Coaching Underperforming Recruiters on Staff (aka Deadweight according to Feldman)

Didnt Mario hand pick all these ********?! If EVERYONE is deadweight, what does that say about the guy that hired them?! This guy was given a blank check and he assembled the guys that he interviewed 100 times to put together..

Mario might need to look in the mirror.. If its one thing I can understand, but its everything right now.. Blown out by MTSU at home, By Duke at home, Defense not working, they came in your house and took your remote, offense is trash, this is all Mario

And if strong was mailing it in and he recruited those backers my gawd..

Advertisement
pretty insane that after 5-7 and basically no one on field besides maybe a guy or two meeting Mario’s standard for recruiting they still managed to land the 7th ranked class.

If they start winning and getting aggressive recruiters across the board…**** is going to be crazy.

I wonder how much NIL played a role in the recruiting success this year

When the staff was brought on last year, some of the coaches had a well deserved reputation for being great recruiters. Then a few months back, @Cribby dropped a bombshell, he said something to the effect that this was a "Meh" recruiting staff. Only Mario and DVD were pulling their weight recruiting. That's right. Everyone except Mario and DVD.

Clear Recruiting Upgrades

• Nicholson over Strong (based on current results, not previous year's reputation)

No problem with Nicholson...But look what Strong just brought in lol. Pretty clear he still has "it"

The issue isn't where we finished in the rankings. The issue is we did it with most of the staff not contributing. If everyone was living up to expectations, the results likely would've been better.
Probably not. Mario + Ruiz $ keeps us in the game with anyone. Position coaches are always moving around, I don’t think it’s as big as most here make to be

If we had a different oc going into ESD yes.

Advertisement
When the staff was brought on last year, some of the coaches had a well deserved reputation for being great recruiters. Then a few months back, @Cribby dropped a bombshell, he said something to the effect that this was a "Meh" recruiting staff. Only Mario and DVD were pulling their weight recruiting. That's right. Everyone except Mario and DVD.

everyone GIF

Found Cribby's quotes:

I don’t think there’s anybody on staff I’d lose sleep over if they departed. Mario is the key cog and TVD / Cooney on the off field staff. It’s actually a quite meh recruiting staff.
Remember when somebody here said” there was only a couple people carrying their weight with recruiting and it’s surprising a Mario staff would lack great recruiters”
I was shocked by this staff when it was announced. I expected an avengers type recruiting staff , It ended up being Mario and the averagers

I was scratching my head at that one, even to the point of wondering if Cribby knew what he was talking about. Just too many alpha recruiters on this staff for that to be true. Subsequent to that, I've gotten confirmation that Cribby was 100% correct. And then Feldman drops the "dead weight" description of the staff. We know that what Feldman reports is coming from Mario. He doesn't make stuff up from unnamed sources.

My bad Cribby, I didn't want to believe it was true, but it was. Sometimes the medicine doesn't taste good, but you've got to take it anyway.

In this thread, we'll track the new coaching hires and see how they compare from a recruiting standpoint.

• Nicholson over Strong (based on current results, not previous year's reputation)

Push

• TBD

Clear Recruiting Downgrades

• TBD
The biggest thing from all of this that I have gotten is that we overrate our staffs. We were all convinced we had a top 3, at least, staff in the conference. As it turns out they were all replaceable. So keeping that in mind, the new staff members fall in the show me category.

Advertisement

everyone GIF

Found Cribby's quotes:

I don’t think there’s anybody on staff I’d lose sleep over if they departed. Mario is the key cog and TVD / Cooney on the off field staff. It’s actually a quite meh recruiting staff.
Remember when somebody here said” there was only a couple people carrying their weight with recruiting and it’s surprising a Mario staff would lack great recruiters”
I was shocked by this staff when it was announced. I expected an avengers type recruiting staff , It ended up being Mario and the averagers

I was scratching my head at that one, even to the point of wondering if Cribby knew what he was talking about. Just too many alpha recruiters on this staff for that to be true. Subsequent to that, I've gotten confirmation that Cribby was 100% correct. And then Feldman drops the "dead weight" description of the staff. We know that what Feldman reports is coming from Mario. He doesn't make stuff up from unnamed sources.

My bad Cribby, I didn't want to believe it was true, but it was. Sometimes the medicine doesn't taste good, but you've got to take it anyway.

In this thread, we'll track the new coaching hires and see how they compare from a recruiting standpoint.

Push

• TBD

Clear Recruiting Downgrades

• TBD

I remember Cribby saying that and then when whats his name said the same thing on Manny's show it made me think back to Cribby comments. Great post

Advertisement
I kinda got the impression that Steele and Strong had "mailed it in" and are coasting towards retirement, which is always a potential issue when you hire guys that late in their career. You’re starting to see a trend lately towards younger, hungrier coaching staffs. On a side note, when talking about recruiting, why does nobody ever mention the lackluster job that Big Joe has been doing. The recruiting at the DT position has been absolutely deplorable.

Didnt Mario hand pick all these ********?! If EVERYONE is deadweight, what does that say about the guy that hired them?! This guy was given a blank check and he assembled the guys that he interviewed 100 times to put together..

Mario might need to look in the mirror.. If its one thing I can understand, but its everything right now.. Blown out by MTSU at home, By Duke at home, Defense not working, they came in your house and took your remote, offense is trash, this is all Mario

And if strong was mailing it in and he recruited those backers my gawd..

To be fair, I feel Mario realizes all of this. The staff hires reflect a change in mentality IMO. On one hand, Mario wtf? On the other hand I am glad to see Mario adapt.

Probably not. Mario + Ruiz $ keeps us in the game with anyone. Position coaches are always moving around, I don’t think it’s as big as most here make to be

If we had a different oc going into ESD yes.

I disagree. One or two guys (and DVD being very limited off field) pulling last year's class is ridiculous (in a good way). Key positions are almost specifically for recruiting purposes.

You're right though that Ruiz + Mario landed the class but the other poster isn't wrong assuming the class is likely better with more recruiters.

Advertisement
Have heard from a couple sources that Strong's recruiting wasn't meeting Mario's expectations, some might even say mailing it in.

I'm not saying his efforts were up to par, but the LB haul last year was impressive. But I also don't know the extent of his involvement in being their primary recruiter or whoever had their region

Imagine getting a top 7 class and complaining about it after one of the worst seasons in school history and 22 years of mediocrity! 🤦🏾‍♂️
Imagine looking at a recruiting ranking and thinking that tells you anything about the recruiting staff and their work ethic. Our HC was having to do way too much with that aspect. Mario is viewed as the best in the game for a reason but as a whole this was a bad staff in that dept.

If most of this staff returned you wouldn’t have seen a top 7 class , it’s about building relationships and that wasn’t going on minus a couple people.

The biggest thing from all of this that I have gotten is that we overrate our staffs. We were all convinced we had a top 3, at least, staff in the conference. As it turns out they were all replaceable. So keeping that in mind, the new staff members fall in the show me category.
FACTS. Especially when hired by same guy who had blank check and took months just to fuvk up all his picks.. Guy seems dam near clueless..

Have heard from a couple sources that Strong's recruiting wasn't meeting Mario's expectations, some might even say mailing it in.

I mean when I’m **** near 65 I’m probably not going to want to work very hard either.

Mario is very demanding of his staff the same way Kirby/Saban are.

Hopefully these new hires are ready to work.

Advertisement
Back