Upon Further Review: Manny Diaz as DC

View as article
Then no offense, but you're a God **** fool.

I can tell you first hand I can take ANY set of data points and manipulate them to tell WHATEVER story you want to hear.

Numbers need context and ample sample size from which to draw conclusions. Gross numbers don't have feelings but they are the path to gross negligence when taken out of context.
Nothing is as easy to manipulate as feelings. You can pick and choose numbers to prove a point but if you look at every metric, the result will always be the same. The guys who talk about the eye test are coming to a conclusion based on what they feel and not facts.

Advertisement
Nothing is as easy to manipulate as feelings. You can pick and choose numbers to prove a point but if you look at every metric, the result will always be the same. The guys who talk about the eye test are coming to a conclusion based on what they feel and not facts.

This is the genius you’re dealing with.

I’m not sure any defenses stop great offenses anymore. Clemson, Bama, Georgia, OSU couldnt. It’s going to come down to crushing the average offenses and keeping them out of the game and being able to go blow for blow with top offenses.
^ (y)
In the CFBPO, the best vs the best, the winning team scored over 30 points 17 of 21 games.
Over 40 points in more than half of the games.

Toledo 28/48 342 3 TD

Daniel Jones 21/41 166 1 INT

Blackmon 17/28 200 2 TD 2 INT

Dungey - 13/41 137 4 INT

UNC QBs - 20/46 173 1 TD 3 INT

Josh Jackson - 20/32 197 yards 2 INT

Notre Dame QBs - 13/27 152 1 TD 3 INT

Benkert - 28/37 384 3 TD

Pickett - 18/29 193 yards 1 TD

Clemson QBs - 25/34 - 254 1 TD

Wisconsin - 23/34 - 258 4 TD

Total TD 16
Total INT 15

But it’s nice you want to try to exclude an entire season because it doesn’t fit your narrative

Should we do 2016 as well?
Thank you Hawkman, you made my point for me. The QB from Toledo, Benkert from Virginia, Pickett from pitt and the QB from Wisconsin torched this defense by completed 3rd/4th downs all game long over and over again! To be fair I’m not gonna throw Clemson in there because obviously the talent gap was way to large with them. But NO supposed “top DC” gets shredded by those other four teams not only through the air but on the ground too. Now of course us with eyes and who have played the game know Diaz isn’t anywhere near a top DC in CFB but go ahead carry on with your slurper brigade agenda all the way to the slaughter house, makes no difference to me. Because my eyes and experience in the game know what I’ve seen out of Manure, I don’t need a bunch of nerdy stats ala goldy/noD to figure out what’s good and what isn’t. Good is NOT giving up the most yards in the history of Texas and Miami, bad is giving UP the most yard in the history of Texas and Miami. Can’t spell it out any clearer then that sport. And I’m gonna go ahead and @ your partner in crime here @Go Canes!! because he wanted some “examples” of the 2017 season that you got for me Hawkster. Read your “examples” above Go Canes. 👍

Advertisement
Thank you Hawkman, you made my point for me. The QB from Toledo, Benkert from Virginia, Pickett from pitt and the QB from Wisconsin torched this defense by completed 3rd/4th downs all game long over and over again! To be fair I’m not gonna throw Clemson in there because obviously the talent gap was way to large with them. But NO supposed “top DC” gets shredded by those other four teams not only through the air but on the ground too. Now of course us with eyes and who have played the game know Diaz isn’t anywhere near a top DC in CFB but go ahead carry on with your slurper brigade agenda all the way to the slaughter house, makes no difference to me. Because my eyes and experience in the game know what I’ve seen out of Manure, I don’t need a bunch of nerdy stats ala goldy/noD to figure out what’s good and what isn’t. Good is NOT giving up the most yards in the history of Texas and Miami, bad is giving UP the most yard in the history of Texas and Miami. Can’t spell it out any clearer then that sport. And I’m gonna go ahead and @ your partner in crime here @Go Canes!! because he wanted some “examples” of the 2017 season that you got for me Hawkster. Read your “examples” above Go Canes. 👍
Honestly do you even think before you post the same regure all day long? The QBs from Virginia and Toledo didn’t complete “third and fourth downs all game long”

They went a combined 6-24 on third down and 0-4 on 4th down. We beat those teams by a combined 58-10 to end the games.

