Upon Further Review- Major Applewhite

On paper, there is enough talent on the offensive side to have an above-average to good offense in year 1 of a brand new system.

QB- Grad transfer/4* JW
RB 4* DJ, Cam, 5* Lingawd
WR- 4* Hightower, 5* Pope, 3* Wiggins
TE- 4* Jordan, Mallory
LT- Butler (highly recruited GT)
LG- 4* Reed
C- 3* Gaynor
RG- 4* Donaldson
RT- 4* Scaife

A new system that actually fits our personnel (similar to when Manny came with the defense) should have an immediate impact.
The right hire should result in a similar trajectory to what we saw in the D'Onofrio/Diaz transition. Not everything will be perfect, but we'll at least be headed in right direction and with proper pace. In other words, we'd actually get to watch something that looks like an offense again.

Advertisement
The right hire should result in a similar trajectory to what we saw in the D'Onofrio/Diaz transition. Not everything will be perfect, but we'll at least be headed in right direction and with proper pace. In other words, we'd actually get to watch something that looks like an offense again.

no way potential OCs are turning down an opportunity to work with these athletes. What better way to pad the resume with a successful 2-3 year stint where just simply changing the system that takes advantage of the guys we already have here can make you seem like an offensive genius? This should be easy pickin's for Manny to lure a qualified OC that has their sights on bigger and better gigs down the road, so I don't get the whole narrative no one wants the job. That is patently absurd.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, I'm not a Dr. either.

LMFAO!!! I thought you were a plastic surgeon with that name.....

LMFAO!!! Dude, you have me dying over here.... Right now I'll take any Dr. to make sure I'm alive from the laughter!

Thanks!:cheerful:

no way potential OCs are turning down an opportunity to work with these athletes. What better way to pad the resume with a successful 2-3 year stint where just simply changing the system that takes advantage of the guys we already have here can make you seem like an offensive genius? This should be easy pickin's for Manny to lure a qualified OC that has their sights on bigger and better gigs down the road, so I don't get the whole narrative no one wants the job. That is patently absurd.
Diaz turned it into a HC gig (originally at Temple and, as fate would have it, at the U) after being a middling DC for most of his career.

Win at Miami and doors open up everywhere.

Advertisement
  • While he has put up very solid Points Per Play numbers as an OC (.482 points-per-play in his time at Houston), it still falls far below the elite teams this year. Oklahoma- .714 points per play, Alabama- .672 points per play, Clemson- .617 points per play, Ohio State- .517 points per play.

Great work!

Murray, Tua, Lawrence, Haskins are arguably the top 4 college QBs and top 4 picks in this year's NFL draft if they all could declare this year. At least 3 of them were in the CFP, have elite traits, and all 4 are surrounded by the best talent the country has to offer.

Is it fair to compare a single year with these players playing their best ball, to what Major had to work with at all of his coaching stops combined?

Great work!

Murray, Tua, Lawrence, Haskins are arguably the top 4 college QBs and top 4 picks in this year's NFL draft if they all could declare this year. At least 3 of them were in the CFP, have elite traits, and all 4 are surrounded by the best talent the country has to offer.

Is it fair to compare a single year with these players playing their best ball, to what Major had to work with at all of his coaching stops combined?

That number was compared to his work at Houston, where he did have a very good QB. It wasn't his career average.

I included it more to show where Miami needs to aspire to get to if they want to join those elite schools. There is a reason I chose those four programs to compare to.

Sure hope you have the time to do another if it's not Applewhite. Gives us great perspective as to what we might see on the field.
Hadn't heard from Dario in years. Didn't even know he was a member of this site.

That number was compared to his work at Houston, where he did have a very good QB. It wasn't his career average.

I included it more to show where Miami needs to aspire to get to if they want to join those elite schools. There is a reason I chose those four programs to compare to.

The talent he had at Houston is still inferior at all levels and especially QB. It doesn't really equate unless Miami is working with the same level of talent, but yes, we can get there with an elite QB and a great staff.

Advertisement
The talent he had at Houston is still inferior at all levels and especially QB. It doesn't really equate unless Miami is working with the same level of talent, but yes, we can get there with an elite QB and a great staff.

Which is why the numbers are vs. peers and not all teams. Doing it against peers takes into account talent disparity.

By the way, we would LOVE to have D’Eriq King here at QB. Greg Ward Jr. also put up incredible numbers there.

Which is why the numbers are vs. peers and not all teams. Doing it against peers takes into account talent disparity.

By the way, we would LOVE to have D’Eriq King here at QB. Greg Ward Jr. also put up incredible numbers there.

I don't think Houston is in the peer-group with CFP teams. Do you?

I’m not communicating the way I intend to. When I say peer groups, I mean that the results are vs peer teams within their group. Such as Houston vs Tulsa, Oklahoma vs Texas etc.

I included the elite teams to give a level of context to show what Miami aspires to.

that's it--now you're talking like you!

always impressed with your work.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back