University Financing - If you want to educate yourself

CashMoneyCane

Mahoney 7
Warning: Long, boring to most and not football related.

Been reading a bunch of uninformed opinions about how much money the University has and what they are able to do with it for way too long. By and large from people who don't know anything about non-profit finance, especially as it relates to universities. Most of the below was written a little while back in response to discussion about increased salary for football staff. I know those of you who are ignorant to how this actually works will balk at all of the below, because god forbid you're wrong about something you believe without doing any actual research. So consider this for those of you who are genuinely interested and care to understand things a little better.

Like most corporations, finances are split up by operating departments. At the department level, everyone has a budget and a balance sheet. So the University as a whole has an operating budget, which is a combination of tuition/fees, income generated by the general endowment, and scholarships, grants, revenue from the hospital, etc. In many cases, there are specific sources of funds allocated to specific expenses. Endowed chairs, living scholars, naming donations for schools, etc. A person could give a piece of land and stipulate that it not be sold for 50 years. The important thing to note is that when a donation is made for a specific purpose (say, naming a building), those funds can ONLY be used for that purpose as a contractual obligation.

Basically, there is a general pool of funds upon which to draw income (for example, a donation to the general fund), and then funding (mostly monetary donations, but really could be anything of value) often though not always with stipulations. A donor could endow the head coaching position, in theory. The donor pays $X and the HC becomes the "Rich Guy That Gave a Bunch of Money Head Coach at The U." The Living Scholars program is a good example of a stipulated donation, in which a booster supports the athletic scholarship of one student.

Back to operations. The University has a budget, then the Athletic Dept, and then each sport. At basically every school that plays sports, the only sport that makes money is football. I'd guess Duke makes money off basketball, if anyone. There are Title IX stipulations dictating fair allocation of resources, which is an encumbrance on the football budget. Point being, the University allocates money to the Athletic Dept as a pool of funds, and will likely have some say as to how said funds are allocated to individual sports. As far as sponsorship (in reference to the Adidas deal), I don't know how Title IX impacts how those funds are allocated. Regardless, it stands to reason an argument can be made to allocate a greater percentage of sponsorship money to football, as it attracts by far the greatest audience, which is what the sponsor pays for.

As a general principle:

1) Tuition directly supports the salaries of the faculty and administrators.
2) The general endowment supports non-staff operating expenses and some development of property (new buildings, better facilities).
3) Donations primarily support advancement.

Further, because a university, like a corporation, has an infinite life (in theory), budgets are developed years in advance on a rolling basis. They are tweaked as we approach the actual year that is being forecasted. So today the budget for 2025 will look one way. Next year it will be updated, and it will continue to be updated until it is put in stone in 2024 for the 2025 fiscal year.

When discussing "the University opening up its purse strings," there may be some impact as to the general allocation of funds to the Athletic Dept, as well as specifically to football, within the parameters of Title IX. But what we are likely seeing is the confluence (**** you Al Golden) of 1) a WAY better AD than we've had in a long time (I'm sticking by this, as he led the charge for more funds allocated to the coaching staff), 2) some increase in University funds to football, 3) increased donations, 4) the Adidas deal, 5) increased ACC revenue and 6) other factors. Basically, what we use "The Administration" as a catch-all to cover.

Nowadays, we're back to talking about "The Administration" being "too cheap," not forcing Richt out due to buyout issues, etc. Given all of the issues above, it's nowhere near as simple as "let's just take some money from the endowment and buy Nick Saban an island." Non-profit finance does not work that way.

So, how do I know this? Feel free to send me a message questioning my knowledge and I'll be happy to share my background. Questions? Post 'em!

Advertisement
12D624EF-3DAD-4846-ABBC-07D3612FF6C0.jpeg

Forgot one piece out of this. Universities may now be taxed on their endowments if they just use them as an investment fund and do not put them to use. Will be interesting to see how that impacts all of the above. As someone else in not for profit tax/finance, that was a good write up.

Been reading a bunch of uninformed opinions about how much money the University has and what they are able to do with it for way too long. By and large from people who don't know anything about non-profit finance, especially as it relates to universities. Most of the below was written a little while back in response to discussion about increased salary for football staff. I know those of you who are ignorant to how this actually works will balk at all of the below, because god forbid you're wrong about something you believe without doing any actual research. So consider this for those of you who are genuinely interested and care to understand things a little better.

Like most corporations, finances are split up by operating departments. At the department level, everyone has a budget and a balance sheet. So the University as a whole has an operating budget, which is a combination of tuition/fees, income generated by the general endowment, and scholarships, grants, revenue from the hospital, etc. In many cases, there are specific sources of funds allocated to specific expenses. Endowed chairs, living scholars, naming donations for schools, etc. A person could give a piece of land and stipulate that it not be sold for 50 years. The important thing to note is that when a donation is made for a specific purpose (say, naming a building), those funds can ONLY be used for that purpose as a contractual obligation.

Basically, there is a general pool of funds upon which to draw income (for example, a donation to the general fund), and then funding (mostly monetary donations, but really could be anything of value) often though not always with stipulations. A donor could endow the head coaching position, in theory. The donor pays $X and the HC becomes the "Rich Guy That Gave a Bunch of Money Head Coach at The U." The Living Scholars program is a good example of a stipulated donation, in which a booster supports the athletic scholarship of one student.

