Upon Further Review: Manny Diaz as DC

View as article
Also something else about development, 2020 season shouldn’t count. Look all over CFB last year. Nobody truly got better. Everybody looked the exact same or worse. Covid struck . No off season training fr. No spring ball. That’s why what Miami did on offense this last season is crazy. They really had no time to install.

Advertisement
Thank you Hawkman, you made my point for me. The QB from Toledo, Benkert from Virginia, Pickett from pitt and the QB from Wisconsin torched this defense by completed 3rd/4th downs all game long over and over again! To be fair I’m not gonna throw Clemson in there because obviously the talent gap was way to large with them. But NO supposed “top DC” gets shredded by those other four teams not only through the air but on the ground too. Now of course us with eyes and who have played the game know Diaz isn’t anywhere near a top DC in CFB but go ahead carry on with your slurper brigade agenda all the way to the slaughter house, makes no difference to me. Because my eyes and experience in the game know what I’ve seen out of Manure, I don’t need a bunch of nerdy stats ala goldy/noD to figure out what’s good and what isn’t. Good is NOT giving up the most yards in the history of Texas and Miami, bad is giving UP the most yard in the history of Texas and Miami. Can’t spell it out any clearer then that sport. And I’m gonna go ahead and @ your partner in crime here @Go Canes!! because he wanted some “examples” of the 2017 season that you got for me Hawkster. Read your “examples” above Go Canes. 👍

You think Pickett throwing 29 times for 192 yards is a good game

You’re an idiot

Good stuff bro;

I commented on the ‘17 season before in another thread. Man that was one helluva ride. Cardiac kids fa sho, but I would take that in a heartbeat.

One thing that stood out was the body blows we took. Malik Rosier had an unbelievable comeback kid mentality that season, kinda like Harbaugh w/ the Colts back in that magical season that led them to the playoffs.

We fared well against QBs like the first 10 games of the season, but we took some punches keeping the def on the field.

We gave up:
-183 Rushing Yards to Duke (Duke ranked 56th in this category)

-203 Rushing Yards to FSU (FSU ranked 76th in this category)

-226 Rushing Yards to GT (this made sense, b/c GT ranked 5th in this category)

-264 Rushing Yards to Syracuse (Cuse ranked 70th in this category)

-176 Rush Yards to UNC (UNC ranked 89th in this category)

-102 to VT (Great Def Game overall!! VT ranked 54th in this category)

-109 to ND (Imo, this is still my favorite Manny Diaz moment as a DC; this and the WVU game in the RAB. ND ranked 7th in this category)

-55 to UVA (UVA ranked 127th in this category)

-152 to Pitt (Pitt ranked 85th in this category)

-77 to Clemson but 4 TDs (I won’t knock Manny on this one. Def did its job & we started to see the erosion of Richt’s mysterious playbook. Clemson ranked 35th in this category

-142 to Wisconsin (again, a solid game plan against the 23rd ranked rushing offense).

The 2017 season saw us take leads, give up leads, and look for some miracles.

In the OB, we were up 14-3, but between the offense going stagnant & the defense getting hit w/ some late body blows, couldn’t maintain it.

Against Pitt, we were up; got stagnant. Then we saw Kenny Pickett throw & run for 3 TDs, including a 22 yrd keeper. He literally won that game on his own.

Against UVA, we spotted them a two TD lead in the 2nd half, but fortunately, they never moved off that two TD lead. But Benkert (who I don’t even remember) threw for 4 TDs including an inexplicable 75 yard bomb

ND & VT were just a masterful job in domination, and I really enjoyed those games. Still watch them on YT.

UNC was a straight dog fight. We wouldn’t allow them to punch it in, even though they kept trying. Took a nice 51 yrd hook up to Herndon to capture the lead b4 half, then we held our own, even though UNC was in our territory a lot.

Syracuse was also a dog fight. We had a two TD lead against them & was “this” close to blowing that lead. Fortunately Homer had a house call to seal the game

Against GT, the defense let us down this game. Took a heroic effort from Rosier & Langham to stave off the upset in the waning moments.

Against FSU, again, another nip & tuck game as w/ any rivalry game. Up 17-13 after taking the lead, FINALLY, in the 4th; Manny’s defense allowed FSU to march down the field w/ Blackmon who connected on a 20 yrd TD to almost seal the game. Of course we know Rosier put on his Superman cape and bailed us out.

Against Duke, that was just a good ole fashion revenge *** whipping. Lol

So when ppl like @The Franchise say eye test, this is what they mean. Several times we took the lead and gave it right back on the next possession during his tenure. Several times, when we needed a stop no matter the distance, we failed.

