UM's fastest man Lingard working to get the details right at RB

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Since he came in during the spring semester, freshman RB Lorenzo Lingard was immediately the #3 back in Miami’s rotation. However, after struggling with pass protection in the first fall scrimmage on Saturday, he was moved down to 5th on the depth chart behind Trayone Gray and Robert Burns.

“Yeah, I need to work on [pass protection],” Lingard said. “It’s just a matter of picking up the right guy that I’m supposed to have and pretty much just whatever the line don’t pick up.”

What else do the coaches tell him he needs to do to move back up the depth chart?

“Just be consistent,” Lingard said. “I have great plays here and there, but I have to do things like that more often.”

Although Lingard said it helped him mentally to graduate from high school early and enroll in Miami in for spring ball, it has been a whirlwind the last few weeks in comparison.

“It did help, but things picked up a lot since fall camp and first game of the season prep,” Lingard said. “I’ve picked up a lot since I’ve been here, but now it’s just a matter of being consistent.”

Speaking of things he’s picked up at Miami, Lingard says he’s learned plenty from working behind UM’s #1 and #2 tailbacks in Travis Homer and DeeJay Dallas.

“Patience from Travis and reading the hole and DeeJay has great footwork,” Lingard said. “I try to take pieces from the whole when I watch them and put two and two together.”

At 6’0” 202 pounds, Lingard ran the fastest timed 40 in team testing over the off-season with a 4.27 40 yard dash. That size-speed combination is absolutely elite at any level, but Lingard tries to keep himself grounded so he can focus on ironing out the rest of his game.

“I don’t rub it in anybody’s face, I’m pretty humble about it,” Lingard said on being the fastest man on the team. “I’d say [my speed] really comes in handy catching the ball in space or on a go-route.”

The Hurricanes’ offensive line has been a problem spot in the past few years, especially in terms of run blocking, but the coaches have reported progress these first few weeks of fall camp.

“Coach (Stacy) Searels has done a great job with the guys,” Lingard said on the OL. “They have tiny cracks here and there, but I take advantage when I get a window and get what I can. They’re working hard and coming along.”

When asked who the hardest hitter on the defense has been so far at UM, Lingard didn’t hesitate to answer.

“Shaq Quarterman… Let’s just say I’ve been hit.”

Any predictions on week 1 vs. LSU?

“Man, it’s going to be a blowout, we going to win. The LSU moms are going to be packing their bags early and telling their sons ‘It’s okay, Johnny’, all that stuff.”

Advertisement

“Man, it’s going to be a blowout, we going to win. The LSU moms are going to be packing their bags early and telling their sons ‘It’s okay, Johnny’, all that stuff.”

Old school cane mentality.

He made a little high pitched voice when he said ‘It’s okay, Johnny’, I was dying

Yeah definitely!

Last edited:

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂!! 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Advertisement
Love it. Kid staying humble and grounded. He will get his time. This is how the old Canes did it. Get in line and wait for your time to shine. A couple of good seasons at UM you’ll be in the League. Love the shot at the end of the interview as well.

It’s like saying my big brother is coming to whip your asss.

Sounds like an intelligent, well spoken young man. Can't wait to see him take one to the house!

Advertisement
Love our RB room. Lingard and Homer work themselves to the bone. Deejay has a great attitude. Cam seems cool AF. Burns is a bit of an unknown.

Loads of talent, work ethic, and great personalities.

If he his touches are limited because of pass pro, get him on special teams as a return man on kickoffs (punt return might be tough because have to catch in traffic) . Get him on the field somehow. Running a 4.27 he just needs to have the special teams give him a chance (tall order with our special teams) and he's taking it to the house.

"Man, it’s going to be a blowout, we going to win. The LSU moms are going to be packing their bags early and telling their sons ‘It’s okay, Johnny’, all that stuff.

After getting their *** handed to them, they will respond to their mother's like.....

tumblr_nbipjj0QLH1swbfwgo1_400.gif

Love our RB room. Lingard and Homer work themselves to the bone. Deejay has a great attitude. Cam seems cool AF. Burns is a bit of an unknown.

Loads of talent, work ethic, and great personalities.
Cam seems cool as fck? Please tell me you’re 13, little brother.

Advertisement
Hahahaha When i saw that last quote my jaw hit the floor thats wtf im talking about! **** yaa love that attitude be seeing way to much *****in about our team on here if you cant see we coming your blind! Love the kind of kids were bringing in. Everybody knows when Miami is winning an these tri county savages come together its over for college football!! Lo got me pumped asf cant wait go Canes.

- Lorenzo Lingard

Nominated for quote of the year

Advertisement
They are trying to be humble and reserved, but from Richt on down to the players they all seem very confident. They know the potential this year is very high. Best team in over a decade.

Let’s get it.

I say get Lingard and Cam some touches for 4 games and redshirt them both unless Lingard can take over as a starting PR or KR but Cam is an automatic redshirt.... and if they leave after 3 years anyway so be it.

Advertisement
Back