Underclassman Spotlight: 2022 DE Jamaal Johnson

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
2022 defensive end Jamaal Johnson from Chaminade Madonna is one of the most athletic and physically developed sophomores in South Florida right now. Johnson is listed at 6’2’’ 250 pounds but has great agility and burst off the line. Despite just being a sophomore, Johnson is one of the leaders on Chaminade's defensive line. Johnson had nine tackles, two of them coming for a loss, and a sack during his first two games of the year against Miami Christian and Carol City.

I had a chance to watch Johnson play against Carol City, and I did not know who he was going into the game, but everyone watching knew 99 was a force by halftime. Johnson was almost unblockable the few times that Carol City dropped back to pass and he was extremely active in the run game. He always seemed to be around the ball. Carol City ran a few option plays Johnson’s way to try to get him in space and make him uncomfortable, but Johnson was up to the challenge. Johnson is not a small player, but he had no issue moving and making tackles in the open field.

Projecting forward, Johnson may not have the length to be a defensive end in college. He is only 6’2’’ and does not have exceptionally long arms to make up for the lack of height. Not to say that Johnson might not grow another inch or two, but even if he doesn’t, his future still looks bright. Johnson has the strength to make a move inside and be a very athletic 3-technique at the next level. Right now, it is wait and see mode as to where Johnson will end up, but he is for sure a big-time talent.

Advertisement
Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade-Madonna High School Class of 2022 DE Jamaal Johnson
lists 12 early scholarship offers including Miami.

Also on his list: the likes of Pittsburgh, UCF, Minnesota, Georgia Tech and Kentucky.

He picked up the UM offer in January from Ephraim Banda.

“I’m planning to visit this spring,” he says.

So where do the Canes fit in for him?

“Miami fits in I’d say way at the top of my list,” Johnson said.

Then he pauses.

“Actually I’d say Miami’s No. 2 on the list and Pitt’s at the top,” Johnson says.

Why is that?

“Just the relationship with the coaches, seeing how they work the D line,” he said.

It’s close in his mind with both programs, and Johnson adds that “Miami’s always been a dream school of mine, it’s close to home. You can just feel the love and energy from all the coaches.”

Johnson grew up a Cane fan, saying “You have to root for the home team.” Which makes it a bit odd that he has Pitt atop his list. Asked to expand more on that, Johnson simply said, “That’s a good question, it’s just about recruiting, the relationship with the players.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back