***update*** 11-17 South Carolina job update 11-16

brock

All-American
Coaching Scoop

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Bolt/Coaching-Scoop-Strong-one-to-watch-41125325

I would like to first address the speculation that because things have been quiet on the Tom Herman front lately then that means he is less likely to be South Carolina’s next coach. I do not believe that to be the case based on people I have spoken with recently. I still believe Herman is the leading candidate and that dialogue with his representatives continues. Can I say that he will definitely be the guy? No, it is not to that point yet, but I do still believe he could very well be in the end.

As for why things have gotten quiet, I believe it is much more likely to be for positive reasons than negative. If talks had broken down and Herman was looking less likely, there would not be much reason to keep it quiet. However, if things were progressing nicely, there would be every reason to keep it on the hush with Herman and his current team being in the middle of an undefeated season and South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner trying to avoid doing anything that could be viewed as tampering.

As for other potential candidates, I do think the situation at Texas is one worth watching. The Longhorns lost 38-20 to West Virginia on Saturday, falling to 4-6 on the season with games against Texas Tech and Baylor remaining. I do not believe Charlie Strong is someone South Carolina is currently pursuing, but the equation could change if Texas decided to make a change. If Strong expressed interest in the Gamecock job, which I believe he would if he found out he was being forced out at Texas, I do think he would become a candidate. Strong and Tanner are good friends dating back to Strong’s time as defensive coordinator at South Carolina and have remained in communication over the years.

There was a time when Strong was at the top of Tanner’s candidate list when he was Lousiville’s head coach. A lot has transpired in Strong’s two years as Texas’ head coach, so it is hard to say how things would play out, but I will say he inherited a colossal mess in Austin and the results are not indicative of his abilities as a head coach. He is trying to build Texas’ program the right way and it has been harder than anyone imagined it would be.

I do expect the picture to become clearer over the course of the next two weeks or so with an announcement possibly coming the week after South Carolina’s season finale against Clemson.

Blake James need to get on the move now.... USCE is already contacting Hermans representatives
- honestly think Texas would go hard at Herman if strong leaves

11-17 update

Coaching Scoop - Herman remains top target
Tony Morrell - 107 minutes ago VIP23
Newsletter

(Photo: Jonathan Dyer, USA TODAY Sports)
After speaking with multiple sources on Monday, I still believe Houston coach Tom Herman is the leading candidate for the South Carolina job, and I was given the impression that Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart is next on the list. However, I believe there is a significant gap between the two as South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner continues to make Herman his top priority.

Where Herman is concerned, there continues to be conflicting information in the coaching world in terms of how interested he is in the South Carolina job. Some believe he has serious interest, while others believe he has a stronger desire to land other jobs either this year or in the future. We have been told Tanner has been in consistent contact with Herman’s representatives and if Tanner can land him, I think he will be the next coach. If he cannot, then Smart is looking like a good bet to be next in line as things stand today.

One source emphasized that Tanner continues to be very impressed with Smart and the plan he has in place for how he will attack his first head coaching position. That plan includes hiring a very capable group of coaches and recruiters that would hit the ground running on getting the talent level where it needs to be in Columbia.

I was told Tanner hopes to make an announcement on the next head coach sometime between December 2 and December 12, with the goal of it being closer to the former. The decision makers are very aware of the dead period that begins in mid-December and would ideally like to give the new coaches the chance to take advantage of the time leading up to the dead period, which lasts a full month. The way it was put to me is “we have to stop the bleeding so we can start the healing process.”

As for the rumors that there is a handshake deal in place with Herman or any other candidate, I do not believe that to be the case. There is only so much Tanner can do right now as an athletic director, and he is not going to settle on a coach without really getting to know him directly, something that is next to impossible with the candidates he is pursuing being employed elsewhere.

I also believe we are rapidly approaching the “smoke screen” portion of the search. Over the next two weeks or so, I expect there to be some candidates emerge who are “grenades” released by people close to the Gamecock search, and that you will see some agents release names to their contacts in the media to try to garner a raise for the coaches they represent at their current institution. we will do our best to sift through everything and deliver the most accurate information possible.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Reading that article makes me believe the reporter at 247sports doesn't know anything and is merely guessing.

i dont mind strong but he better find a great OC. when he had teddy his offense wasnt even top 25....
Didn't have to be, his defense was top 5 in the country. At this point the defense needs more fixing than the offense and Charlie strong can do it from what he showed at Florida and especially at lousiville with Miami caliber athletes who looked like he closest thing to an old Miami defense as I have seen to date

Advertisement
i dont mind strong but he better find a great OC. when he had teddy his offense wasnt even top 25....
Didn't have to be, his defense was top 5 in the country. At this point the defense needs more fixing than the offense and Charlie strong can do it from what he showed at Florida and especially at lousiville with Miami caliber athletes who looked like he closest thing to an old Miami defense as I have seen to date

argue all you want, we need to score 30-40 a game to win a nc.

I don't disagree with that but the most pressing issue with Miami football right now is this defense

I don't disagree with that but the most pressing issue with Miami football right now is this defense

our guys are being coached by a bumble**** who gave up trying.

Advertisement
Reading that article makes me believe the reporter at 247sports doesn't know anything and is merely guessing.

That was a reporter? Sounded like any one of a bunch of our posters. Did sound like he was looking for something to fill space.

did strong take his OC from Louisville to Texas, I liked the O they ran at ville, i think Kaaya could do well in it

Advertisement
Coaching Scoop

Coaching Scoop - Strong one to watch?

I would like to first address the speculation that because things have been quiet on the Tom Herman front lately then that means he is less likely to be South Carolina’s next coach. I do not believe that to be the case based on people I have spoken with recently. I still believe Herman is the leading candidate and that dialogue with his representatives continues. Can I say that he will definitely be the guy? No, it is not to that point yet, but I do still believe he could very well be in the end.

As for why things have gotten quiet, I believe it is much more likely to be for positive reasons than negative. If talks had broken down and Herman was looking less likely, there would not be much reason to keep it quiet. However, if things were progressing nicely, there would be every reason to keep it on the hush with Herman and his current team being in the middle of an undefeated season and South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner trying to avoid doing anything that could be viewed as tampering.

As for other potential candidates, I do think the situation at Texas is one worth watching. The Longhorns lost 38-20 to West Virginia on Saturday, falling to 4-6 on the season with games against Texas Tech and Baylor remaining. I do not believe Charlie Strong is someone South Carolina is currently pursuing, but the equation could change if Texas decided to make a change. If Strong expressed interest in the Gamecock job, which I believe he would if he found out he was being forced out at Texas, I do think he would become a candidate. Strong and Tanner are good friends dating back to Strong’s time as defensive coordinator at South Carolina and have remained in communication over the years.

There was a time when Strong was at the top of Tanner’s candidate list when he was Lousiville’s head coach. A lot has transpired in Strong’s two years as Texas’ head coach, so it is hard to say how things would play out, but I will say he inherited a colossal mess in Austin and the results are not indicative of his abilities as a head coach. He is trying to build Texas’ program the right way and it has been harder than anyone imagined it would be.

I do expect the picture to become clearer over the course of the next two weeks or so with an announcement possibly coming the week after South Carolina’s season finale against Clemson.

Blake James need to get on the move now.... South Carolina/SC is already contacting Hermans representatives
- honestly think Texas would go hard at Herman if strong leaves
FIFY

Stop with that dumbazz USCeast ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back