UMBC - Broom Game

Taking care of business vs teams against which we are supposed to - nice to see. I wonder If Jenkins' playing time is about to decline? I like Tuero's bat, and I suspect he'll be DH a bunch.

Advertisement
Off to a great start at 9-2. Record is not bad considering only 2 loses were away at #4 team in nation. We got mo going into ACC schedule.

Great to see the hitting improve. Great power day with 5 home runs. I was really worried after yesterday's poor showing. If the team continues to grow it could be special. We have a ton of great pitching. The defense is a concern as they seemed to get ackadaisical at times. Today was a good fielding day though. A great performance all around.!!!!

Maury emerging as another bullpen arm could be a key factor in just how special this team can be. I know we have very high expectations for our Canes baseball program, and the last few years have been poor, but this team is very good.

Advertisement
Maury emerging as another bullpen arm could be a key factor in just how special this team can be. I know we have very high expectations for our Canes baseball program, and the last few years have been poor, but this team is very good.
Maybe Maury evolves in being the closer.

Jagr happy today even with the Canes offensive explosion today. His Gators win twice today including 28-5 in one of the games over Winthrop.

Jagr happy today even with the Canes offensive explosion today. His Gators win twice today including 28-5 in one of the games over Winthrop.

Guy is a complete Gator. He gloats on their Board that he "has us in an uproar."

I have him on ignore, but I do post pictures of gnomes periodically......

Guy is a complete Gator. He gloats on their Board that he "has us in an uproar."

I have him on ignore, but I do post pictures of gnomes periodically......

Which completely explains why he spent a good part of the last 3 years defending Richt on the football forum. I put him on ignore a long time ago.

Advertisement

This is clearly a tourney team. Beyond that, it's too soon to say. Winning the UF series could have sold me (specifically game 2).

Gates got two ABs Sunday and smacked the ball each time. With Maury back perhaps they will let him pull double duty.

Advertisement
This is clearly a tourney team. Beyond that, it's too soon to say. Winning the UF series could have sold me (specifically game 2).

Yep, ACC play is where we can show we are limiting the beating of ourselves as we have in years past.

UFag means a lot to us, but in the grand scheme of things, hardly important if we are getting better as the year progresses, the way we should.

A squad like this can make you feel so much better about yourself. Give me a strong weekend v. GT next week.

UM

Advertisement

you're not concerned with the defense?

you're not concerned with the defense?

I think as the year goes along roles will become more defined, and they'll settle in as an average defensive team. They aren't going to be elite, but they don't really need to be. I will say that Tuero is pretty awful defensively at this point, so he probably needs to be limited in the amount of times he plays the field.

It's just that the most frustrating thing for a fan to see is a defense kick the ball, so it gets magnified in the minds of many.

all true.

but I just get back to the blueprint that made UM consistently elite among baseball powers, that ron fraser instilled:

"1. put the fastest offense on the field that you can find, one that can hit and run, steal bases, and manufacture runs

2. put the fastest defense on the field that you can find, one that can cover ground and play error free

3. Have pitchers that throw good breaking balls, and don't walk anyone."

I know it's great to have the big hitters, but the fact is, speed and defense show up every day. bats can take a vacation at the wort of times.

(CWS 1998 anyone??)

Tell me I'm wrong

Advertisement
Back