Updated 1/14 -Per Ivins - 1/12/21 - Blake/Patke/Simpson - Jess Brought Back. Blake remains DC.

I like the idea of Jess Simpson if Manny gets the vibe he wants to stick around. I understand coaches move around a decent amount but I would want to know the guy would be happy here and enjoy building a stout line which includes building relationships to gain the trust to land these kids in 2-3 years.

Advertisement
What is Ivin‘s record regarding Miami’s coaching personnel decisions of the past 2 to 3 years?

This is a serious question.

The reason I ask is because I don’t think he’s ever gotten one right that I’m aware of
I’ll put it this way: even if this were baseball, his hit rate would still have him riding pine.

Advertisement
This board loves to believe Ivins when he’s saying some negative shït, even though he’s REGULARLY proven wrong. As someone else posted, when has he been proven right about something concerning our staff recently? Hell, he’s not even a reliable plug for potential recruits anymore.

Unless the Palmetto coach tips him off so that he can collect that $25K Gaytor signing bonus.

I’d be happy with Simpson. I’ll keep saying it.. he could be our defensive coordinator and would do well.

The experience isn’t there. Had he not been making G5 assistant coach money coaching in GA HS football, he would have kicked off his college coaching career much sooner and already been a P5 DC.

Our DL had its best years against the run and pass under him including better than Kul. He solved our run D woes.

I was gonna say I'd even be cool giving him a DC shot over the alternative.

Advertisement
There needs to be drastic changes in the fundamentals on defense. I don’t think bringing back the same DC is going to accomplish that. The run defense under Simpson was generally really good (a million times better than this year) but I don’t think a new DL coach and new DB coach are going to fix the fundamental flaws.

I was gonna say I'd even be cool giving him a DC shot over the alternative.
I mean it’s HS but he called his own D for 22 years at Buford and they were dominant.

HS offensive coaches have been successful in college. And the gap is usually in the ability to teach it and correlate to players because defense is still defense everywhere you go... sooo I don’t think it’s too far fetched

Advertisement
Manny runs a much tighter ship than any of the previous administrations. I listened to the 247 pod, Ivins is literally saying, “the name I keep hearing is Jess Simpson”. He’s not saying anything of substance, because he has no substance.
did we all just forget about how he would joke about "sources saying" at press conferences? lol. maybe manny will make the mistake of keeping baker and maybe he won't, but everything we've seen over the past couple of years indicates that we probably won't know until it happens. people just need to wait and see.

baker had success before here. he just isnt a p5 dc right now. dorito was straight trash.
people forget but baker was actually regarded as a pretty solid hire at the time. young up-and-coming DC who ran some disruptive defenses at LA tech and could potentially shine at the P5 level. obviously that hasn't worked out, but it wasn't exactly one of those "who???" situations.

Advertisement
He just did a podcast where he literally provided no new news that he hadn’t previously reported, then said that we didn’t have a shot at a recruit who we then landed two hours later.
It’s brutal listening to them for an hour. You can tell he has no info anymore.

Advertisement
Back