Underrecruited Players in the Superbowl

It's always interesting to see things like this, even though it's becoming less and less common. Those guys came out 10+ years ago.

It’s really not less common. Kids are going to always be overlooked and we’ll always see someone less heralded become a star. That’s just my opinion.

Advertisement
U have to find them that's the hard part. U can never tell who's going to get stronger how someone will grow (pause). Impossible to tell some just get lucky and land these dudes
Khalil Mack has to be the all time greatest under rated player. Basketball player who didn't play football till junior year and then got hurt.

His HS coach was telling everyone Khalil was going to be great, but nobody listened except for University of Buffalo.

I believe Miami scouted him but didn't offer. I think there was one other major program that was going to offer then changed their mind.

Khalil Mack has to be the all time greatest under rated player. Basketball player who didn't play football till junior year and then got hurt.

His HS coach was telling everyone Khalil was going to be great, but nobody listened except for University of Buffalo.

I believe Miami scouted him but didn't offer. I think there was one other major program that was going to offer then changed their mind.

It happens.

****, we signed Ray Lewis because everyone else gave up on the possibility of him qualifying. Imagine what might have happened if Miami didn't sign him late.

Advertisement
Poor list to say the least but the argument still has a ton of merit. Not only were Donald and Kupp underrated/under recruited, Tyler Higbee went to WKU, Austin Corbett was a zero star recruit who went to Nevada, Havenstein and Edwards were both ranked in the 600’s yet did what most Wisconsin OL do, make it to the league.

On defense Troy Reeder went to Deleware, Ernest Jones was ranked in the 900’s even though he went to South Carolina, Darius Williams went to UAB.

I haven’t gone through the Bengals starters but just from the rams it shows evaluations matter just as much as grabbing a high ratio of 4/5 stars. Wisconsin for instance has maybe a dozen OL in the league and most were 3 star in high school.

Poor list to say the least but the argument still has a ton of merit. Not only were Donald and Kupp underrated/under recruited, Tyler Higbee went to WKU, Austin Corbett was a zero star recruit who went to Nevada, Havenstein and Edwards were both ranked in the 600’s yet did what most Wisconsin OL do, make it to the league.

On defense Troy Reeder went to Deleware, Ernest Jones was ranked in the 900’s even though he went to South Carolina, Darius Williams went to UAB.

I haven’t gone through the Bengals starters but just from the rams it shows evaluations matter just as much as grabbing a high ratio of 4/5 stars. Wisconsin for instance has maybe a dozen OL in the league and most were 3 star in high school.

Disingenuous again.

Again..Aaron Donald was a high 3 star from Pitt that went to the local school. I dont think he was underrated. Based off his size coming in as a high school player he was rated correctly...but also locked in on the early local school.

Ernest Jones had a ton of sec offers and a Oregon offer.

Troy Reeder went to PENN STATE...he transferred to Delaware. He is the older brother from DNOFRIO gate when they said "is hje elite at playing safety" lol

The star rankings are a bit funny..as alot of it does with fan subscriptions, camps, and even what the percentage of "star rankings" are from their in state.

Evaluations do matter..but alot of times i JUST FOLLOW THE REAL OFFERS on a guy. For example a guy like Denzel Perryman might of been rated a 2 star or anything but dude had offers from the BIG 3. I remember when that use to be the standard in state...Is he recruited by the big 3?...now with all 3 having evaluated so bad it doesnt even matter as much.

OL is the HARDEST Position to look at ranking or maybe even evaluate. That said Wisconsin does a good job with their evals........and Development. Because they are able to redshirt guys on the ol yearly. They redshirt high 4 stars at times.

Disingenuous again.

Again..Aaron Donald was a high 3 star from Pitt that went to the local school. I dont think he was underrated. Based off his size coming in as a high school player he was rated correctly...but also locked in on the early local school.

Ernest Jones had a ton of sec offers and a Oregon offer.

Troy Reeder went to PENN STATE...he transferred to Delaware. He is the older brother from DNOFRIO gate when they said "is hje elite at playing safety" lol

The star rankings are a bit funny..as alot of it does with fan subscriptions, camps, and even what the percentage of "star rankings" are from their in state.

Evaluations do matter..but alot of times i JUST FOLLOW THE REAL OFFERS on a guy. For example a guy like Denzel Perryman might of been rated a 2 star or anything but dude had offers from the BIG 3. I remember when that use to be the standard in state...Is he recruited by the big 3?...now with all 3 having evaluated so bad it doesnt even matter as much.

OL is the HARDEST Position to look at ranking or maybe even evaluate. That said Wisconsin does a good job with their evals........and Development. Because they are able to redshirt guys on the ol yearly. They redshirt high 4 stars at times.

Point of my post was to point out where kids ended up at. Ernest Jones didn’t have offers from the top SEC programs and Oregon was the closest offer he got to a perennial top 10-15 program. He wound up going to a South Carolina who has been in mediocrity for awhile now. He’s not exactly proof of a guy who was considered “elite” coming out of high school.

It has been stated many times that Donald’s top 2 offers were from Pitt and Rutgers.

I agree with the Von Miller and McPhereson arguments of them being underrated are BS.

My point is evaluating players is just as important as the highest star rankings.

Eddie Jackson IIRC didn’t have an elite offer sheet with the exception of that Bama offer. We all know of him now.

Advertisement
Point of my post was to point out where kids ended up at. Ernest Jones didn’t have offers from the top SEC programs and Oregon was the closest offer he got to a perennial top 10-15 program. He wound up going to a South Carolina who has been in mediocrity for awhile now. He’s not exactly proof of a guy who was considered “elite” coming out of high school.

It has been stated many times that Donald’s top 2 offers were from Pitt and Rutgers.

I agree with the Von Miller and McPhereson arguments of them being underrated are BS.

My point is evaluating players is just as important as the highest star rankings.

Eddie Jackson IIRC didn’t have an elite offer sheet with the exception of that Bama offer. We all know of him now.
We all new of Eddie Jackson LOCALLY. But he didnt have the ranking because he literally only played 1 year of football. Again he was another one with a UM,FSU,UF offer. ..an if he was called underrecruited or something it would be a complete lie as well.

Where do the big time kids from Donald's area go to?. ...Pitt or Penn State. He had a Pitt offer. They make it seem like Pitt is a sh*t school. Darelle Revis fromt he area went there as well. He was 6'1 260-270 COMING OUT HE WOULD HAVE TO GO TO A SCHEME FIT. Pitt was that...in fact they have a kid similar now that was begging to go to um from our pipeline school..Calijah Kancey that is similar.

Your bolded im 100 percent in agreement with

Advertisement
Back