Let me guess, your eye test is still right?

Please stop @ me with your nonsensical hot takes.
91C42CF7-FBEF-4511-88A8-974CA381B3ED.jpeg
619BE159-79D0-468C-A058-0FC565BB49FF.png

***Caution: LONG POST***

I think we keep emphasizing the ‘18 season & we’re forgetting the ‘16 & ‘17 seasons.

So did some research:
Miami was as follows in ‘18:
-1st in Def Pass Efficiency
-1st in 3rd Down Defense
-23rd in 4th Down Defense
-5th in 1st Down Defense
-1st in Passing Yards Allowed
-42nd in Rushing Yards Allowed
-18th in Scoring Defense
-1st in TFLs
-4th in Total Defense
-55th in RZ Defense

Truly outstanding....until u look at the teams we faced & their offensive rankings.

I’m only going to use P5 schools on this:

-LSU - (pre Joe Brady & when Joe Burrow was considered a scrub):
-68th in Total Offense
-66th in Passing Offense
-57th in 3rd Down Efficiency
-27th in RZ Offense
-100th in TFLs allowed
-59th in Rushing Offense
-37th in Scoring Offense

-UNC:
-77th in Scoring Offense
-44th in Rushing Offense
-42nd in TFLs allowed
-78th in RZ Offense
-111th in 3rd Down Efficiency
-47th in Passing Offense
-31st in Total Offense

-FSU:
-102nd in Total Offense
-28th in Passing Offense
-126th in Rushing Offense
-126th in 3rd Down Efficiency
-109th in RZ Offense
-126th in TFLs allowed
-112th in Scoring Offense

-UVA:
-69th in Scoring Offense
-81st in Total Offense
-86th in Passing Offense
-60th in Rushing Offense
-6th in 3rd Down Efficiency
-49th in TFLs Allowed
-126th in RZ Offense

-BC:
-96th in RZ Offense
-79th in TFLs Allowed
-67th in Total Offense
-81st in Passing Offense
-48th in Rushing Offense
-114th in 3rd Down Efficiency
-38th in Scoring Offense

-Duke:
-63rd in Scoring Offense
-56th in RZ Offense
-44th in TFLs allowed
-65th in Total Offense
-52nd in Passing Offense
-77th in Rushing Offense
-37th in 3rd Down Efficiency

-GT:
-26th in 3rd Down Efficiency
-1st in Rushing Offense
-126th in Passing Offense
-61st in Total Offense
-29th in TFLs Allowed
-101st in RZ Offense
-33rd in Scoring Offense

-VT:
-60th in Scoring Offense
-63rd in TFLs Allowed
-82nd in 3rd Down Efficiency
-39th in Total Offense
-11th in RZ Offense
-40th in Passing Offense
-57th in Rushing Offense

-Pitt:
-18th in Rushing Offense
-93rd in Scoring Offense
-120th in Passing Offense
-87th in TFLs Allowed
-97th in Total Offense
-96th in 3rd Down Efficiency
-79th in RZ Offense

-Wisc:
-41st in RZ Offense
-61st in Scoring Offense
-50th in 3rd Down Efficiency
-6th in Rushing Offense
-118th in Passing Offense
-6th in TFLs Allowed
-36th in Total Offense

So right off the back, our ‘18-19 season was filled w/ inept offenses.
Our opponents avg:
-65th in Total Offense
-72nd in RZ Offense
-63rd in TFLs allowed
-76th in Passing Offense
-45th in Rushing Offense
-71st in 3rd Down Efficiency
-64th in Scoring Offense

The combined record of our opponents matched this fact as these 10 teams went 68 - 59.

