Unbelievable

Advertisement
My favorite Cane and one of the reasons I'm so irritated with our LB play this year. Morgan played the position so well.
We haven't seen LB play even remotely resembling what UM LBs are expected to play like for years. This begs the question....When was the last time anyone remembers great LB play at UM? Who was the last great LB to play here? Sure I would kill to have Quarterman and Pinckney right now but I'm talking great LB play. Was it Denzel Perryman? Sean Spence?

He didn't blanket that penn state receiver when they burned our *** for something like an 80 yard play at the ob to beat us
Rumph was trailing Fields and right in his back pocket but the throw was absolutely perfect. Rumph actually managed to recover quite nicely but again it was a perfect throw. It was Reed who blew the coverage as he was too late coming over to help over the top. IIRC Butch benched Reed for the 1st half of the next game.

Not sure what to make of these 40 times on this list. Rumph and several other Cane DBs ran a faster 40 than HOF Ed Reed. Plus, players like Sam Shields never ran the 40 at the combine, but would have easily made this list if they had
Speed is a small part of football my guy
U don’t have to be fast to be a great ball player

The ones that stand out for me:

Streeter, Hankerson - those guys timed much faster than they played, imo
Hester, McGahee - proof that fast enough is fast enough - it's about acceleration and change of speed and balance0
Olsen outran KWII; Morgan timed faster than DJ - surprising, IMO.
Reed, Gore - living proof that people make too much out of these metrics. Canton.
McCarth outran McIntosh, Gooden, Njoku - surprised. Would have thought Gooden was fastest of that group, followed by Rocky, Njoku then CC based on on-field.
P. O'Donnell, Vogel - pretty **** fast for punters
McDougle at under 4.7 is amazing for his size and position

Advertisement
The ones that stand out for me:

Streeter, Hankerson - those guys timed much faster than they played, imo
Hester, McGahee - proof that fast enough is fast enough - it's about acceleration and change of speed and balance0
Olsen outran KWII; Morgan timed faster than DJ - surprising, IMO.
Reed, Gore - living proof that people make too much out of these metrics. Canton.
McCarth outran McIntosh, Gooden, Njoku - surprised. Would have thought Gooden was fastest of that group, followed by Rocky, Njoku then CC based on on-field.
P. O'Donnell, Vogel - pretty **** fast for punters
McDougle at under 4.7 is amazing for his size and position

Hit the nail on the head with the first two points. Elite acceleration and change of direction is far more relevant in today’s game than your 40 time.

Advertisement
Wait, why are you suprised? Cb's supposed to be your fastest defenders on the field. Also, Rumph (All-American) was that dude in college. He blanketed his receivers.
Nah....Buchannon was the shutdown corner...Rumph was the better tackler....

We haven't seen LB play even remotely resembling what UM LBs are expected to play like for years. This begs the question....When was the last time anyone remembers great LB play at UM? Who was the last great LB to play here? Sure I would kill to have Quarterman and Pinckney right now but I'm talking great LB play. Was it Denzel Perryman? Sean Spence?
Vilma....

Rumph was trailing Fields and right in his back pocket but the throw was absolutely perfect. Rumph actually managed to recover quite nicely but again it was a perfect throw. It was Reed who blew the coverage as he was too late coming over to help over the top. IIRC Butch benched Reed for the 1st half of the next game.
Rumph slipped on the wet field....Reed was in a bad position....Morgan (on a LBer blitz) hit the QB as he threw the ball...

The Defense on that play was terrible....Thats on Schiano...

Advertisement
Not sure what to make of these 40 times on this list. Rumph and several other Cane DBs ran a faster 40 than HOF Ed Reed. Plus, players like Sam Shields never ran the 40 at the combine, but would have easily made this list if they had
Al Shipman would've whipped all of them....

Far left is the Fastest Cane for 40yds ever.....

Attachments

• 119420750_3686032728097542_77893370896730136_n.png
    119420750_3686032728097542_77893370896730136_n.png
    495.8 KB · Views: 11
Advertisement
for what? he was what he was if he never hit his ceiling NFL coaches would of made sure he did and he didnt

He barely sniffed the field the field his freshmen/soph years. Then he had a breakout Junior year and left to be drafted in the 6th round. With his measurables and a comparable senior year he would've definitely been drafted higher and had a better chance at sticking in the league. I'm not saying he was the next Andre Johnson but with a little more seasoning he certainly could've made more noise. He got injured early and forgotten because he didn't have a body work and when you're a 6th rnd pick you're more expendable.

Good stuff. Surprised to see Dan Morgan was that quick. What a machine he was.

The most underrated player in Hurricane history IMO.
He was one of the best lb’s I ever saw at um ,if not the best , maybe the best athlete at the position too. Don’t let the pigment fool ya , dude was explosive.

I heard a Vilma story where he was talking about when he showed up thinking he was a big deal , then saw Morgan running at the same speed but 40 pounds bigger lol.

Regarding Dan Morgan: Man holds the record for most combined tackles in a Super Bowl with 18. That record has been standing for 16 years. He got signed to be the Director of Player Personnel in Buffalo and its safe to say that they are doing a pretty good job over there with the talent they have assembled.

Regarding 40 time: Most overrated measurement ever. Jerry Rice ran a slow 40 and we all know what he did afterwards. Anyone can run fast in shorts. Not all of them can run fast in pads. Tyreek ran a 4.25 and that doesnt even demonstrate the fact that the dude is the fastest player in the NFL by a country mile.

Advertisement
Back