UNC transfer Devontez Walker denied too - NCAA changed their mind, he's eligible now

Advertisement
Here is his comments earlier this year:

View attachment 250075
dikembe mutombo no GIF

Ncaa is trying to hold on to whatever power they have left. They will not grant multiple transfer waivers unless there is something major and real.
Im ok with that but they are applying stricter rules they passed after he enrolled at UNC

Advertisement
****, even the sick Mom and Grandma story didn't work this time, NCAA posterizing on it's death bed.

Here is his comments earlier this year:

View attachment 250075
Fast forward to yesterday and he puts out a statement about only wanting to transfer to UNC to be close to his ailing grandmother. Problem is that is not mentioned in the above statement from the Spring when he initially transfers to UNC as a reason he feels he will be granted an exemption. Kids need to be smarter about the public statements they make.

Not even sure if other article mentioned that Walker was 2019 recruit and signed with ETSU but was grayshirted after he tore his ACL

Yep. Recruited and signed by Josh Downs' (former UNC receiver) dad Gary Downs and then UNC leveraged that connection and relationship to land him from the portal.

Not sure how people are arguing that a kid at his 4th school in 4 years (Tez) and another at his 3rd school in 3 years (Jackson) should get any kind of waiver.

You let these guys play then there's absolutely no grip on the transfer thing at all (barely is anyway) and you might as well scrap the portal and scrap the transfer windows and just wait and see in mid-August or even just wait until the first game to see who is on who's roster.

Advertisement
Ncaa is trying to hold on to whatever power they have left. They will not grant multiple transfer waivers unless there is something major and real.
Not only that, it appears the NCAA is tired of the Mama & Grandma are sick excuse.

Not only that, it appears the NCAA is tired of the Mama & Grandma are sick excuse.
There can't be that many mamas and grandmas that are sick. I think one free pass before graduation, and one after graduation should be acceptable.

Advertisement
What is it about most, if not all, sports organizations that are corrupt and inconsistent in tapplying their rules---- NCAA, FIFA, US swimming, US women's gymnastics, etc.?

Advertisement
"Walker committed to UNC out of the transfer portal in December 2022 and, as Brown has said, enrolled in classes on Jan. 9. The NCAA announced a rule change guidelines two days later on Jan. 11 in regard to two-time transfers."

Look, the 'mental health' thing gets thrown around way too much and is an insult to people that really have issues and I am all for changing the NCAA rules to try to reign in all of the transferring, but in this situation the NCAA is try to enforce a policy that was not even announced until after the kid had already transferred.

I also think that the NCAA is too often blamed when the reality is that their hands are tied, but this time they have autonomy and are being incredibly boneheaded about it. Thankfully it looks like they are coming to their senses...

Fast forward to yesterday and he puts out a statement about only wanting to transfer to UNC to be close to his ailing grandmother. Problem is that is not mentioned in the above statement from the Spring when he initially transfers to UNC as a reason he feels he will be granted an exemption. Kids need to be smarter about the public statements they make.

Absolute truth.

"Walker committed to UNC out of the transfer portal in December 2022 and, as Brown has said, enrolled in classes on Jan. 9. The NCAA announced a rule change guidelines two days later on Jan. 11 in regard to two-time transfers."

Look, the 'mental health' thing gets thrown around way too much and is an insult to people that really have issues and I am all for changing the NCAA rules to try to reign in all of the transferring, but in this situation the NCAA is try to enforce a policy that was not even announced until after the kid had already transferred.

I also think that the NCAA is too often blamed when the reality is that their hands are tied, but this time they have autonomy and are being incredibly boneheaded about it. Thankfully it looks like they are coming to their senses...

Look, I understand the "technicalities" of this argument, but it's still BULL****. Everyone knew that the NCAA was going to crack down on waivers, and nobody should be able to argue "but I enrolled two days early". It's garbage. The first day of UM classes are LATER than the first day of classes at state schools (Miami is private), so would that mean that a kid who goes to a state school (with a slightly longer semester) can have eligibility, while a kid who enrolls on January 13th does not?

Go by the SEMESTER. The rule was intended to apply for the SPRING SEMESTER, and everyone knew it was coming, so let's not get cute with "but but but I enrolled two days before the well-known rule change that was telegraphed well in advance".

Advertisement
Back