Imo, 2018 was a nice crescendo for Diaz:
-Played against pedestrian Offenses
-Had an absolute monster at DT that wrecked havoc up the middle
-Solid LBs
-Very Good Secondary

I won’t knock Diaz on the ‘18 season b/c ur opponents r ur opponents. However, we faced teams that worked right into our schematic hands; teams that couldn’t stay on the field b/c they allowed TFLs & were often one dimensional. On the other hand, when we faced a good rushing team, or teams that could stay on the field, we got gashed, not for huge chunks, but steady body blows.

I don’t like YPP stats; just like I don’t like Total Defense stats. D’No used Total Defense to justify why his system worked. Here, YPP is being used. U have to look at the whole pic. Our 3rd % went up b/c majority of our opponents for ‘18 sucked in that category compared to the ‘16 & ‘17 season. In ‘19 we went right back to having an inability to getting off the field.

Diaz is a good DC. What I didn’t have the time to do is compare how his contemporaries fared against their schedule of P5 schools & where they ranked offensively. Just doing a quick glance at Clemson’s ‘18 schedule & it was much, much more difficult than our’s w/ more offensively efficient teams. So what Brent was able to do that season is not on the same playing field.

All things r not equal. Just b/c it’s P5 don’t mean it’s the same quality of opponent.

I agree with the level of offenses we faced that year, but Lances numbers compare what our D did vs those offenses compared to what those offenses did vs all of the other teams that year.

P5 results only.
Miami's defensive #'s in the game vs what that team averaged vs p5 opponents that year:

LSU
Yardage: -79 (78% of their average game total for the season)

UNC
Yardage: -95 (78%)

FSU
Yardage: -143 (58%)

UVA
Yardage: -126 (65%)

BC
Yardage: +75 (120%)

Duke
Yardage: -87 (78%)

GT
Yardage: -60 (84%)

VT
Yardage: -45 (88%)

Pitt
Yardage: -187 (52%)

Wisconsin
Yardage: -9 (98%)

Bottom line here is that we made bad offenses look worse.
In half of those game we gave up less than 300 yards.
One team did better against us in yards than they averaged for the season.

Btw we averaged 321 ypg/21.7 ppg 0n O vs p5 in '18 vs p5 which was statistically worse than our O in '19.

I stated my issues with Manny's defenses in a previous post, but the results of that '18 D were pretty good.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Honestly do you even think before you post the same regure all day long? The QBs from Virginia and Toledo didn’t complete “third and fourth downs all game long”

They went a combined 6-24 on third down and 0-3 on 4th down. We beat those teams by a combined 58-10 to end the games.

Let me guess, your eye test is still right?

Please stop @ me with this nonsense.

View attachment 143121View attachment 143122
How ever you want to skew your agenda go canes the simple fact is this, Toledo, Virginia, pitt and wisky até manures lunch! That’s point of the story here and all that matters! No “top DC” gets his lunch ate by those 3 scrub teams and one above average one, none! His defense is smoke and mirrors, full of holes and lacks the discipline and fundamentals/principles that have been apart of the game since the beginning. Had you played the game at the college level you would see that as clear as a winter day in south Florida, I assure you. Games like UNC and BYU never happen to top DCs because they’re teams at the bare minimum have proper fundamentals and discipline and that’s at the bare minimum! Diaz carries himself like he’s the smartest guy in the room and has literally tried to reinvent the defensive football wheel at the expense of his own career as a football coach, these are facts. Do you ever wonder why no other DC in all of CFB runs his scheme except good ole take lesser job/really “fired” Baker? Incase you haven’t noticed CFB is a copy cat league, so if a DC is running an excellent successful scheme, everyone under the sun starts copying it! Yet no one is copying Manures, I wonder why? 🤔 lol The espn wonder boy thought he was gonna out smart over 100 years of CFB from his espn editing office even though he never even played the ******* game! Lmao dudes a fraud from the very beginning and the proof is in the pudding and incase you forgot, I’ll go ahead and post it for you below my friend.
1612710813865.png

