UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT: Richt has the skillsets to be a great HC

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
The worst thing for a man in his career is to not, after many years, understand what he truly is and can do. The worst concession was to allow him to be the OC and the most damaging thing for Mark is for him not to have the self-awareness to recognize it.

If he became a Bobbah Bowden, then he could take us to the glory land! The problem is his pride and unwillingness and inability to see himself for who he truly is.

With Meyer gone and Saban nearing retirement, he has an opportunity to fill in that void in CFB and he can absolutely do it! But, will he...?

He should be raising money, kissing babies, recruiting, "aw shucksing" reporters, etc. Hire good people, treat them well, let them do what they do and go to a 30,000 foot view.

The most painful thing is knowing that it is within his power to right the ship and take his rightful mantle as HC/Overseer/Grand Marshall of the Parade/Guy. It's almost too late, but I still believe if he had an epiphany this offseason (VERY unlikely) he could become Tom Osbourne and experience real success before handing the mantle to someone else.

I know it's highly unlikely to happen, but since he won't be let go of (what I actually want) then this is what I'm left hoping for.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The worst thing for a man in his career is to not, after many years, understand what he truly is and can do. The worst concession was to allow him to be the OC and the most damaging thing for Mark is for him not to have the self-awareness to recognize it.

If he became a Bobbah Bowden, then he could take us to the glory land! The problem is his pride and unwillingness and inability to see himself for who he truly is.

With Meyer gone and Saban nearing retirement, he has an opportunity to fill in that void in CFB and he can absolutely do it! But, will he...?

He should be raising money, kissing babies, recruiting, "aw shucksing" reporters, etc. Hire good people, treat them well, let them do what they do and go to a 30,000 foot view.

The most painful thing is knowing that it is within his power to right the ship and take his rightful mantle as HC/Overseer/Grand Marshall of the Parade/Guy. It's almost too late, but I still believe if he had an epiphany this offseason (VERY unlikely) he could become Tom Osbourne and experience real success before handing the mantle to someone else.

I know it's highly unlikely to happen, but since he won't be let go of (what I actually want) then this is what I'm left hoping for.

Richt is one good O.C. away from being a real factor in CFB. Here is what I wrote in another thread. It starts with next year and with him making the proper decisions.

Hire an innovative O.C. who can play to our strengths and minimize our weaknesses. Other than that, Richt just needs to CEO. We have a very weak schedule next year (Florida, Central Michigan, Duke, Fla St, GT, Louisville, Virginia, VT, NC and Pitt) with three of those teams going through head coaching changes and most of the schools we play lose a ton of experience on both sides of the ball. 9-1 is absolutely doable not because we are world beaters but because all these teams listed will be below average to terrible except for Florida.

I don't care how we get to a good record but it must be done. In 2017, we had the 12th ranked recruiting class with a 9-4 record. In 2018, we had the 8th ranked recruiting class with a 10-3 record. This year is terrible and mostly because we had a horrible record of 7-5. We rebound with a 9-1 or even 10-0 record and we probably end up in the top 5 recruiting class especially with the commits we already have in surge '20.

Then he needs to do what great head coaches do, and stop resting on your perceived successes, and spend more time figuring out how to improve your shortcomings. He needs to do this in short order, so he can salvage this recruiting class from becoming a insurmountable hole in his roster. At present trajectory, it will become self-fulfilling. You can't pound the table that you need more out of your offensive line and then be within a month of the early signing period with no offense of lineman committed to your team.

Richt is a **** coach plain and simple. His evaluation of both players and coaches is sitting at about a 20% success rate right now. To be a Bobby Bowden or a CEO type coach you need to have excellent delegation and evaluation skills and the man is simply too slow and out of depth to have any of that. Couple that with the doormat that is Blake James and you realize we need a miracle.

He can’t be a a great CEO head coach because:

1. He’s old
2. Low energy
3. Low T
4. Disinterested
5. Recruiting at a garbage level
6. Can’t make consistently great hires
7. Can’t motivate

For this to work he needs to be Dabo. Richt isn’t some fires up hard *** motivator that kills it in recruiting and hires great staff and let’s them work.

