Updated 1/14 -Per Ivins - 1/12/21 - Blake/Patke/Simpson - Jess Brought Back. Blake remains DC.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't remember him saying that. My instinct is that he wouldn't say that just in case he ever needed another CFB job, but I'm not insider, so maybe...I guess... It just doesn't make sense for him to unnecessarily make it harder for himself in the future.

Let's be fair here... I seriously, seriously doubt there's a coach alive that "likes" recruiting. Even the best at it. You're kissing the *** of an over-entitled kid who has never really proven anything yet thinks he's god's gift to football. You travel constantly and never stop fighting until NSD. It seems absolutely awful.

No but if you have any respect for them as humans then you fire them as early as you can. You don’t make them sit through all of this message board bs and privately reassure them they’re okay and then fire them a few weeks later.

My point is...these guys aren’t going anywhere in my opinion. If they were then it would have been done already. If I’m wrong and they get fired then Manny lacks control over his program.

Or you give them a chance to get another job so the optics/story is "left for another job" and not "fired."

Advertisement
I’d be happy with Simpson. I’ll keep saying it.. he could be our defensive coordinator and would do well.

The experience isn’t there. Had he not been making G5 assistant coach money coaching in GA HS football, he would have kicked off his college coaching career much sooner and already been a P5 DC.

Our DL had its best years against the run and pass under him including better than Kul. He solved our run D woes.
How I Met Your Mother Thank You GIF by Laff

Common sense says they’ve been privately reassured. Your players were tweeting about how great of a coach Patke is and didn’t someone from the comms team also defend Patke? There’s been a lot of smoke so I imagine they’ve had the discussion privately.

It’s been two weeks since our last game, our season has been over for a good while now. Most coaches have been fired by now. Not sure why it’s hard to believe this timing would be considered odd. If you’re gonna make a change, then make it. Hence why I believe aside from hiring a new DL coach, this is the staff we’re going to have in place for 2021.

The "comms team"? Oh, and "common sense" is your source?

What a ri-goddamm-diculous post. But, sure, since a couple of players support a coach, that MUST mean that you can "imagine" that Manny has "had the discussion privately".

Good lord, what in the FVCK is going on here? What passes for rational conversation these days? Have we lowered the standards to the point where a guy can just cite "common sense" and "smoke" and "imagination" to come to the rock-solid conclusion that "private discussions" have been held? And "comms team"?

I've seen better porsts constructed out of strips of newspaper dipped in bull *****...

Advertisement
They could be given non-coaching analyst roles. Just because they aren't fired doesn't mean they'll be coaching in a similar capacity; both could continue to learn from a guy like Strong.

Exactly.

I am not claiming that I know we WILL fire Baker/Patke, nor am I saying that we will retain them. I support firing Baker, but I also realize that my opinion (as well as the cumulative opinion of multiple UM fan websites) has no impact on the process.

But I also don't try to interpret every word (and non-word) like I'm reading tea-leaves. I'd love for our Athletic Department to take rapid, bold, and successful steps to fix our problems immediately. But reality and pragmatism would seem to suggest that such moves might be complex and require several days to implement properly.

We don't play Alabama for several months. I can be patient and wait a few days for Manny to make his second attempt at fixing his coaching staff.

And I still support the firing of Blake Baker, though I don't think Manny is soliciting my input.

Advertisement
I don't understand how it takes this long to make a decision. It only makes sense if Blake and Patke stay...that likely means they were never leaving and it was just message board rumors.

If Manny moves on from either then that is incredibly poor management. How do you have rumors out for weeks and just let all of it fester? This is toxic and just downright embarrassing.

Do I think Manny is a bad coach? Yes. Do I think he's that idiotic? Not really. For that reason, I think it's very clear Blake and Patke stay.
Manny would be a lunatic to keep Baker and Patke in the same roles; they are analysts at best on a quality staff. I feel like signs were there all along, but after UNC no amount of stat whoring could be done to justify the mess on the defensive side of the ball. A change must come..

Way too logical.

I need 24-7-365 hot-takes that contradict each other every few minutes.

I need porsters analyzing every UM quote (and especially the things that the coaches DON'T say) as if they were Talmudic scholars.

I need hundreds of separate threads advocating for the retroactive firing of every Miami coach back to 2001.
Stop! My palms are sweating

Advertisement
Back