University of Miami owes its success to its football

A televised football game is a 3 hour commercial for your school seen by millions every week. If you're good, you get talked about in the media even when there is no game, and thus bringing even more attention to your school. Fielding a bad football team is just poor marketing/branding.

Advertisement
Some of you guys are just seeing the U thru the lens of Hurricane football fanatics. The U does not owe it's success to the football program. Stop the madness. When I enrolled in 1986 I had no idea about the Football team it just had one of the top programs in the country for what I wanted to study. The football team is just another part of the University that has built a great reputation over the years.

when will the university realize this and invest in the golden goose that got them to this position?

no football team = no interest in the school = no academic progress

alumni need to be the head of a movement to revitalize the football team, something that Michigan did.

I love the Canes and have been following their teams since I was a little kid, but it's a lot more than that today... The educational system is very good and their Medical school / campus is world class...

The only thing world class at miami is the baseball team

While this is completely true, the problem is that its kind of like the guy who buys his girl friend some fake *****. Yeah he was responsible for it but now that she's got em, she don't need his *** no-mo.

Until the next round of ACC TV contract negotiations, UM's management ilk really doesnt need a good football program.

I got my wife some and we both get to enjoy them! Just sayin.

As an alum, I think the present administration and BOT are a bunch of clueless, trust fund baby azzholes who don't have a clue about running a university's academic or athletic programs. Academically, the school is slipping out of the top 50 with the med school mess dragging everything else down. In athletics, we have a MORON as AD and more cheap hire morons as coaches in every program except men's and women's basketball.

The result: this so-called university sucks in every way imaginable except for the nice weather. It's a crummy commuter school with no future in serious academics or athletics. In fact, I predict the place will finally be turned over to FIU. The school is outrageously expensive for the sort of educational experience it offers. How much longer are people going to pay Princeton-like tuition for an education they could get for much less at most of the state's public colleges? It's not as bad as FSU, but it's not THAT much better, either.

I had hoped that Shalala and company would have raised the school's profile in every field when they first got started, but, sadly, I don't see much of a result anyone can be proud of from that bunch of posers.

It just sucks and I hate that this has happened, but it is what it is. Just so deeply disappointed in this school and the people that run it. No more of my hard earned dollars will go to this black hole of mindboggling incompetence.

Well put. I attended SunTan U. The football team made it THE U, which increase the value of my degrees many fold. Now Donna and BOT have made it Sunset U, which managed to reduce its value to less the the original. I am hard pressed to think of any world class brand being so mishandled. She and they were given a Rolls Royce and have been recasting it into Yugo. The bunch should be sued for breech of fiduciary duty, but only because I can't come up with a criminal charge. Maybe we should start a "Canes lives matter" movement.

Advertisement
Some of you guys are just seeing the U thru the lens of Hurricane football fanatics. The U does not owe it's success to the football program. Stop the madness. When I enrolled in 1986 I had no idea about the Football team it just had one of the top programs in the country for what I wanted to study. The football team is just another part of the University that has built a great reputation over the years.

What program was that? SunTan U had a couple good programs before football team trusted it into international fame. Ocean, law and medical schools good. But those seven digit TV game checks the independent U kept for itself funded a lot of new stuff. And the massive increase in enrollment certainly came from the football team and some from Ron's baseball monster.

When I told people I graduated from Miami before Howard's 1st NC the reaction was ALWAYS "oh". After JJ came on board that reaction change to "NO SH..!!!! You went to THE U?" The difference was priceless.

[]_[] swag;2269738 said:
Miami is the 8th largest metropolitan area in the country and has only 1 legitimate university. Most of the top 7 have at least five or six solid universities.

Most students at Miami are not there because of the football. I wish more were because it would make for a more exciting environment, but they're not.

More students are not there because it cost 30k a year. Please stop with the bull****. Football is exciting and certainly raises the profile and revenue but the majority of donors behind the scenes are industry professional not football fanboys.

Then with all due respect you're a ******* idiot.

Advertisement
Back