He’s had a few great hires but overall he doesn’t make great hires and instead of doing so on offense and getting out of the way he’s busy humiliating himself. He won’t turn it over to more qualified people.

He’s missing most of the key attributes here.

Advertisement
Cmr is like our slurpers who rest on past accomplishments. These fans point to his 10 win season and his past record. We live in a different world now. Cmr needs to know that his past perceived success has no bearing on the future. No past success should buy you any job security. He needs to update his resume yearly and right now it looks horrendous. I hope he opens his eyes and sees this. But even bigger I hope the slurpers open their eyes and stop justifying the mess that is cmr bc of his PAST success

I actually agree. If he takes the approach Brian Kelly just took, he can be quite successful here.

But he won't make that move. The only pressure he's getting is coming from the fans. I guarantee you no one inside the school views this season as a failure.
I thought Kelly as well. Dude went 4-8 with an even more delusional fanbase than ours, but was able to turn it around by going back to the drawing board with everything and simply asking: "How can I do this better?"

needs to be face of program, raise money and recruit period. hire an innovative college guy and employ
spread principals to make it happen. Great Coachs's adapt.. Kelly, Saban look at Meyer adapt to Haskins this year.Can the Deacon do it ? its up to him !!! WE were BORING TO WATCH ON OFFENSE THIS YEAR, MAN IT WAS PAINFUL

I think the OP is correct, there are multiple related issues, with most of them having to do with CMR's responsibilities and time. He has actually been a good CEO; he got the IPF built, Hard Rock sold out, the talent restocked at most positions, etc. He has been good for fundraising, raising the awareness of the school in the community, rebuilding our relationship with the local schools, etc., but his time is spread too thin to also be the QB coach and OC. I do think the ship can be put quickly back on course with a good OC who will take advantages of our talent at the skill positions and minimize our OL deficiencies.

Advertisement

May be unpopular, but I totally agree. He's got the ability and he's a great "face of the program", he just needs to admit it's not working and find people who will make it work.

Simple does not always mean easy.

I thought Kelly as well. Dude went 4-8 with an even more delusional fanbase than ours, but was able to turn it around by going back to the drawing board with everything and simply asking: "How can I do this better?"

Which is amazing to me. We were calling him a corch this time last year, now he's in the playoff.

1. He’s old
2. Low energy
3. Low T
4. Disinterested
7. Can’t motivate

For this to work he needs to be Dabo. Richt isn’t some fires up hard *** motivator that kills it in recruiting and hires great staff and let’s them work.

He’s had a few great hires but overall he doesn’t make great hires and instead of doing so on offense and getting out of the way he’s busy humiliating himself. He won’t turn it over to more qualified people.

Regarding 1 and 2, I think last week was the first time I saw Belichick show any emotion on the sideline when he cursed at the Vikings qb. When have you seen Tony Dungy scream or curse on the sideline? He's another guy with a very calm demeanor. Heck his speech after winning the Super Bowl was a sermon about how without Jesus he would not have won.

Advertisement
This is crazy!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5992.PNG
    IMG_5992.PNG
    445.5 KB · Views: 61
I remember Golden after every game saying "We haf'ta tackle better." Like it takes special insight as a coach to notice that. Now, it's "We just haf"ta execute better." Um. You mean to tell me that if I run the same well-executed play over and over on each set of downs nobody's gonna catch on? Last year, we ran the RPO until they stopped it. This year, we ran the same play even if they stopped it on 1st down. That does not inspire confidence . . .

1. He’s old
2. Low energy
3. Low T
4. Disinterested
7. Can’t motivate

Where do you guys come up with this crap? ONE BAD YEAR DOES NOT CONSTITUTE RECRUITING AT A GARBAGE LEVEL. Again, surge 2017 (12th ranked nationally) Surge 2018 (8th ranked nationally).

Advertisement
Back