1612710851685.png

Numbers don’t have feelings. That’s why I trust numbers instead of the “eye test”.
And that’s because you never played the game. Stats can be used to skew anything to make it look competent! See goldy and NoD for 5 ******* years and now manure/baker with their nerd boy analytics. Smh there is a reason Billy Beane still hasn’t won a World Series, or Daryl Morey/Mike D’antoni hasn’t won an NBA championship! No one reinvents the wheel and goes against a 100 plus years of CFB or baseball or basketball. No matter what Brad Pitt tells us in a movie. Lol

And that’s because you never played the game. Stats can be used to skew anything to make it look competent! See goldy and NoD for 5 ******* years and now manure/baker with their nerd boy analytics. Smh there is a reason Billy Beane still hasn’t won a World Series, or Daryl Morey/Mike D’antoni hasn’t won an NBA championship! No one reinvents the wheel and goes against a 100 plus years of CFB or baseball or basketball. No matter what Brad Pitt tells us in a movie. Lol

I truly feel so bad for people like you. Deadass. You’re so incredibly dull, and you have no idea that you are. Terrifying.

1612712415443.jpeg

The eye test by some of the resident experts trump all statistics. Everyone knows numbers lie but their unbiased eyes never do.
See Golden and Dnofrio from 2011 to 2015? Lol Then tell me about so called “stats” versus the eye test buddy! Smh

Advertisement
How ever you want to skew your agenda go canes the simple fact is this, Toledo, Virginia, pitt and wisky até manures lunch! That’s point of the story here and all that matters! No “top DC” gets his lunch ate by those 3 scrub teams and one above average one, none! His defense is smoke and mirrors, full of holes and lacks the discipline and fundamentals/principles that have been apart of the game since the beginning. Had you played the game at the college level you would see that as clear as a winter day in south Florida, I assure you. Games like UNC and BYU never happen to top DCs because they’re teams at the bare minimum have proper fundamentals and discipline and that’s at the bare minimum! Diaz carries himself like he’s the smartest guy in the room and has literally tried to reinvent the defensive football wheel at the expense of his own career as a football coach, these are facts. Do you ever wonder why no other DC in all of CFB runs his scheme except good ole take lesser job/really “fired” Baker? Incase you haven’t noticed CFB is a copy cat league, so if a DC is running an excellent successful scheme, everyone under the sun starts copying it! Yet no one is copying Manures, I wonder why? 🤔 lol The espn wonder boy thought he was gonna out smart over 100 years of CFB from his espn editing office even though he never even played the ******* game! Lmao dudes a fraud from the very beginning and the proof is in the pudding and incase you forgot, I’ll go ahead and post it for you below my friend.
View attachment 143123
View attachment 143124

Jfc. You just typed the words I quoted, were proven wrong snd went back to regurgitation.

Please don’t @ me anymore.

See. The first thing I read was Logan Woodside being well below average, and I quit reading. I watched that game, and Woodside kept his MAC team in that game against us. He was good in that game. He might not have been as good as he was against Miami Ohio or Kent State, which is why looking at stats is a bad way to determine what's happening in a football game, but he was good against us and made all kinds of throws in that game. Walton and Rosier won that game for us, not Manure.
Amen franchise and perfectly said and another thing the slurper brigade will pretend didn’t happen. Smh because to them actually watching the football game, which for us who played the game is akin to watch tape on the opponent doesn’t matter. Lol all that matters is the stats the likes of NoD and Mnaure have been throwing out at us for the last 10 years that we, you guessed it, have sucked! 🤢🤮

Jfc. You just typed the words I quoted, were proven wrong snd went back to regurgitation.

