Upgrade or Downgrade - Offense

NorthFlaCane

Senior
Let's break this down position by position:

QB:

2013 - Morris Sr
2014 - Likely Williams R-Sr or Olson R-Fr

Analysis: Morris was awful as a senior. He did a terrible job of converting on 3rd down and in the red zone. He looked even worse when Dorsett went down. I don't love Williams' game and there will always be concern about a redshirt frosh in Olson, but I can't see how either of them will be less reliable than Morris was this year.

Verdict: Even

RB:

2013 - Johnson So, Crawford R-So, Edwards Fr, Clements R-Sr
2014 - Johnson Jr, Yearby Fr, Edwards So, Crawford R-Jr

Analysis: As long as we get Johnson and Yearby back in time for summer workouts, I think this will be an upgrade. Duke will be Duke, and Yearby will be the clear #2 guy. I love Crawford's spirit, but he shouldn't be a rotation player at running back. I would expect Edwards to improve after going through the offseason program.

Verdict: Upgrade

FB:

2013 - Hagens Sr, Tucker Fr
2014 - Tucker So, Walk-On

Analysis: Fortunately we don't use the fullback much, but this is a downgrade. If we had secured a 2nd running back in this class, we could have moved Edwards to FB too.

Verdict: Downgrade

WR:

2013 - Hurns Sr, Dorsett Jr, Scott Jr, Waters So, Coley Fr, Lewis R-Fr, Jones R-Fr
2014 - Dorsett Sr, Scott Sr, Waters Jr, Coley So, Lewis R-So, Berrios Fr, Langham Fr, Jones R-So

Analysis: I'm not listing Brady or Gray because of potential grade casualties, but overall this is an upgrade. We'll miss Hurns, but hopefully Coley can grow in the offseason and Scott can get back on track. Lewis will also be another year removed from his ankle injury. If Berrios is healthy, he'll get some touches too.

TE:

2013 - Cleveland Sr, Walford R-Jr, Sandland Jr, Dobard Fr, O'Donnell R-Fr
2014 - Walford R-Sr, Sandland Sr, Dobard So, O'Donnell R-So, Herndon Fr, Njoku Fr

Analysis: This position greatly ****ed me off last year. Why was Cleveland on the field so much? Why do we insist on handicapping our offense? I get that you want a good blocker, but he's such a liability everywhere else that it makes no sense. At least this year they'll be forced to play anyone else.

OL:

2013 - Flowers So, Feliciano R-Jr, McDermott R-Jr, Linder So, Henderson Sr, Bunche R-Jr, Wheeler R-Sr, Wells R-So, Isidora R-Fr, Gadbois R-So, Redshirted Gall, Odogwu, Knighton
2014 - Flowers Jr, Feliciano R-Sr, McDermott R-Sr, Isidora R-So, McDermott Fr, Darling Fr, Gadbois R-Jr, Wells R-Jr, Odogwu R-Fr, Gall R-Fr, Knighton R-Fr, Redshirt Linder

Analysis: It was a direct competition between Morris and the Offensive Line to see who could be the bigger underachiever in 2013. Losing 4 of your top 7 offensive lineman is never good, so the experience dropoff will hurt. We did get 2 quality frosh in for spring ball, and a couple of our 2013 redshirts are supposed to look promising, so it will be a downgrade, but not some kind of disaster. Again, all the experience on the field last year and the oline regularly got its butt kicked, so how much of a downgrade can it possibly be?

Verdict: Downgrade

Overall: Our most experienced losses were Morris, Hurns, and some oline. Morris and the oline stunk up the joint last year, so I don't see how the performance could really get worse. Losing Hurns hurts, but we get Dorsett back and a year of maturation out of Coley. I think our tight ends will look even better. And as long as Yearby and Duke are healthy, I don't think we'll see a repeat of the disaster that was our running game going down the stretch. The offense will likely become more efficient on 3rd downs and in the redzone due to an improved running game and a different mindset from the QB.

Advertisement
LULZ

Dorsett going down had nothing to do with Morris. Dorsett had 13 catches in 6 games. Morris was never at the pinnacle he was at the end of the 2012 season. From the start of the 2013 season. He was very sub par from the 1st snap. People can claim it was the fact that he was on his 3rd OC. He injured himself early in the season, but when you look back at it all. He was never there from the beginning.

Williams when he was asked to step into games. Was very solid and efficient. He looked good in 2012 when he stepped in late in the Kansas State game, and threw the only TD we had that game. Looked really good versus UNC when he stepped in with about 7 mins left to play. In that short span he threw for half the yards and completed 3 less passes than what Morris did in 3.5 qtrs.

This past season when he was allowed to play. He was very efficient again, and somehow found ways to use the TE, and move the chains.

As far as Olsen goes. Nobody on here knows the real story. Pete **** sure isn't going to give him the light of day, because Olsen didn't let him join his fan club, like Kaaya did. Olsen has got this image painted of him. That he isn't taking things serious, because Golden came out, and said he needs to work on being consistent everyday, and doing what is needed on every throw. People ran with this, as if the young man isn't putting in the work.

It is Al's job to not let this guy think he is going to be handed this job. It is his job to make sure he lets Olsen know. He better bring his work gloves everyday, because he is going to be pushed, and the **** isn't going to be a cake walk.

One, or both these guys will get the chance to make people eat a lot of crow over the next few seasons.

I want Olsen to get the chance, but i won't be mad if Williams gets the job, and takes us back to where we need to be.

Tucker will be an upgrade over Hagens!

But since Miami only has FB on the field about bout 10 times a game, I don't believe it matters.

Also Williams or Olsen must be better than Morris in 2014 or it will be a LONG year!

the Offense as a whole will be upgrade, if we can finally throw passes in the middle of the field and if we stop that stupid guard taps the center to hike the ball.

Advertisement
Walford is going to light it up this year. I'm a big fan of him, even for as much touches as he got, I still feel as he deserved more. He is VERY reliable.

Advertisement
Back