UMBC Series - RPI Killer

Jaromir Jagr

Senior
Banned
We will certainly sweep that series and everyone will be excited about how much better we look, but this series will not help one bit in the RPI department. Their schedule is full of teams that will finish in the 175-250 range. I guess we scheduled that series to get some easy early wins, but we have to be smarter in the future.

Advertisement
Do you think that inning with Gates sealed the deal with us losing the series?

Absolutely. Just terrible. It might have been you, but someone pointed out that we walked a guy who was hitting .067 on our way to giving up the bases clearing double. And we left Gates out there to do all of that.

We will certainly sweep that series and everyone will be excited about how much better we look, but this series will not help one bit in the RPI department. Their schedule is full of teams that will finish in the 175-250 range. I guess we scheduled that series to get some easy early wins, but we have to be smarter in the future.

Schedules are created years in advance and sometimes we don't get many options. You get teams scheduled that back out at the last minute and you gotta play someone. Not so much about "being smarter in the future" as it is trying to predict the future.

Schedules are created years in advance and sometimes we don't get many options. You get teams scheduled that back out at the last minute and you gotta play someone. Not so much about "being smarter in the future" as it is trying to predict the future.

Actually, that is not true. It's not like football. Baseball schedules are created in the summer and fall for the next season. It was our choice to play them, as they are willing to accept a check when they get here.

Notice how the football schedule was announced a few weeks after our last game, nearly 8 months in advance. The baseball schedule is always announced around mid-October. That's because it is being worked on in the fall.

Advertisement
Actually, that is not true. It's not like football. Baseball schedules are created in the summer and fall for the next season. It was our choice to play them, as they are willing to accept a check when they get here.

Notice how the football schedule was announced a few weeks after our last game, nearly 8 months in advance. The baseball schedule is always announced around mid-October. That's because it is being worked on in the fall.

I would like to see some form of confirmation that a 40+ game baseball season is scheduled literally months before the season. I don't buy that. I think it's being FINALIZED in the fall (specifically, the dates for the in-conference series), just like the football schedule is finalized relatively close to the season. But again, I cannot envision in any way that's when scheduling starts.

Absolutely. Just terrible. It might have been you, but someone pointed out that we walked a guy who was hitting .067 on our way to giving up the bases clearing double. And we left Gates out there to do all of that.

But, but, Gino is building something special! Save this post. We will be hoping to get a bid at the end of the season and not thinking for one second that we will win a regional.

I would like to see some form of confirmation that a 40+ game baseball season is scheduled literally months before the season. I don't buy that. I think it's being FINALIZED in the fall (specifically, the dates for the in-conference series), just like the football schedule is finalized relatively close to the season. But again, I cannot envision in any way that's when scheduling starts.

30 of those games are handed to you by the conference, and that doesn’t happen until the summer. Then each school fills in the other 26. We know we’re playing Florida, FIU, FGCU, and FAU. That’s, what, another 12 right there, mosty during the week. Then you fill in the other series.

They’re not trying to split the atom. Scheduling baseball series isn’t that complicated and doesn’t involve millions of dollars like in football.

But, but, Gino is building something special! Save this post. We will be hoping to get a bid at the end of the season and not thinking for one second that we will win a regional.

Im still willing to give him a chance throughout the season. I thought we were actually more competitive us UF this year than in years past

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back