Please don’t @ me anymore.
Proven wrong huh? So Manure didnt get his Lunch ate by Toledo, Virginia, pitt and wisky in 2017? Well your beloved stats say otherwise sport. And manure didn’t give up the most yards in the history of the Miami and Texas football programs? Well again your beloved stats in the history books say otherwise sporto. Don’t @ me anymore unless you want to actually open your eyes and stop be a sheep to the slaughter house that is owned by manure & co. Lol

Advertisement
Lololol this whole thread is funny asf. Y’all calling manny a trash DC is wild. The name of the game these days is OFFENSE. EVERY DC getting their lunch money took now days. Bama, clemson , OSU. Don’t matter who it is. Manny holds his own at the end of the day. When he was the DC his defense was on the field most of the time. When he had a offense to back him we won a lot of games (2017) if you try to blame that collapse at the end of that season on manny idk what to tell you. We lost 3 important players by the OB ( Walton, Richards & Herndon). We get gashed but we make big plays that’s the name of the game . I agree that we need to do better with evals and that development needs to be better but strictly talking bout play calling and game planning you can’t take away the one thing manny is actually good at. One thing I use to love about manny as a DC was halftime adjustments . He did that very well to. All this arguing for nothing tbh cause this year WE GONE SEE he’s only missing two pieces to me . He needs a LB ( I say we take a run at Henry to’oto’o) and another pass rusher other than that the defense is set. talent is there and so is coaching.

I truly feel so bad for people like you. Deadass. You’re so incredibly dull, and you have no idea that you are. Terrifying.

View attachment 143126
I truly feel bad for people like you because your so dull with your stats and magazine covers versus actually watching the games and evaluating the talent. I watch baseball and anyone with “eyes” again knows the reason the 2017 Astros won the World Series and have been one of the best teams MLB the last going on 5 years is not because of money ball. It’s because they have ******* 3 five tool players on their ******* roster in Springer, Correa and Altuve and a top dollar pitching staff you ******* moron! Seriously, how blind and stupid are you? Do you even know what money ball is? Have you not figured out in your lifetime that sports illustrated actually knows **** about what they actually cover, sports? Lol I can assure you “moneyball” is NOT being able to afford 3 five tool all stars on a roster with a loaded pitching staff. Smh

Sounds like the only one with feelings here is you. You realize feelings make you ignore things too?

Yeah, but I think the key word in his post is 'most'. There are certainly people who think he was a terribly overrated DC and for that matter just a bad DC. To your point, those people will constantly try to validate that, but I think most people have him in the average, above average or elite categories. And I am guessing if you polled fans whether Manny was terrible, below average, average, above average or elite that the category that would get the most votes is above average and then average and elite (not necessarily in that order) would be next.

Personally I think he is in the above average group, but I am somewhat concerned about him trying to be the play caller and HC mainly b/c his results as a HC have been somewhat suspect (although I applaud him for being willing to admit the issues and visibly trying to address them).

I also worry - as others have pointed out - about recruiting. Whether it was b/c he didn't take it seriously, had a bad eye for talent, didn't hold his coaches accountable and/or didn't develop talent, there is no denying that between his time as DC and then as HC that there were several positions on D that we have either not been able to get quality players (LB) or players altogether (CB). Hopefully that changes with the strong recruiting staff that he has built, but the recruiting (for the most part) won't be felt until 2 or 3 years from now.

To be clear, I think the D should be better with Manny calling the plays than it was last year and am cautiously optimistic that he has learned enough as a HC to make it work, but it still something that gives me pause.
Cautiously optimistic is very fair.

In terms of polling fans, that would likely be somewhere between when Howard Stern or Jay Leno would ask people questions randomly on the street and when someone would ask staunch supporters about policies presenting the facts of the candidate they hate without mentioning that person by name...

what do you think of Manny Diaz? — fan throws chair yelling nicknames

what would you think if Miami hired this set of facts as our new DC? — **** yea let’s roll, fire up the fatigues and starter jacket

Advertisement
Back