Numbers can be deceiving; they do provide a good guideline, but can be deceiving. As an example, I believe u & I debated on the quality of Miami’s classes. #’s wise, it shows we’ve had some good classes, but when u do a deep dive, it showed those class ranks were a little skewed by the number of recruits or a handful of recruits having high rankings that carried a class w/ a bunch of lower ranked kids.

Again, Manny’s a good DC, but the 2018 season appears to be more of an anomaly vs. the norm based upon his entire body of work as a DC, period. What was really weird about ‘17 is the amount of times we couldn’t get off the field due to teams just running it down our throats; I’m talking about teams that weren’t particularly efficient in rushing. It wasn’t huge yardage, but those 3.4 - 4.5 ypc add up when u continue to allow it.
Dang, post of the thread Relly and perfectly said! Might as well shut this thread down now because that’s a mike drop right there and no way around it even for the stats/slurper brigade. This should be mandatory reading for Ray Charles ( @Go Canes!! ) Stevie wonder ( @HurricaneHauk ) hellen Keller ( @OrangeBowlMagic ) and Andrea bocelli ( @puertorricane ).

You think Pickett throwing 29 times for 192 yards is a good game

You’re an idiot
Yes because I watched the game dip$hit and I saw Pickett, with here’s a newsflash, my own ******* “eyes” make throw after throw to beat us when it counted. Our defense desperately needed stops in clutch times of that game and said defense continually let us down as Pickett “picked” us apart. Smh stats don’t show that sporto, but you know what does, the ******* game film numbnutz!

Advertisement
This is the same issue, believe it or not, that I think Mullet is facing now at UiF. McEltooth was actually a better evaluator of talent than Mullet and Pitts, Toney - they came from that era. Now it’s Mullet’s evals and they aren’t as good. Golden had better evals. I’m hoping these coaches we just got can fix that.
Its surprising Megan Mullen hasn't been able to seal the deal with more recruits via the MILF route.

She slippin.

The people who say they trust numbers don’t even understand them. It’s that simple. The symbol 2 isn’t anything by itself. Numbers are symbols. Graphics that represents an idea. 2+2=4 isn’t significant, it’s just definitionally true. Math is a language. A scoring and relating system. But what matters is what you’re trying to keep track of, calculate, estimate, compare or predict. YPP isn’t math. It’s a number. But what does it mean? That depends. And if someone doesn’t grasp that, they really don’t understand math or numbers. How they feel about emotions is irrelevant.
Exactly man, the dudes on here that sight numbers/stats like it’s one of the commandments Moses brought down from Mt Sinai are the dudes that most often then not never even played the game like manure himself. Their knowledge is from their armchair and what Manure spits at them during the post game. SMH they’re clueless and will hang onto those beloved “stats” all the way to the slaughterhouse.

This thread is fascinating to say the least. When @Lance Roffers is critical of the D or anything else about our program the same poeple who are in here trying to pick holes in his analysis are stepping over each other to praise Lance for keeping it real or whatever dumbass **** they want to say. But now when Lance does something that shows Manny is a lot better than most they want to try and pick him apart. You know because the % of first quarter drives in an odd number year on the third saturday in Nov sucked. We've all agreed that YPP is probably the best metric to compare and total D is garbage. remember when DNO had a total D that was good, but we were still garbage? If you hate Manny just stand up and say it. Stop being puzzies about it and say i hate the guy and i hope he fails because i didn't like him or want him here.

I find it so interesting people will double, triple, and quadruple down on dumb when something doesn't fit their narrative. This thread lays bare all of the true *** haters. This is why you can't have conversations because of the eye test, but when the eye test is great against other teams the narrative then becomes, well they sucked, or some other kind of BS.

Advertisement
Cautiously optimistic is very fair.

In terms of polling fans, that would likely be somewhere between when Howard Stern or Jay Leno would ask people questions randomly on the street and when someone would ask staunch supporters about policies presenting the facts of the candidate they hate without mentioning that person by name...

what do you think of Manny Diaz? — fan throws chair yelling nicknames

what would you think if Miami hired this set of facts as our new DC? — **** yea let’s roll, fire up the fatigues and starter jacket
For sure - most fans are probably set in their beliefs, but my point is that I think that for most fans those beliefs are that was above average or at least average.

I should also point out that I believe you will get different results if you poll 'most fans' vs 'most message board fans'. When I said most fans would think he is average or better, I was talking message board - I think those numbers go up even more if polling general fans.

On the other hand, manny had the luxury of playing with golden recruits at db and lb. baker unfortunately was stuck with manny’s recruits and the talent level dropped noticeably.
Hit the nail on the head there Ethnic and should finally open the eyes to some that are still stubbornly keeping them closed that the facts about manures recruiting are the facts. His recruiting is a stinky pile of Manure! Who was in charge of the recruiting of the linebackers on this team and the defense as a whole, you guessed it sheep, Manure himself! The defense was in the position it was during the last two years because of Manure and no one else. When you start looking at the facts of the situation that manure won with Goldys recruits and Baker failed with manures recruits, you start the see the scapegoat that Bakers really was. Don’t get me wrong, Baker sucks but it would have been interesting to see if the roles were reversed and what baker would have been able to do with goldys recruits and what manure would have been able to do with his “lack of” recruits.

