 1 and this is one of the things I see on film often with our offense. It is maddening, honestly. Look at the top of the screen. Look how far off they are. That has to be an automatic call to throw the swing pass. That’s a free 1st down. The only chance of that not being a 1-yard pickup is if they drop the ball. Instead we run a dive into an 8-man front. We do pick up the hard earned 1-yard, but that pass to the top of the screen is a missed tackle from a big play and it’s free. The QB just has to be willing to audible to it. "

I'm glad you mentioned it, because that has been driving me nuts for a long time. Throwing that pass isn't even something that we'd have to overhaul the offense to do. Throwing that pass is something we can easily do RIGHT NOW within the confines of the current offense to at least be more successful moving the football.

If I'm the QB and I see the DBs playing that far off, I'm throwing that pass every single time for an easy 7 yards with the potential to become much more with just one missed tackle. Why aren't we doing it? ****, it's something we did very often in 2016, and even last year.

Advertisement
You are the man Lance! Tough to stomach. In spite of how bad the OL is, there are still HUGE opportunities to scheme around it as evidenced in these posts.

“Of the nine games Miami has played thus far, the first play of the game has been a dive play against LSU (2 yards, Savannah State (loss of 2 yards), FIU (9 yards), FSU (1 yard), Boston College (3 yards), Duke (3 yards). That’s a total of 13 yards in six games. Basically, if you play Miami, line up and expect them to run the ball on the first play and to stop them after a very short gain”

Just amazing.
Next level strategy by Richt right there.

@OP So I'm watching the HEAT post game show yesterday and former coach (Rothstein) tells a story about an intern that spotted a flaw in Shaq's mechanics.
Not one of the coaches or players noticed this but this intern caught it, showed it to Rothstein and it corrected the problem.

I mention this because you take quite a bit of time going over film and though you may think the coaches have surely picked up on all this, just maybe they have not. Have you considered an avenue to share with them?

Yes, I can imagine the hoops you'd have to jump through to get access to the staff ---but who knows, maybe there is a way. Maybe through an intern?

@OP So I'm watching the HEAT post game show yesterday and former coach (Rothstein) tells a story about an intern that spotted a flaw in Shaq's mechanics.
Not one of the coaches or players noticed this but this intern caught it, showed it to Rothstein and it corrected the problem.

I mention this because you take quite a bit of time going over film and though you may think the coaches have surely picked up on all this, just maybe they have not. Have you considered an avenue to share with them?

Yes, I can imagine the hoops you'd have to jump through to get access to the staff ---but who knows, maybe there is a way. Maybe through an intern?

One of Miami’s strength coaches was one of our strength coaches at Missouri State when I was there and later was a roommate of mine. I’m sure they’d love to have him bring them my articles from the board.

In all seriousness, I’ve been told several times that they read them. Boulware to RG is a nice step forward. Pop passes to Jeff Thomas is another. If they angle Thomas back across the formation against G Tech I might actually take credit for that one. Ha

Advertisement
Thanks Lance appreciate the work

This just really shows and highlights our huge problems on Offense.

1 - OL Coach needs to go. We should never be getting pushed back and always off balance against teams like Duke. Like you highlighted, the technique and leverage is just not there with our whole OL and that's on Searles to teach. Richt has to get rid of him after this year

2 - QB Coach has to go. You mentioned it multiple times, how are they not seeing the space on the field or recognizing an obvious blitz and calling an audible. Really baffling. Do these guys not watch film? Are they not coached up to see clear times to hot route or audible? What are Richt and Jon Richt teaching these guys?

3 - Richt really has to give up OC duties. His scheme is terrible 80% of the time and really limits the whole offense. We run go routes and never utilize space. We use ****** Langham to do jet sweeps (WTF!). Guy is just lost and stuck in 1995

If we make all 3 changes in the off season I will have hope. If not, we're ****ed

I just see a lot of non-executing of an offense that has worked for 30 years....

Advertisement
Back