UM vs UF preview

Advertisement
Key paragraph from that entire preview:

"But the 2018 Gators were built around the run game and led by an OL with a four-year starter at LT in Martez Ivey and another multi-year starter and then NFL Draft pick at RT in Jawaan Taylor (besides a few other returning starters). In 2019, they’ll be starting over with a pair of returning starters inside and new tackles on either edge."

Can they run an effective offense with that inexperienced O line? I doubt it.

"But the 2018 Gators were built around the run game and led by an OL with a four-year starter at LT in Martez Ivey and another multi-year starter and then NFL Draft pick at RT in Jawaan Taylor (besides a few other returning starters). In 2019, they’ll be starting over with a pair of returning starters inside and new tackles on either edge."

Not to mention their OL now only has one Blue Chip player on it.

Advertisement
Taylor was a great RT. Was watching a replay of their game vs LSU and he was ragdolling Rashard Lawrence.

They were built around the running game, but it wasn't some juggernaut. Against P5 teams, they averaged 5.08 YPC, which was 20th in the country. Miami averaged 5.1 YPC, which was 17th. Was anyone singing the praises of the Miami run game last year?

So they were effective, but they weren't some unstoppable force.

Also, their offense the last 4 games is what pushed them up in the rankings and is pushing this recency bias that they had a good offense. In the last 4 games, they averaged 6.86 YPP, which for the entire season would've ranked them in the Top 10 nationally. That was against South Carolina, Idaho, FSU, and a depleted Michigan team. Nowhere near the talent and motivation they'll see on 8/24.

The first 9 games of the year, they averaged a more manageable 5.91 YPP, which for the entire season would've had them ranked 53rd in the country.

In Week 1, when the defense is always ahead of the offense, and breaking in a new line, you're going to see a gator offense much similar to what we saw the first 9 weeks of last year. I think Miami can hold them to around 5 YPP. And if so, Miami wins.

Advertisement
Between this article pointing out that the safeties carry a huge workload in deciphering run or pass and a recent ESPN article describing Florida's defense as blitz happy with it backfiring way too often I think Enos has a field day with the play action. Grantham vs Enos is advantage Enos all day

I mean, right out of the gate with that first play referenced we see a 31-14 game and the defense is playing at 15 yards soft underneath coverage...so not really a great example and I instantly lost credibility in the article lol.

2019 Florida will be 2018 Miami. Had a good previous season but came into the next year way overrated. And I promise once we beat them I will be that annoying fan on Twitter that hunts them down week 9 just to send them a screenshot of the score.

This game is going to come down to which coach takes more advantage of their matchups. Overall, the talent on the field is pretty even.

i think the one thing nobody can account for is who has the strategic advantage between manny and mullen... they have a lot of history together but i'm not sure who it benefits

Advertisement
Devils (Floridas) Advocate:

You want to see a team better at the end of the season rather than the beginning
"Also, their offense the last 4 games is what pushed them up in the rankings and is pushing this recency bias that they had a good offense. In the last 4 games, they averaged 6.86 YPP, which for the entire season would've ranked them in the Top 10 nationally. That was against South Carolina, Idaho, FSU, and a depleted Michigan team. Nowhere near the talent and motivation they'll see on 8/24. "

If you're going to return starter on the line best to have the center return:
"Only one of the Gators O-linemen on the field for that play will take the field for Florida against Miami: senior Nick Buchanan, who held things down at center. Buchanan was solid in 2018 and will now be counted on to direct the fresh recruits to his right and left "

Experienced safeties can make a young QB think he's seeing one thing and then pull the okey-doke on em:
"Todd Grantham’s defense returns six DBs who have started at least five games, "

Franks was consistent the last 4 games with comp % and INTs
"
Sat 12/29vsMICH7MICHW
41-15
CHICK-FIL-A PEACH BOWL
Sat 11/24@FSUFSUW
41-14
Sat 11/17vsIDAHOIDAHOW
63-10
Sat 11/10vsSCSCW
35-31
"

They've had a full 3 years of Manny blitzes to look at.

I put the over/under on Miami turnovers at 2 so gotta make sure that our D gives them nothing on those.

Run Run Run - Make those safeties uncomfortable and have them leaning forward.....It only takes a small window to have JT4 blow past one.
"often playing the safeties flat-footed at the snap while they read for run or pass. "

They were built around the running game, but it wasn't some juggernaut. Against P5 teams, they averaged 5.08 YPC, which was 20th in the country. Miami averaged 5.1 YPC, which was 17th. Was anyone singing the praises of the Miami run game last year?

YPC doesn;t translate well bewteen the SEC and ACC. Like I said last year this time when fools were saying we'd blow out LSU and they were a dumpster fire, their Front 7 worried me because it was recruited for and built to compete in the SEC against teams like Alabama and Georgia. This year they have a new O-line that will slow them down a lot from last year, but our O-line better **** sure show up against that D.

YPC doesn;t translate well bewteen the SEC and ACC. Like I said last year this time when fools were saying we'd blow out LSU and they were a dumpster fire, their Front 7 worried me because it was recruited for and built to compete in the SEC against teams like Alabama and Georgia. This year they have a new O-line that will slow them down a lot from last year, but our O-line better **** sure show up against that D.

Meanwhile the two best DLines in America last year were in the ACC.

Advertisement
Idk how accurate that article is if they’re banking on tommy Kennedy shoring up our oline. Granted it’s hard to know everything about every cfb team.

2019 Florida will be 2018 Miami. Had a good previous season but came into the next year way overrated. And I promise once we beat them I will be that annoying fan on Twitter that hunts them down week 9 just to send them a screenshot of the score.

This game is going to come down to which coach takes more advantage of their matchups. Overall, the talent on the field is pretty even.

Have a hard time seeing this Florida team going 7-6, but there will definitely be a fall from grace as they weren't as good as their record or rank.

Unranked to start the season. Lost to Kentucky. Beat #23 Mississippi State and #22 the next week.

Took down #5 LSU at home—the Tigers going from obscure to Top 5 after beating Miami—and that vaulted the Gators to #14, where a come-from-behind win at Vandy moved them to #9. Beat back-to-back by Georgia (36-17) and Missouri (38-17) and only dropped to #19 despite a 6-3 record?

Eked out a win over a bad South Carolina team. Beat up in Idaho and Florida State to end the season 9-3. Didn't win the SEC East and then pounded a demoralized Michigan team that never recovered from the *** kicking Ohio State laid on them.

All that "SEC" chatter—three of those wins came against Charleston Southern, Colorado State and Idaho. Only played three ranked teams in the regular season.

Advertisement
Back