This thread is fascinating to say the least. When @Lance Roffers is critical of the D or anything else about our program the same poeple who are in here trying to pick holes in his analysis are stepping over each other to praise Lance for keeping it real or whatever dumbass **** they want to say. But now when Lance does something that shows Manny is a lot better than most they want to try and pick him apart. You know because the % of first quarter drives in an odd number year on the third saturday in Nov sucked. We've all agreed that YPP is probably the best metric to compare and total D is garbage. remember when DNO had a total D that was good, but we were still garbage? If you hate Manny just stand up and say it. Stop being puzzies about it and say i hate the guy and i hope he fails because i didn't like him or want him here.

I find it so interesting people will double, triple, and quadruple down on dumb when something doesn't fit their narrative. This thread lays bare all of the true *** haters. This is why you can't have conversations because of the eye test, but when the eye test is great against other teams the narrative then becomes, well they sucked, or some other kind of BS.

I agree with your point, but is it that interesting? I mean we see the same thing all around us in politics everyday - people will gladly take the evidence that supports their beliefs and try to find fault in the evidence that doesn't. This obviously isnt everyone or limited to one side or the other, but it's common.

EDIT: Maybe it's interesting, but certainly shouldn't be surprising (I realize you did not say surprising).

Advertisement
I agree with your point, but is it that interesting? I mean we see the same thing all around us in politics everyday - people will gladly take the evidence that supports their beliefs and try to find fault in the evidence that doesn't. This obviously isnt everyone or limited to one side or the other, but it's common.
Yes, to me it's very interesting. Maybe sad is the word i'm really looking for here?

Yes because I watched the game dip$hit and I saw Pickett, with here’s a newsflash, my own ******* “eyes” make throw after throw to beat us when it counted. Our defense desperately needed stops in clutch times of that game and said defense continually let us down as Pickett “picked” us apart. Smh stats don’t show that sporto, but you know what does, the ******* game film numbnutz!

Defense gave up 24 points you idiot

We had 7 points with 2 minutes left in the game but you want to blame the defense

You’re a dumb ****

By the way nice to know you’re a little ***** who won’t accept a 1k bet when you said we would win 5/6 games next season and I gave you 5 to 1 odds

Advertisement
Nothing is as easy to manipulate as feelings. You can pick and choose numbers to prove a point but if you look at every metric, the result will always be the same. The guys who talk about the eye test are coming to a conclusion based on what they feel and not facts.
No. We’re coming to conclusions based on what we observe.

Not sure where all this emotional attribution comes from, but football is a pretty simple game. Stat guys attempt to make it more complicated than it is by conjuring stats that attempt to refute what we actually see. PFF does it all the time.

Cautiously optimistic is very fair.

In terms of polling fans, that would likely be somewhere between when Howard Stern or Jay Leno would ask people questions randomly on the street and when someone would ask staunch supporters about policies presenting the facts of the candidate they hate without mentioning that person by name...

what do you think of Manny Diaz? — fan throws chair yelling nicknames

what would you think if Miami hired this set of facts as our new DC? — **** yea let’s roll, fire up the fatigues and starter jacket

Conversely, the educated rational fan would simply say one thing to anyone who thinks people are being too negative with regards to Manny.

We are what, 3 years into his tenure? In those 3 years, he has now fired BOTH his initial coordinator hires. The ability to surround yourself with quality people is probably THE most important trait in a head coach.

Listen, the Don Bailey Jr apologist admin *** kissing crowd has been using the "the fans are ridiculous" argument for two decades now, and for two decades they've been wrong. It's akin to the ostrich burying his ******* head in the sand and ignoring everything going on around him.

A rational fan would say Manny is on thin ice. He's made some REALLY bad decisions in a REALLY short amount of time. He's also had some BAD, INEXCUSEABLE losses including losing to the cross town "rival", which may be one of the low points of this program.

And that's not even getting into the fact his track record as a DC is spotty, AT BEST. You don't get fired for a lack of performance, AS A COORDINATOR, and have that NOT carry forward on your resume.

You can be "cautiously optimistic" if you choose, but circumstances and sample size say it's not necessarily merited. I'm just waiting for someone to bring up the "lingering impacts of the cloud" in this thread so we can pile it on the laundry list of excuses.

lol after all this I'm just left wondering how much Venerables stats are skewed by sign stealing.

Advertisement
Back