UMBC - Game 1 (Win, 8-2)

No one looks at fielding percentage anymore. That’s a dead statistic. Balls that you don’t even get to because you’re not that good are never errors. Ever.

That's even better.

If you're going to make a silly claim like RedSquare did then the burden is on you to prove it. I doubt very much he was alluding to Defensive WAR or Defensive Runs Above Average.

He was merely relying on what most fanboys do: nostalgia.

Advertisement
That's even better.

If you're going to make a silly claim like RedSquare did then the burden is on you to prove it. I doubt very much he was alluding to Defensive WAR or Defensive Runs Above Average.

He was merely relying on what most fanboys do: nostalgia.

I don't know what he was referring to, but I know that you used an antiquated stat. Just own it.

Last edited:
That's all you had to say.

If anything was antiquated it was his corny nostalgia.

And your use of fielding percentage.

It is very likely that we had better fielders under Ron Fraser considering the sht show we put on the field these days. Fielding percentage, though, is not a stat you use to make that comparison.

Advertisement
Fielding percentage, though, is not a stat you use to make that comparison.

Fans complain about bad defense when errors are made. Nobody, especially not the geniuses here, are talking about range. They see Es in the box score and whine about poor defense.

Then they make up something about yesteryear to support their emotional state about the current defense.

Ah the fresh smell of revisionist history.

I looked back at Fraser's defense and compared them to our recent teams. I stopped at 7 years because any more would be overkill (and I'm tired).

Average Fielding %
2012-2018: .9693%
1986-1992: .9686%

Through 17 games this year: .9651%

We also have 4 errors committed by pitchers.

Nobody does things better than dead legends. They're the best. Unfortunately, a lot of it is myth-making.

other than this possibly being the least significant statistic in all of baseball, ... and that's saying something .... i agree with you.

Fans complain about bad defense when errors are made. Nobody, especially not the geniuses here, are talking about range. They see Es in the box score and whine about poor defense.

Then they make up something about yesteryear to support their emotional state about the current defense.

and i'm not being nostalgic. my point is one of philosophy, not dogma.

there's a difference there, my friend.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back