Back to operations. The University has a budget, then the Athletic Dept, and then each sport. At basically every school that plays sports, the only sport that makes money is football. I'd guess Duke makes money off basketball, if anyone. There are Title IX stipulations dictating fair allocation of resources, which is an encumbrance on the football budget. Point being, the University allocates money to the Athletic Dept as a pool of funds, and will likely have some say as to how said funds are allocated to individual sports. As far as sponsorship (in reference to the Adidas deal), I don't know how Title IX impacts how those funds are allocated. Regardless, it stands to reason an argument can be made to allocate a greater percentage of sponsorship money to football, as it attracts by far the greatest audience, which is what the sponsor pays for.

As a general principle:

2) The general endowment supports non-staff operating expenses and some development of property (new buildings, better facilities).

Further, because a university, like a corporation, has an infinite life (in theory), budgets are developed years in advance on a rolling basis. They are tweaked as we approach the actual year that is being forecasted. So today the budget for 2025 will look one way. Next year it will be updated, and it will continue to be updated until it is put in stone in 2024 for the 2025 fiscal year.

When discussing "the University opening up its purse strings," there may be some impact as to the general allocation of funds to the Athletic Dept, as well as specifically to football, within the parameters of Title IX. But what we are likely seeing is the confluence (**** you Al Golden) of 1) a WAY better AD than we've had in a long time (I'm sticking by this, as he led the charge for more funds allocated to the coaching staff), 2) some increase in University funds to football, 3) increased donations, 4) the Adidas deal, 5) increased ACC revenue and 6) other factors. Basically, what we use "The Administration" as a catch-all to cover.

Nowadays, we're back to talking about "The Administration" being "too cheap," not forcing Richt out due to buyout issues, etc. Given all of the issues above, it's nowhere near as simple as "let's just take some money from the endowment and buy Nick Saban an island." Non-profit finance does not work that way.

So, how do I know this? Feel free to send me a message questioning my knowledge and I'll be happy to share my background. Questions? Post 'em!

I keep telling yall we need a “foundation” its the way to play the game

Good information but I disagree only football makes money at most schools. College basketball is a giant revenue producer.

I'd be shocked if our basketball program didn't make money.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Forgot one piece out of this. Universities may now be taxed on their endowments if they just use them as an investment fund and do not put them to use. Will be interesting to see how that impacts all of the above. As someone else in not for profit tax/finance, that was a good write up.

Was not aware of this but not surprising considering Harvard's endowment has it's own management COMPANY and could probably fund the operations of the school as it stands today for decades.

My guess is this would only apply to the few truly huge endowments.

Good information but I disagree only football makes money at most schools. College basketball is a giant revenue producer.

I'd be shocked if our basketball program didn't make money.

Have to distinguish between "generates revenues" and "profits." Yes, basketball generates revenues. Does it generate substantial profit? Probably not.

Advertisement
someone give me the hood version this too much for my tiny brain

1) OP is correct and all points
2) Funding streams are absolutely "tied up" to one specific function vs another--there is some flexibility to move funds from one or another, but it isn't as timely or as much as the outsiders believe it to be
3) Miami doesn't have a huge base of athletic supports/club like other "dropping bags" schools
4) For perspective, Texas has their own private TV network and source of revenue no other school has (to my knowledge)...and it goes on and on from there

As a general principle:

+10.

Nice work and well laid out.

I h
Was not aware of this but not surprising considering Harvard's endowment has it's own management COMPANY and could probably fund the operations of the school as it stands today for decades.

My guess is this would only apply to the few truly huge endowments.

I honestly don’t know the specifics beyond you are open to the tax is you have more than 500 students and an endowment of more than $250k or 300k per student (forget which). So it is a pretty sizable number of universities that are susceptible to it. I think this is the reason behind NYU giving med students free tuition and similar stories. It was part of last year’s tax reform.

Advertisement
Have to distinguish between "generates revenues" and "profits." Yes, basketball generates revenues. Does it generate substantial profit? Probably not.

Here's an article showing estimated expenses by school. Most ACC Schools reported about $11-$14 million in expenses with another showing ACC schools receiving $27 million each. And that's before the launch of the ACC Network.

Revenues have really exploded in that sport in the last decade or so.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/201...ics-college-basketball-2016-gonzaga-mid-major

https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...r-boost-with-2019-launch-of-tv-channel-082918

I understand everything you said but in a more reasonable manner, let me ask you again a previous question. If an athletic department has been mediocre for over 15 years, primarily due to hiring low level coaches and not paying very much, and truly wants to adequately compete, how do they not properly plan the budget and reassess annually? More so, knowing current salaries and properly planning in case of failure, to pay a contract (even worse after not learning from 4 premature extensions) that they negotiated in advance?

So if Manny would've stayed and we ponied up 1.5 mill could we also pay for an OC.
Yes or No.
In other words do we have the financing to pay the same amount that the teams in the playoffs pay for their staffs.

Advertisement
Back