UM V USC - A Recruiting Comparison

it wasn’t always all USC, prior to Petey, schools
like Nebraska, Colorado and Washington were
raiding top so. Cal talent. Kinda how we’re getting
poached from all comers nowadays smh

Advertisement
USC has much bigger money pumped pipelines than Miami.

South Florida has HS's that produce a lot of Miami players, but if you're a great player in Southern California and USC wants you, you're pretty much going there. Its just the way it is. USC has a much stronger pull for California kids than Miami does for Florida kids. ....plus they pay, which always helps.

The further you recruit from your school the more resources/money/ time you need to spend... SEC schools are doing just fine in the south east

It really baffles me how USC can be in similar state of despair as us and still pull in 2 5* Offensive weapons all while their new OC - all of 3+ weeks old is openly comptemlating leaving for the NFL. Juxtapose that with our situation on defense, where our defensive staff is retained, the architect of said defense is now the head coach, the scheme will not change, and we still lose out on all our top targets defensively. I cannot explain it. I’ve said it in the past, they are a program very similar to us: rich in tradition, national draw, private school in large urban setting, etc, but somehow they still do well recruiting. We, on the other hand seem to be a 2nd tier school in our own backyard - merely feeding on SEC rejects and/or scraps.

Mostly because USC is still paying players and they don’t have to go head to head w Bama and this bag schools as much as us.

Advertisement
That SEC pull isnt as strong once it starts passing say Idk New Mexico/Arizona...

But Id watch out with Tua going to Bama and them almost taking the #2 croot from cali under USCs and oregon's nose they might be on notice that Bama is fixing to set up shop and steal their kids too

Plus lets be honest at least USC has was on the PAC 12 recently enough.... we finally claimed our first **** Coastal division championship last year and promptly laid an egg the next year showing we were imposters

Bama wont get a SoCal kid

NorCal is where they recruit mostly

That SEC pull isnt as strong once it starts passing say Idk New Mexico/Arizona...

But Id watch out with Tua going to Bama and them almost taking the #2 croot from cali under USCs and oregon's nose they might be on notice that Bama is fixing to set up shop and steal their kids too

Plus lets be honest at least USC has was on the PAC 12 recently enough.... we finally claimed our first **** Coastal division championship last year and promptly laid an egg the next year showing we were imposters

which every P5 coach is telling our recruits

If USC was paying players, Chris Steele wouldn't have left and Bookie wouldn't be playing ball in Oklahoma.

Advertisement
You do realize USC does not have their own stadium on campus either.

The LA Coliseum is across the street from the USC campus.

The Coliseum is jointly owned by the State of California, Los Angeles County, City of Los Angeles and is managed and operated by the Auxiliary Services Department of the University of Southern California.

All of the above plus USC was what we were before we were. They have longer tradition of greatness and fame. Our star shined brighter than any other but theirs shined much much longer. While we destroyed our competition and overturned college football, they were part of that establishment(still as a private school not full fledged member). To regain its control the establishment had to destroy us and it did, with the help of our own tradious adminstration and BOT. Oh, I forgot to mention, USC is proud of thier football program and supports it fully. Notice they found a way to get and keep their historic old run down home stadium.

All of the above plus USC was what we were before we were. They have longer tradition of greatness and fame. Our star shined brighter than any other but theirs shined much much longer. While we destroyed our competition and overturned college football, they were part of that establishment(still as a private school not full fledged member). To regain its control the establishment had to destroy us and it did, with the help of our own tradious adminstration and BOT. Oh, I forgot to mention, USC is proud of thier football program and supports it fully. Notice they found a way to get and keep their historic old run down home stadium.

USC has been playing at the Coliseum since the 20's. It's a National Historic site which sits on campus. Also the only thing run down about it is the fact you have steep steps on the outside leading to your section and no true concourse.

Also its undergoing a renovation to modernize the stadium.

Advertisement
If USC was paying players, Chris Steele wouldn't have left and Bookie wouldn't be playing ball in Oklahoma.
You think Reggie Bush was a one off?? No one at this point should that naive to think a program like USC doesn't pay player, EVERY major D1 school in America pays in one way or another.

They 100% paid Trevor Trout last year.

Advertisement
USC has been playing at the Coliseum since the 20's. It's a National Historic site which sits on campus. Also the only thing run down about it is the fact you have steep steps on the outside leading to your section and no true concourse.

Also its undergoing a renovation to modernize the stadium.

Exactly. It is a walk across Exposition Boulevard from the main campus. I have compared it to the Canes playing at a stadium on the other side of Dixie Highway. At USC the walk to the Coliseum is a part of the game day atmosphere and pageantry. There are events all over campus all day long. The band begins near the Heritage Hall/Physical Education Building area, then makes its way toward Tommy Trojan in the heart of campus, and finally the 90 degree turn toward the Coliseum. Fans follow alongside. The tradition is to smile and moo like a cow while crossing Exposition Boulevard because it indeed feels like being part of a herd.

Recruits experience that walk, along with the serene campus and the splash of color on game day. Song girls performing up on stage as Conquest blares.

Meanwhile the Canes have a 45 minute drive to a pro stadium barely inside the same county.

I don't care about all the arguments. I have heard various versions for more than a decade, all the latest rationalizations why we are losing out on recruits in the late going. Without exception the arguments focus on some recent development. We aren't winning. We don't have offense. Then the cynics dependably chime in with bags. Meanwhile the trend should never be so incredibly consistent. How can one school always have early top notch commits then lose them late? I know applied odds. That tendency doesn't apply to any other program, not to this volume. There should be normal distribution...some years gaining ground late while other years losing kids late.

I predicted more than a decade ago on Rivals that the late decommit trend would be our norm. I didn't even know the term bags. But I have experienced USC game day countless times and likewise the drab basically non-existent Miami version. I love how Canes fans actually believe we have a game day. They sit in that parking lot and think it is a college atmosphere. Sorry. It is the equivalent of staying at home and going to junior college, while thinking you didn't miss out on anything compared to friends who went away to school at a 4-year university.

I'll stick with my big picture prediction that the trend will persist. Everyone else can scramble for the latest details. Lotsa luck.

Have any of you been to USC ever?

Its an incredible institution of higher learning. Its absolutely beautiful, modernized, and has every bell and whistle you could imagine as a student, student-athlete, etc. And they also sit on one of the most historic football sites in the country and never shied away from it.

I can only imagine a prospective student-athlete walking onto that campus and having their life change from the experience. One of the most beautiful, modern campuses in the country.

Advertisement
Back